HI my filipina wife who is due to apply for ILR in August 2013, we are expecting our first baby in approx 10 weeks, I want to apply for the sure start maternity grant which can be claimed 11 weeks before the baby is born but I need ensure this is claimed in my name only due to my wife no recourse to public funds restriction, as I am on disability related income benefits, it entitled me to put in a claim but when we visited the midwife to ask her to sign the section to be completed by the health professional and assign it in my name only, the midwife refused and explained she can only put my wife name on it, as the questions on the form was related to the mother being consulted in respect of an expected child and the number of weeks the mother is due to give birth etc. she also mentioned she never come across a situation like ours before, that maybe it was possible to assign it in my name after the baby is born.

So is it correct to go ahead and claim the grant by doing the following

1) with only my wife name listed in the section to be completed by a health proffesional.

2) with my name listed as the claimnant where it ask about you and partner on page 1 of the main form and will put my wife name in the partner section.

3) I will also inform them in the further information section of the form that my wife has no recourse to public fund and I want the claim to be payable in my name only.

4) sign the form in my name only.

or do I need to wait until after the the baby until the baby is born before making a claim.

Your advice is appreciated.