View Poll Results: Would you like to stay and live in the UK or the Philippines?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I want to stay in the UK

3 27.27%
  • No, I want to live in the Philippines

3 27.27%
  • I will live where ever my partner and I are happy

5 45.45%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changed Days

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking Changed Days

Myrna and I live on the outskirts of Perth. Often - while standing waiting at the bus stop - we "bump into" a chatty ... an octogenarian, named Marie.

Marie first came here some 60~odd years ago to marry a Scot. Now, long-widowed, she appears to occupy much of her time traipsing back and forth to a local Bingo Hall - with a considerable degree of success, by all accounts.

... THAT'S as by the way; the point I'm trying to stress IS: According to Marie, back in the 1950s, it was standard practice for a woman from abroad - entering into a contract of marriage with a UK national - to IMMEDIATELY and thus "AUTOMATICALLY" become a British Citizen. No expensive, INTERMEDIATE visa fees necessary THEN! ... like I've indicated above:-

Changed days !!!!!

Yes indeed Arthur.
    I know just what's it's like to very naively believe that to be the case.
    As in our case back in year 2002 when we first decided to come to UK and take care of my elderly parents.

When we really discovered the application details we were well and truly flummoxed, and also disappointed.

Now looking back at all the changes, challenges and complexities I can only think how lucky we were.
    It really seems that those of us who take that path are the very easy targets. Our honesty and dedication to our loved ones gets trashed time and time again by our politicians. It's a disgrace.

Whoops!! sorry Arthur. I nearly went into rant mode again.

I really feel so sad for those folks who will face even tougher challenges in the future. In my mind it's completely wrong that politicians can control who we fall in love with and want to spend our lives with.
    Especially when it comes down to money. How much you've got and how much much you earn.

We're both lucky Arthur. We managed to achieve our aspirations and find happiness.

We must do the best we can to support those who want to follow the same path that we did and to do all we can to bring their hopes and dreams into reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Yes indeed Arthur.
    I know just what's it's like to very naively believe that to be the case.
    As in our case back in year 2002 when we first decided to come to UK and take care of my elderly parents.

When we really discovered the application details we were well and truly flummoxed, and also disappointed.
    ... I'll bet you were, Peter - and that was more than a decade ago, too!! I must admit to complete naivety about the lo~ng and tortuous trail [read also trials] ahead of me in 2007 when I began 12 months' of almost daily email correspondence with Myrna.

Now looking back at all the changes, challenges and complexities I can only think how lucky we were.
    Oh, indeed ... it was bad enough in January 2009, when Myrna lodged her Spousal Visa application. But NOW ... !

There again, she was fortunate in being granted her visa in just a little over 4 weeks - at a time when we'd been advised by VFS, to expect a waiting period of 3 months' minimum for settlement.

It really seems that those of us who take that path are the very easy targets. Our honesty and dedication to our loved ones gets trashed time and time again by our politicians. It's a disgrace.
    Absolutely ... wholeheartedly!

I really feel so sad for those folks who will face even tougher challenges in the future.
    ... so do I!

In my mind it's completely wrong that politicians can control who we fall in love with and want to spend our lives with.
    Especially when it comes down to money. How much you've got and how much much you earn.
    really gets my dander up! ... it's totally unforgivable that genuine couples wanting nothing more than to carve out a life for themselves are being forced to jump through a steadily-increasing number of hoops - while our politicians seem "powerless" to deport 'preachers of hate' and others whose activities present an ongoing threat to the safety and wellbeing of this country.

We're both lucky Arthur. We managed to achieve our aspirations and find happiness.

We must do the best we can to support those who want to follow the same path that we did and to do all we can to bring their hopes and dreams into reality.
    Once again, ... on BOTH counts.

Good posts guys.

Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Good posts guys.
    That's kind of you, Andy ...

Trusted Member
    Cost me forty quid for the visa back in 91'.

Had to dig out the emergency cash from under the mattress.

Airfares were still £550-£700 though.

I remember my wife attending two interviews with a very helpful lady at the Embassy.
    Have to say they were very fair and very helpful.

This is exactly the thing that forced me to go the other way, but to be honest, what is the real 'draw' to the UK these days? My parents keep telling me it was the best thing I ever did to leave.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    My parents keep telling me it was the best thing I ever did to leave.
    lol, sound like they bought me the ticket and said 'GO!'

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    This is exactly the thing that forced me to go the other way, but to be honest, what is the real 'draw' to the UK these days? My parents keep telling me it was the best thing I ever did to leave.
    20 odd years ago my mum was not happy that i had given up my 'good job' and the company car i was about to get. 20 odd years later my mum says exactly the same thing as your parents. Funny how even older people's thoughts about the UK have changed.

Banned
    it bemuses me the number of brits who knock this country and want to move away to greener grass.

why do they think so many foreign nationals want to come here?

get real guys.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    it bemuses me the number of brits who knock this country and want to move away to greener grass.

why do they think so many foreign nationals want to come here?

get real guys.
    Bigmac, did i knock the UK??

I have a nice big piece of grass.

Banned
    i wasnt pointing the finger at any one individual. throughout my life ive heard loads of moaners knocking the UK---but they rarely do anything about it. many of those that did try pastures new came scuttling back moaning that it was far worse than here.

i really do think life in the UK is better now than its ever been---and i'm sure many who have settled here would agree.

i really do think life in the UK is better now than its ever been---and i'm sure many who have settled here would agree.
    How do you work than one out?

Trusted Member
    Well I'm sure it's certainly an improvement on Lagos, Sierra Leone or Islamabad.

Bigmac, I have to disagree with you. Although I can see both sides of the argument, it completely depends on your outlook on life. I have worked abroad and quite often you meet the wrong type of people who will moan at anything that isn't 'like it is at home' Brits, Americans, Aussi's all of them. They play the big 'I am' expat, but quite often have no intension of trying to adapt to their new country's culture. These are the ones who, in the end come home bleating about how crap it is in this country and that country and how they miss the comforts of home . I spent a couple of years in Saudi (many years ago) and that place attracted so many of life's losers (not me lol, I was only 21) and all they did was bleat about how great home was. They never wanted to educate themselves about the culture or way of life, they just wanted to drink, gamble and try to chat up the Filipina nurses from the local hospital. I on the other hand had a great time, exploring, photographing and mixing with the locals, who are actually nice people. So, being abroad is not for all people and many will come back, but many will also adapt and stay away.

Banned
    and enough persons from the EEA are only too happy to come here. must be a reason.

and enough persons from the EEA are only too happy to come here. must be a reason.
    The thing you seem to be not thinking about is the fact that the government has come up with some stupid rule that you must earn X amount to bring your loved one to the UK.

I cant imagine how i would feel if i was in their shoes. Actually i know how i would feel and it wouldn't be pro UK.

The only reasons I can see are benefits nhs and free education. Nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    The only reasons I can see are benefits nhs and free education. Nothing else.
    And roast beef and a good supply of Marmite and Branston pickle.

Banned
    i AM in those shoes--and ive been told to stop whinging about the new rules by someone who got in under the old rules.

but i'm in the position where i can make alternative arrangements---including emigrating if i want to--but why should i--i'm British and proud of it.

i AM in those shoes--and ive been told to stop whinging about the new rules by someone who got in under the old rules.

but i'm in the position where i can make alternative arrangements---including emigrating if i want to--but why should i--i'm British and proud of it.
    Sorry to here that.

So why are you so proud to be British if the state is treating you so badly?

Well said

Banned
    So why are you so proud to be British if the state is treating you so badly?

i'm now a pensioner--so the state is actually treating me very well indeed.

but--as regards the sponsorship income rules---well--lets be honest--the govt. had to start somewhere. at least it isnt £50,000 a year.

how any young person can manage on an income of £18600---and keep a roof over their head--beats me. so to bring in a future dependant on a lower income--i cant see how it could ever work.

Banned
    @steve.r---oh i'm all for those adventurous enough to seek pastures new and make a go of a new life on foreign shores---but i get a bit bit hacked of with those that just knock Britain --usually due to some personal " injustice " like a rubbish job--or the lack of even that.

ive had to do some jobs i hated--and moved around in search of even those--to make ends meet. but i still think i am better of here--with the devil i know.

Bigmac, even though i agree with some of the things you have said i am confused

You have a girlfriend/wife that can not come to the UK but you choose your country rather than being with them?

@steve.r---oh i'm all for those adventurous enough to seek pastures new and make a go of a new life on foreign shores---but i get a bit bit hacked of with those that just knock Britain --usually due to some personal " injustice " like a rubbish job--or the lack of even that.

ive had to do some jobs i hated--and moved around in search of even those--to make ends meet. but i still think i am better of here--with the devil i know.
    Like I said, I see both sides. But what hacks me off more are the people who constantly moan about the country but just sit on their fat rears and cant be bothered to make a change for the good.

Banned
    Originally Posted by bigmac

oh--simply based on my 65 years of living in this country---including the first 23 years in birmingham--same place as you looking at your location.

Originally Posted by bigmac

oh--simply based on my 65 years of living in this country---including the first 23 years in birmingham--same place as you looking at your location.
    Come back to Birmingham and you won't be saying the same.

Maybe life here is rosy now for you but for millions of others I doubt if they would share the same sentiments what with high living costs ,debt problems and lack of jobs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information