Thread: Iain Duncan Smith

Iain Duncan Smith

... not content with suggesting State Benefit claimants could live comfortably on the princely sum of £53 per week, this arsehole now wants [the] more wealthy folk of 60 yrs of age and upwards to relinquish their current entitlement to a Free Bus Pass.

Oh well ... ... here's ONE pensioner unlikely to be affected!

Trusted Member
    Likewise.

I'm loving my new bus pass.

Still feel guilty standing in line with the queue of old people though.

Enjoy it while it lasts guys. Who knows what they will do next.

He never mentioned the word 'comfortably'. That's your political bias coming through Arthur. I'm sure IDS can come out with enough of his own words without you putting them in there for him.

What he said was that if he had to he would.

It has since been proven that it is indeed possible.

In fact Grace and I can live reasonably well on £106 per week which is the £53 x 2. We have done this without even trying.

What he is suggesting is that for those more wealthy pensioners in receipt of the winter fuel allowance, free TV license and bus passes who want to give some of that back then there should be a mechanism in place to do that.

I don't see what is wrong with that.

Perhaps you can explain why.

There was a programme of TV recently which highlighted how difficult it is to pay it back if you don't want it.

I know of several pensioners who would return the money if they could.

The demographic group of pensioners has been least affected by the cuts so I would doubt that such benefits are protected following the next election.

I agree with the free public transport but IMO the fuel allowance should be means tested.

Trusted Member
    They could simply ASK all pensioners whether they want the freebies or not.

The bus pass has to be applied for. It is not just sent out once you reach qualifying age, so again, easy enough not to apply.

Then again, you could say ....why should 'wealthier' people be deprived of something that they've probably contributed more than most towards the cost of, throughout their tax-paying lives, versus lazy so and so's who've leached off the state (ie taxpayers) for most of theirs ?

Not all OAPs are national heros.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy n Grasya View Post
    He never mentioned the word 'comfortably'. That's your political bias coming through Arthur.
    ... that's ME told! ... actually, I'm politically neutral, Andy.

I'm sure IDS can come out with enough of his own words without you putting them in there for him.
    No doubt! After all, someone who's a "stranger to the truth" about his educational qualifications, is MORE than capable of concocting "fairy stories" about practically anything he chooses. OK ... so, even IF "comfortably" weren't the precise word that IDS used in the context I referred to, the fact remains - the implication was there.

If someone who is 75 and is a millionaire gets a free bus pass then they deserve having likely paid £100,000's in tax into the economy, whereas as a life long benefit claimant of the same age has paid squat from employment tax.
    Keith - Administrator

It has since been proven that it is indeed possible.

In fact Grace and I can live reasonably well on £106 per week which is the £53 x 2. We have done this without even trying.

does that include , electric, gas, council tax,motgage, rent, clothing,landline, internet,mobile,dentist, prescriptions etc etc.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I'm another one who won't be affected Arthur!

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    If someone who is 75 and is a millionaire gets a free bus pass then they deserve having likely paid £100,000's in tax into the economy, whereas as a life long benefit claimant of the same age has paid squat from employment tax.

Yes, you are correct, but that was back when the country believed they could afford to pay ALL pensioners with their ability to finance this kind of thing with cheap loans..
    Now that things are different its time to Rob Peter to pay Paul..
    The UK is in a financial mess that IMO will turn eventually into a Catastrophe..
    This type of measure is just the first signs of Government panic IMO.
    I'm surprised why more people cannot see right through it to be honest.

so even IF "comfortably" weren't the precise word that IDS used in the context I referred to, the fact remains - the implication was there
    I disagree. His words were "If I had to, I would." Where is the implication of comfortably in that sentence?

does that include , electric, gas, council tax,motgage, rent, clothing,landline, internet,mobile,dentist, prescriptions etc etc
    That includes electricity and gas - combined £80.00 per month, water - £17.37 per month, TV license - £12.12 per month, TV, landline and cable (includes all channels and recording box etc if I had to cut back I could probably halve this) - typically between £48.00 and £49.00 per month. This works out at £36.46 per week. Groceries bill is approx £10.00 per day, £70.00 per week. Total amount is £106.46.

I have a glass of wine or can of lager or cider on most nights so could cut this out if I had to.

I believe that dental charges, prescriptions etc, rent and council tax are paid as an addition so are not included. They aren't included on websites that show how other people manage on the £53.00 per week so I don't need to include that either.

The £10.00 per day on groceries includes food for our 2 year old as well but doesn't include nappies. Then again we get Child Benefit which more than covers that.

Trusted Member
    Yes, these claims that (single) people should try living on £53 a week etc are totally misleading.

The majority of those on that sort of benefit income will also be having their rent paid by housing bens (though it won't necessarily cover ALL of their rent now, as it used to do), plus their council tax paid.

So really what we're talking about is food and fuel costs, clothing, 'incidentals' etc, to come out of the quoted £53 per person. Free basic dental treatment and a few other 'perks' (prescriptions ?).

You're doing well to manage on that budget Andy. I congratulate you. (Not meant sarcastically, I assure you).

Of course others on benefit may struggle a little more, what with the Pit Bull Terrier to feed, and the £7 a day for smokes.

I disagree. His words were "If I had to, I would." Where is the implication of comfortably in that sentence?

That includes electricity and gas - combined £80.00 per month, water - £17.37 per month, TV license - £12.12 per month, TV, landline and cable (includes all channels and recording box etc if I had to cut back I could probably halve this) - typically between £48.00 and £49.00 per month. This works out at £36.46 per week. Groceries bill is approx £10.00 per day, £70.00 per week. Total amount is £106.46.

I have a glass of wine or can of lager or cider on most nights so could cut this out if I had to.

I believe that dental charges, prescriptions etc, rent and council tax are paid as an addition so are not included. They aren't included on websites that show how other people manage on the £53.00 per week so I don't need to include that either.

The £10.00 per day on groceries includes food for our 2 year old as well but doesn't include nappies. Then again we get Child Benefit which more than covers that.
    anyone on benefit only get a small amount toward the interest of the mortgage loan,(insurance for loan usually only pay the mortgage for the first year then your on your own) to be paid out of that £53 a week,
    much better off if in rented property as unlike the mortgage the rent is paid for you,
    council tax for someone in band A will pay £20 per month so thats another aprox £5 per week from the £53,
    before prescriptions were made free in scotland , it was still to be paid when on benefit, the cheapest way was to prepay for 3 mths or better still 12 months at about £40 a year i think it was,

i didnt see cleaning stuffs only groceries

i'm not doubting you, but perhaps on a short term it isnt a problem, but long term

i forgot buildings and contents insurance , not paid for by benefits

Thank you Graham, from an expert on frugality such as yourself that means a lot.

It irks me that tax payers money should go towards benefits covering mobile phones, pet food, entertainment, cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, car expenses etc.

We eat well on the limits we have set ourselves; everything is home cooked, none of that processed rubbish, and hardly anything is thrown out.

Being careful with money has enabled me to achieve my goal of paying off the mortgage before reaching 50.

i didnt see cleaning stuffs only groceries
    That's covered in the grocery bill as is personal hygiene stuff.

Breakfast and lunch comes to about £1 per person leaving £3 each per day for the evening meal. You can do a lot on £6.

Trusted Member
    Thank you Graham, from an expert on frugality such as yourself that means a lot.

It irks me that tax payers money should go towards benefits covering mobile phones, pet food, entertainment, cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, car expenses etc.

We eat well on the limits we have set ourselves; everything is home cooked, none of that processed rubbish, and hardly anything is thrown out.

Being careful with money has enabled me to achieve my goal of paying off the mortgage before reaching 50.
    Got me in one. hahaha

We'd better not go out for a drink together though, otherwise we might BOTH be hiding in the bogs when it comes to the next round.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Got me in one. hahaha

We'd better not go out for a drink together though, otherwise we might BOTH be hiding in the bogs when it comes to the next round.

That's covered in the grocery bill as is personal hygiene stuff.

Breakfast and lunch comes to about £1 per person leaving £3 each per day for the evening meal. You can do a lot on £6.
    you do very well but im thinking i would still be hungry

I disagree.
    ... that's fine; everybody's entitled to his/her own opinion!

His words were "If I had to, I would." Where is the implication of comfortably in that sentence?
    Yes, and ... he DID have to at one stage - he even had occasion to claim Unemployment Benefit - admittedly. But "get real," Andy! That was for [at most] a few short months back in 1981 ... an era when £53 a week was worth a helluva lot more than it is nowadays. Added to which, he would've undoubtedly received a [fairly] generous Army Pension following his 5 years' service as a commissioned officer in the Scots Guards.

Thereafter, he worked in the armaments trade ... first, I believe, with GEC~Marconi - and later with another firm dealing with the sale of guns - before being "fired" (read made redundant) himself. Despite being a by birth, it appears he barely "set the heather alight" in either position.

However, his fortunes changed again when, within a year, he'd married the daughter of a wealthy baronet - as a result of which he, his wife and their 4 kids eventually finished up living rent-free in a substantial cottage on his rich father-in-law's estate.

Yet one MORE example of a privileged character - whose contact with harsh reality has long~since faded - living in 'Cloud~ Land'!

All I can say is that since I quit smoking we've saved £100's
    I noticed today that most brands are around £7 or more a packet.

We can very easily live on £6 per day. Often the food we prepare will last 3 or 4 days.
    Tonight we're cooking up Mung Beans with beansprouts, spinach, watercress, tomatoes and Pork belly slices.
    Total cost for the ingredients is £6.50
    Should be enough for us both for 3 days. (well as long as I don't eat too much )
    It's one of my favourites.
    Tomorrow, we'll make a chicken curry. That'll last us a few day as well.
    Even a good old fashioned Beef Stew is really inexpensive.

If I was still smoking that alone would cost us more than spend to eat

On smoking...

Don't waste used tea bags...........dry em, smoke em

Apparently so I'm told, they make a good smoke, but.....ummm, well

Trusted Member
    Have just got back from teksthepisco.

6 brown bread cakes for 14p, a bag of apple slices for 10p, a big bag of mixed salad for 25p, and some roast chicken pieces for 50p....amongst other things.

I rarely spend more than 15-20 quid a week on food.

Well done on giving up smoking Terpe Still trying to cut down on my 5 or 6 a day.

Thread Information