Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop momitor problem

Laptop momitor problem

Hello Guys,
    Just want your expertise to tell me what happened to my laptop.
    After 6 months of using my laptop, i was surprise that the monitor switched off (while i was using). I tried to turn it off, and turned it on again, formatting, etc. but the monitor still stays black. So my husband said that its still in warranty, so we sent it back to Acer who were hopeless.
    The first time they said it was the hard drive, this was replaced and the problem still persisted. I sent it back a second time and they replaced the memory. And the third time they did nothing. They said there was nothing wrong with it.
    But after all this, the problem was the same. The only way I could use it was by linking it up to the TV or monitor, through a HDMI cable.
    The laptop screen does work about 5% of the time, very rarely. It seems to take notions and always on start up it works while loading windows and then would switch off.

Hope someone can tell what is really wrong in my monitor.

Thanks in advance.

I know this sounds a bit far fetched but its not going into sleep mode is it after windows boots up?

No, les_taxi, its not in sleep mode :(

Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options.
    from there it doesn't matter which plan you pick (Balanced, Power Saver, High Performance). choose one and click Change Plan Settings, then Change Advanced Power Settings.
    Under Procecessor Power Management, make sure the Minimum and Maximum settings are at 100%

have you checked the settings and sure its not going in to sleep mode /standby?
    though i think if it was that then maybe it wouldnt work on tv,

other than that i dont know

just googled this set of queries maybe here somewhere
    https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...w=1920&bih=912

Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    from there it doesn't matter which plan you pick (Balanced, Power Saver, High Performance). choose one and click Change Plan Settings, then Change Advanced Power Settings.
    Under Procecessor Power Management, make sure the Minimum and Maximum settings are at 100%

We've done this the first time, but its still the same.

Just wondering if its a video card problem?

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    have you checked the settings and sure its not going in to sleep mode /standby?
    though i think if it was that then maybe it wouldnt work on tv,

other than that i dont know
    Yes, imagine, we've done that before. The problem still persist.

Try propping laptop of desk so air gets under it,a lot of laptops overheat

I have a laptop stand and fan under it.

Thank you very much for the replies, les_taxi

Acer seem a poor company,my sister had one a few years back and after numerous returns she got her money back.
    Might be worth mentioning watchdog or something like that.
    Ask for money back or at least a replacement

Acer seem a poor company,my sister had one a few years back and after numerous returns she got her money back.
    Thats a good idea!!! hahaha. Thanks very much!

But its not under warranty anymore :(

maybe you could get into the Bios and have a look through that and if all ace fails just reset your Bios to default-anything is worth a go

might be worth running check disc scan, nothing to loose by trying

does it work fine all the time when you use your hdmi cable ?

when the display goes black - does the laptop still appear still to be working ok apart from no display ? does the caps lock work etc or has it shutdown or gone in standby ?
    if you connect the hdmi cable and switch to external display is it still working ?

if so sounds like either the display cable is loose ( or faulty) that goes from the system board to the display or it might be the inverter board\back light is faulty- can you see anything at all on the display - look under a bright light.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Respected Member
    Another simple check, but have you tried pressing the "Fn" key with "F5". this should switch between the laptop screen and an external display.

I'm typing this on an Acer laptop now. I bought it about 2 years ago, when it was cheap and quite high spec. However, after 18 months, small vertical lines appeared on the screen and they're getting worse! It's over a year, so it's out of warranty, but I expect a laptop to last more than 18 months. I won't be buying another Acer!

The HP I use at work feels solid and is built very well, even if it is a bit heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    does it work fine all the time when you use your hdmi cable ?

when the display goes black - does the laptop still appear still to be working ok apart from no display ? does the caps lock work etc or has it shutdown or gone in standby ?
    if you connect the hdmi cable and switch to external display is it still working ?

if so sounds like either the display cable is loose ( or faulty) that goes from the system board to the display or it might be the inverter board\back light is faulty- can you see anything at all on the display - look under a bright light.
    Yes, joebloggs, if i connect it to the tv, everthing is working except the display.

And if the display cable is loose, is it possible for me to fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    might be worth running check disc scan, nothing to loose by trying
    I did scan disc as well, but still the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesey View Post
    Another simple check, but have you tried pressing the "Fn" key with "F5". this should switch between the laptop screen and an external display.

I'm typing this on an Acer laptop now. I bought it about 2 years ago, when it was cheap and quite high spec. However, after 18 months, small vertical lines appeared on the screen and they're getting worse! It's over a year, so it's out of warranty, but I expect a laptop to last more than 18 months. I won't be buying another Acer!

The HP I use at work feels solid and is built very well, even if it is a bit heavy.
    Hello Jamesey, we also did that Fn and F5 before. But the problems still persist.

And same as you, i won't buy any Acer laptop again, hahaha.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    My laptop is Acer and it's still working very good after 2 years (bought it in Manila)!
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Banned
    I wouldn't bother messing about with it. The machine is only 6 months old go back to the retailer or online seller say they are "not fit for purpose" under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and demand a full refund

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/c...v0043-1011.txt

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...aulty-product/

If they refuse take a small claims court action against them (can do it online)

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...claims-court-/

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    I wouldn't bother messing about with it. The machine is only 6 months old go back to the retailer or online seller say they are "not fit for purpose" under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and demand a full refund

Hello Dedworth,

Thanks for the advice. As i said in my post, it was 6 months that the problem started. We tried the recovery disks, it was alright after that, but after 1-2 days the problem occurred again. So maybe on the 7th month we sent it to acer. And it took weeks for the laptop to be repaired, even though It wasn't fixed. The third time was about 11 months and when returned was out of warranty. We sent them another email, but they didnt reply because its not under their warranty anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Josieyam65 View Post
    Hello Dedworth,

Thanks for the advice. As i said in my post, it was 6 months that the problem started. We tried the recovery disks, it was alright after that, but after 1-2 days the problem occurred again. So maybe on the 7th month we sent it to acer. And it took weeks for the laptop to be repaired, even though It wasn't fixed. The third time was about 11 months and when returned was out of warranty. We sent them another email, but they didnt reply because its not under their warranty anymore.
    of course the last time you sent it to them they knew your warrenty was almost up, they delay a little , send it back to you knowing , you have not enough warrenty left to send again,

Quote Originally Posted by Josieyam65 View Post
    Hello Dedworth,

yes but they haven't fixed the original fault
    it sounds like it could be backlight has gone (but you should still be able to see something but very feint) more likely the inverter board, possibly the video cable, but i don't think its a video controller fault as you say it works ok thru hdmi.

look at this, shine a torch on it, can you see your desktop ?

check you tube for your acer model..

http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Trusted Member

DO THE ABOVE.

It doesn't matter that it is out of manufacturer's warranty.

The sale of goods act is about what you can reasonably expect from a product.

There are no hard and fast rules.

Further, the manufacturer has already acknowledged that the product is faulty, so they are on weak ground.

I would have said that your dispute actually lies with the retailer anyway, as they are the ones who actually sold you the product.

Another case for the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Yes I'm with Graham and I would argue you have not had a full 12 months out of it due to sending it back,I would tell retailer that you will name and shame on facebook

It sounds like the monitor cable. This happened to me with my Dell and they just came out and replaced it

Constantly opening and closing the laptop eventually damages the cable. It will sometimes come on a bootup but as the system warms the cable expands a bit and breaks the circuit. The only fix is a new monitor usually. You could take it to a local computer store and have them fiddle with the cable to see if that works.

No idea why the Acer idiots would replace the HD or memory ... nothing to do with the screen issue
    Keith - Administrator

well if its as simple as the acer fix video on the reply of joe, then i dont think much of acer technicians , must be a set of numptys

I agree with Joe and Win2 too,Working on hdmi rules out settings,video card,hdd and mb, ect.. so what you are left with is :- the ribbon cable to the screen..I was also thinking the inverter board but if that was blown then it wouldnt work at all and same for the back light, Check the ribbon is seated correctly and isnt snagged especially at the hindge. New cables between £10-£20ish..
    Acers are hit and miss we had two of the same model one is stil going strong after 5 years and the other died within a couple of months.
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information