Thread: Argentina will claim the falklands back within 20 years

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Argentina will claim the falklands back within 20 years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21348169. Why? Because by the time Cameron has finished we will not have any troops left.

ok my husband just showed me where the falklands are, I dont get it, Thats like Argentina claiming the Isle of Wight!!!, C'mon let them have Islas Malvinas back...My husband has a better idea lets just swap them Canvey Island for it.
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    ok my husband just showed me where the falklands are, I dont get it, Thats like Argentina claiming the Isle of Wight!!!, C'mon let them have Islas Malvinas back...My husband has a better idea lets just swap them Canvey Island for it.
    Like everything, it gets complicated.

At one time, Britain was involved in a world wide land grab - Empire building if you like. At the time, it was something people believed in, that untamed lands should come under the "wise rule" of Europe.
    Despite what some of the apologists would like us to believe, the arrival of the Europeans must have been a welcome relief, as especially in Africa, the local rulers were incredibly nasty.
    Of course, the whole empire idea ended, as throughout history as soon as people become "comfortable" and by comparison well off, they want to rule themselves - or an elite wants a piece of the action. Empires shouldn't have happened on reflection, the rule wasn't always benign, but that's history.

So back to the Falklands, this was an area claimed by Britain - presumably to secure southern sea routes. The British were there before Argentina existed....important point.

Argentina decided later they fancied these islands, as they were so near presumably. They have been arguing for them ever since.

Britain probably doesn't really want them, but after the Argentine invasion in the 80's, it's near politically impossible to ever think of giving them away. I've heard also that the locals aren't the loyal British people the media might like you to think, but are.....let's say not exactly friendly.

Another little known thing - neither Britain or Argentina wants to take the question to an international neutral arbitrator. Reason being, the decision could go either way - Argentina knows full well their claim is pretty shaky indeed.

Another little known thing, Britain helped build Argentina in the first place, and was one of Britains oldest friends. Rather a pity things have turned so sour over a bit of rock.

Bet it's all down to oil

Quote Originally Posted by Iani View Post
    Britain probably doesn't really want them
    's been MY suspicion all along! ... so WHY all the hoo-ha? Unless ...

Quote Originally Posted by iani View Post
    ... it's all down to oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Iani View Post
    Like everything, it gets complicated.

At one time, Britain was involved in a world wide land grab - Empire building if you like. At the time, it was something people believed in, that untamed lands should come under the "wise rule" of Europe.
    Despite what some of the apologists would like us to believe, the arrival of the Europeans must have been a welcome relief, as especially in Africa, the local rulers were incredibly nasty.
    Of course, the whole empire idea ended, as throughout history as soon as people become "comfortable" and by comparison well off, they want to rule themselves - or an elite wants a piece of the action. Empires shouldn't have happened on reflection, the rule wasn't always benign, but that's history.

So back to the Falklands, this was an area claimed by Britain - presumably to secure southern sea routes. The British were there before Argentina existed....important point.

Argentina decided later they fancied these islands, as they were so near presumably. They have been arguing for them ever since.

Britain probably doesn't really want them, but after the Argentine invasion in the 80's, it's near politically impossible to ever think of giving them away. I've heard also that the locals aren't the loyal British people the media might like you to think, but are.....let's say not exactly friendly.

Another little known thing - neither Britain or Argentina wants to take the question to an international neutral arbitrator. Reason being, the decision could go either way - Argentina knows full well their claim is pretty shaky indeed.

Another little known thing, Britain helped build Argentina in the first place, and was one of Britains oldest friends. Rather a pity things have turned so sour over a bit of rock.

Bet it's all down to oil
    Adding on to this, France was the first country to attempt a settlement on the Islands, and Britain tried a little more successfully just after that without knowing about the French presence. Then I believe Spain acquired the French part of the Islands somehow. But both nations effectively withdrew due to other commitments around the world, and it was during this short absence that the United Provinces of the River Plate as it was then called (which I do believe included modern day Uruguay and Bolivia aswell as Northern Argentina) made their claim to the Islands after a fishing boat got stranded and used the Islands for shelter. They attempted a settlement and failed, and 13 years later Britain returned again and have been there ever since.

Argentina has never ruled the Falklands (excluding the occupation of 1982). Bolivia and Uruguay has just as much claim as Argentina has, aswell as France and Spain. Fact remains, Britain's settlement survived and will remain. Island's proximity to another nation is irrelevant. The Faroe Islands would be ours and not Denmarks, Jersey and Guernsey would be French etc etc.

The problem is british people live there. As he said it is part of the british empire. To be honest it only came to my attention when argentina invaded it and thatcher used it as a political crowbar. I agree it is closer to argentina.

Trusted Member
    When the Argentinians return 'their' country to the native indians from whom they stole it, perhaps we might be willing to consider their ridiculous claim.

Like I have said graham we wont have any choice but to give it up.

Trusted Member
    Not until we've extracted the resources...if ever.

oil i bet it is too,

but what a waste of money the falklands war will have been just to give it away in 20 yrs

if theres no oil

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    oi'll bet it is too ...
    ... pah ... ... you've beaten me to it, Stewart!

I was in the navy during the falklands war and i,ll always remember that night drinking a pint when the newsflash came on with good ol trevor mcdonald saying h.m.s sheffield had been hit by a missile i nearly crapped ma pants you could hear a pin drop in the naafi bar lol I thought .... i,m gonna die here lol anyway I was,nt used in the end ,but it was a shock al the same .but if they decided to have another go there is nothing we could do to stop them as we don,t have an aircraft carrier right now which made all the difference .but there is one thing that is stopping them a under water menace lol we have got a nuclear sub patroling on there doorstep at all times lol

Trusted Member
    We don't even have any Harriers either.

My dad was 30 years RN.

Trusted Member
    Ah tell them to Falk orf.

Thread Information