Quote Originally Posted by Iani View Post
House prices won't crash. At worse they will "bump along the bottom", which in real terms is as good as a reduction.

These sites and analysis are all very good, but they deal with just one "what if" scenario.
Of course, all civilisations eventually fell in one way or another. A reversal is due, but in what form it will take - who knows.
I read an analysis recently which suggests Britain is changing, but has a few hundred years left in it yet

I dont think they (Moneyweek) ever issued any "What if" scenarios.

Compared to the size of our economy, Britain is now one of the most heavily indebted countries in the Western world. That's official. Our total debts stand at more than FIVE TIMES what our entire economy is worth.
"Proportionally, that's more debt than Italy… Portugal… Spain… and almost twice as much debt as Greece."

Debts total 900% of Britains economy. Thats not a what if.. It is!!

Interest rates are abnormally low and this is the reason that house prices remain high along with the countries debt. In this current parliament we will add more to the national debt than every other govt put together in the last century. Our debt including unfunded liabilities such as public sector pensions is verging on 900% of our national earnings. Many of the biggest banks with the most toxic balance sheets are based here. State spending was less than £200bn a year in 1990 - its now nearly £700bn a mere 20 years later.
To say that interest rates will eventually rise is not a "What if" statement..
They will definitely rise eventually and so will the countries interest payments.
Thats when Britain will be Bankrupt.
I agree with them.. Our UK savings and pension funds are not safe..

At least we cannot say that we were not warned.