Thread: The end of Britain.

The end of Britain.

WARNING: What you're about to see is controversial.and may be alarming to some audiences. Viewer discretion is advised.

http://pro.moneyweek.com/myk-eob/LMYKP217/

the end of britain, the end of european union, who knows just give me a few more years to save hard and it will be welcome to the phils and hello bohol

I've been following this web site for yrs, waiting for the house prices to crash for 10yrs, it still hasn't happened

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

House prices won't crash. At worse they will "bump along the bottom", which in real terms is as good as a reduction.

These sites and analysis are all very good, but they deal with just one "what if" scenario.
    Of course, all civilisations eventually fell in one way or another. A reversal is due, but in what form it will take - who knows.
    I read an analysis recently which suggests Britain is changing, but has a few hundred years left in it yet

in my line of work, transport/parcel carrier, we have never been as busy these last few years, its just amazing how much work seems to be coming in, yes it could change any minute, look at the economy, a few years ago the recession hit us and they still say we are in it, can anyone tell, the only difference i see is i save and dont spend money, but walk into town at the weekend and you see the shops full,

walk into any town here, all you see is closed down shops, increase in charity shops and pawn shops, this decline started about 10 yrs ago

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    walk into any town here, all you see is closed down shops, increase in charity shops and pawn shops, this decline started about 10 yrs ago
    super markets help kill the sole trader off

Fred probably doesn't know if you go in any large asda supermarket today, you'll find they got their own pharmacy in there, opticians, photo processing, watch repair, travel money etc, so they've replaced the high street shops.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

pawn shops , loan shops, so many are around, i think there are 4 on the same street in derby city centre

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    pawn shops , loan shops, so many are around, i think there are 4 on the same street in derby city centre
    i've got 4 polish shops on the main road where i live

Trusted Member
    The beginning of the end started back in 1972 with all the Ugandan Asians, then Ted Heath drove in the final nail with EU membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Iani View Post
    House prices won't crash. At worse they will "bump along the bottom", which in real terms is as good as a reduction.

These sites and analysis are all very good, but they deal with just one "what if" scenario.
    Of course, all civilisations eventually fell in one way or another. A reversal is due, but in what form it will take - who knows.
    I read an analysis recently which suggests Britain is changing, but has a few hundred years left in it yet

I dont think they (Moneyweek) ever issued any "What if" scenarios.

Compared to the size of our economy, Britain is now one of the most heavily indebted countries in the Western world. That's official. Our total debts stand at more than FIVE TIMES what our entire economy is worth.
    "Proportionally, that's more debt than Italy… Portugal… Spain… and almost twice as much debt as Greece."

Debts total 900% of Britains economy. Thats not a what if.. It is!!

Interest rates are abnormally low and this is the reason that house prices remain high along with the countries debt. In this current parliament we will add more to the national debt than every other govt put together in the last century. Our debt including unfunded liabilities such as public sector pensions is verging on 900% of our national earnings. Many of the biggest banks with the most toxic balance sheets are based here. State spending was less than £200bn a year in 1990 - its now nearly £700bn a mere 20 years later.
    To say that interest rates will eventually rise is not a "What if" statement..
    They will definitely rise eventually and so will the countries interest payments.
    Thats when Britain will be Bankrupt.
    I agree with them.. Our UK savings and pension funds are not safe..

At least we cannot say that we were not warned.

Trusted Member
    None of the 'wise' men and women in government and their cronies will be going hungry.

I suppose if you scare enough people they'll subscribe to the magazine.
    According to the IMF who are not trying to flog you a subscription our debt stands at 82.5% of GDP and we sit in 20th place just above Germany whose debt is 81.5% of GDP.
    Interestingly Top spot goes to Japan whose debt is 229.8% followed by Greece at 163.3 and not far behind and ahead of us are Italy Portugal Ireland and USA all with debt figures in excess of 100% of GDP. You still have to pass Belgium France and Canada before you arrive at The UK.
    Yes we're certainly not healthy but there's quite a few in a worse state.
    We just need a strong Government who can tackle our problems properly by putting people back to work and paying taxes thereby reducing the dependency on state hand outs and sending the freeloaders back from whence they came.

According to the IMF who are not trying to flog you a subscription our debt stands at 82.5% of GDP and we sit in 20th place just above Germany whose debt is 81.5% of GDP.
    Just wondering though..Do those IMF debt figures for the UK include pension contributions etc etc? I dont think so.

What is the Real Level of UK National Debt?

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/33...national-debt/

I find the next bit incredible!!

• Total UK debt includes household sector debt, business sector debt, financial sector debt and government debt. This is over 500% of GDP.

There are always crises but we always seem to pull through.

My dad told me that during the Cuban missile crises people would go to bed at night fearing that they may not wake up in the morning. We're still here though.

This might help explain UK national debt.

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/33...national-debt/

The indicators show that the housing market is beginning to pick up, even outside London, where there was little impact from the crash in 2007.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21681511

Mortgage rates are at an all-time low. You can get a 5 year fixed rate of 2.79% fee free with a 40% deposit. Even first time buyers can get 2 year fixed rates for under 3.75% with a 10% deposit.

The retail chains that have fallen have, to a large part, been masters of their own demise. It's not just due to supermarkets but on-line retailers, especially those that don't pay Corporation Tax, and out-of-town retail parks.

Blockbusters, HMV, Jessops, Woolworths, Comet etc have been failures-in-waiting.

Times, technology and the way that people shop have changed but these companies haven't reacted sufficiently to those changes. Adapt or die.

The estimate is that by 2015 more that £40 billion will be spent over the internet or mobile phones.

A large amount of that is money that would otherwise have been spent in the High Streets. We have to accept that has a knock-on effect and that High Streets, as we know them, will never be the same.

Employment/unemployment figures are encouraging and have been showing month on month employment over the last year.

The employment rate of 71% is the highest since records began in 1971. Unemployment is 7.7% compared to 11.9% in the eurozone. France (eurozone's second largest economy) has 10.6% unemployment whilst Italy (third largest) is 11.7%. Germany has 5.3%.

Of course there are some on here who have their own political agenda and will 'rubbish' these figures but, whilst we are in a mess, it's not as bad as some will have you believe.

Certainly not the end of Britain.

What you have said is all well and good. Try telling the ones out of work who cannot get a job. Its all a smokescreen.

maybe the employment rate is the highest since records began but how many of these people are working part time ? from watching the news recently I'm sure it said many more people are working part time (and probably claiming benefits that they couldn't claim if working full time)

by far from the end of Britain there are many countries worse off than us

Of coarse there are many working part time. But in non productive jobs and this is used to doctor the figures. But a lot of people are to stupid to see it. Yes there are countries worse off than us. How long before we are in the same sinking boat?. I had a tax letter yesterday my tax code went up. WOW but Im not stupid because the budget is coming up and I know for a fact they will take off me more than they give me.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Can't be that bad because we havent returned to the three day week yet!

Yet.

Conservative party control unemployment during the 1980's.
    or the really dark days of the 1980's

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Can't be that bad because we havent returned to the three day week yet!
    i would love a three day week holiday instead of the two day week holiday

this is where you must plan for yourself , who knows what is around the corner, save save SAVE is all we can do to prepare to move or just survive, me i dont want to just survive i want to live the few years i have nice , not afraid and healthy, but i cant see that here in England

The thing is that the significant majority of jobs that have been created are not part-time but full-time positions - and not in the public sector.

The economists have been surprised by this too - but that is what is happening.

No doctoring of figures, I have no idea what relevance your comment on productive jobs has.

Are you saying that it has to be production of something to make it a valid job?

No im saying if your in a productive job your producing things. Things that can be exported. Like we used to do. Dont get me wrong a job is a job. But I am talking about manufacturing. I remember the days (and I am not being sexist) When the man went to work and the lady of the house had a choice. She could stay at home or work. Nowadays it needs the 2 of you to work. And it was a much better society.

Trusted Member
    As the birthplace of the industrial revolution, our country has demonstrated very well and for a great many years that it is perfectly capable of PRODUCING our steel, plastics, textiles, industrial machinery, electronic equipment, chemicals, ceramics, white goods, televisions and other electrical household goods, bicycles, motor vehicles, railway locomotives and rolling stock, ships, aeroplanes, plus any other manufactured goods you care to mention.

If British consumers hadn't spent the 70s onwards whining about home produced goods, and instead supported their home market and made an effort to improve production quality and working conditions, rather than buying imported goods and putting themselves out of work, yes there would be PROPER jobs available to all.

None of us were forced to buy Japanese cars and TVs, Italian washing machines etc.

Please don't tell me that the imported goods were bettter quality or more reliable, because that is rubbish.
    They may have been slightly cheaper due to their governments subsidising prices, and of course the cheap labour costs, but who were the real winners and losers ?

1,700 apply for eight Costa Coffee jobs
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21522522

Part-time employment increased in the three months to September by 49,000 to 8.1m, close to a record high, while the number of people working part-time because they could not find a full-time job reached 1.4m, up 143,000 over the year. Almost half of the rise in employment is due to part-time working, the figures showed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/j...that-well.html

Thread Information