As I walked to church yesterday evening, I crossed a park and noticed a young lady sitting on a bench - I'm not quite sure why I took notice, there was probably just something which made me think she was in need.

An hour and a half later, as I was heading home again, she was still sitting there. I stopped to ask her whether she was okay. "No", she replied, bursting into tears. I found a clean handkerchief, and gave it to her to catch the drops. I asked what the problem was. "I want to die" was the response.

As I continued to talk to her, I learned that she had walked about 5 miles (8 kms) to this park on the previous evening, and had been sitting there for almost 24 hours. She was 22 years old and her name was Laura. Her family wouldn't allow her to live at home, so she lived in a care home (mental care, I guess) but wasn't happy there so she had walked out. Apparently, I was the first person to have spoken to her in all that time.

I was just wondering what I could do for her - contact her family who didn't want her, contact the care home where she was unhappy, would the police want to get involved, could I take her home? - when she volunteered the information that she had drunk some anti-freeze (for those from warmer climes, I should explain that anti-freeze is an alcohol-based mixture that is used in car cooling systems to prevent them freezing up during cold weather - it is poisonous).

Well, that solved my dilemma - she needed to receive medical attention as a priority. I asked how long ago she had drunk it - she couldn't remember. I asked whether she had eaten or drunk anything else in the 24 hours - no, she hadn't. Would she come with me if I offered to take her to hospital? Yes, she nodded. I enquired whether the remains of the anti-freeze were in the plastic carrier bag at her side. "Yes", she replied.

I took the bag, helped her to stand and supported her on the 15 minute walk back to my house. We were part way home when she muttered quietly: "I mustn't go with strangers." I tried to reassure her that I had no ill intent. When we reached the house, I suggested that she would feel safer not coming indoors, and could wait outside. She agreed, and sat on the ground. I went in the house only for long enough to lay down my hymn book, pick up the car key and open the garage door.

I came back out - yes she was still sitting there. I got the car out of the garage, sat her in the passenger seat, and drove to the local A&E. When we arrived at hospital, I took Laura to the reception desk and explained the situation. The receptionist asked Laura for her name and contact details. Yes, she was already in the hospital records system. We sat and waited for a few minutes to be seen by a triage nurse. The nurse took vital obs, estimated the amount missing from the anti-freeze bottle and then asked me to leave the cubicle while she talked to Laura some more.

I didn't see Laura again, but the nurse came to let me know that the amount of anti-freeze missing could be fatal, if drunk, and that Laura had been admitted for treatment. I asked for a phone number so that I could enquire after Laura's condition, and left mine, in case she might need a friend to talk to at some time in the future.

What this poor girl needs, more than anything else, is for someone to love her. Why does no one care?