Thread: ID For A Provisional Driving Licence & When to apply for a residence permit

Respected Member

ID For A Provisional Driving Licence & When to apply for a residence permit

My wife has recently arrived in the UK on a spouse visa.

I would like her to apply for a provisional driving licence.

I have read the ID requirements for the provisional licence application on this page: https://www.gov.uk/id-for-driving-licence
    ID can include:
    - a full valid current passport
    - a biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
    - a UK certificate of naturalisation

From these documents, my wife only has a full valid passport (Philippine). So, I assume we can use this for ID?

My wife does not have a biometric residence permit. Should we wait until we apply for FLR in 2 years+ time, or can we apply for a biometric residence permit now?

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    She is not qualified yet until after 18 months of residency here in the UK. I have recently applied myself and I am learning to drive in the other side of the road!
    She needs time to get used to the "other side" of the road. It took me a while to gain confidence crossing the street and I had to re-wire my brain to get used to seeing big buses and lorries seemingly driving towards me!
    She can start learning the Highway Code and I suggest you get the practice tests (free apps for your phone) and DVD at WHSmith for the Perception Hazard test. The new test is now done using touch screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Moving Forward View Post

I have read the ID requirements for the provisional licence application on this page: https://www.gov.uk/id-for-driving-licence
    ID can include:
    - a biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)

From these documents, my wife only has a full valid passport (Philippine). So, I assume we can use this for ID?

My wife does not have a biometric residence permit. Should we wait until we apply for FLR in 2 years+ time, or can we apply for a biometric residence permit now?
    yes I think a full valid current passport will be enough
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Quote Originally Posted by Magandanglola View Post
    She is not qualified yet until after 18 months of residency here in the UK.
    ...where does it say that an applicant needs to be a resident here after 18months to be eligible to apply for a provisional license??
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Quote Originally Posted by Moving Forward View Post

ID can include:

Very good idea

If you wife is not already the holder any kind of driving licence then she can apply for a Provisional Driving Licence as soon as she starts living in UK.
    As sars has said there is no requirement for 12 months residence at all, so please don't concern yourself with that.

She will need to use her Filipino passport as ID, but DVLC are pretty efficient, so she'll actually get it back with a few weeks.
    I suggest you pick up an application form from your Post Office asap and review ALL the requirements. Especially those concerned with ID and photographic validation/certification.

UKBA state that you cannot apply for a biometric residence permit unless you are applying to extend your stay in one of the qualifying categories. So that will not be possible.

Does your wife have a driving licence issued in the Philippines?

If yes, then here's a link containing another link to the Form INF38 - Driving in Great Britain (GB) as a visitor or a new resident
    This leaflet (INF38) explains the current rules affecting foreign driving licence holders who visit or come to live in Great Britain.
    Just scroll down the page to the INF38 link.
    This leaflet explains the current rules affecting foreign driving licence holders who visit or come to live in Great Britain.

Also here's another very informative source directly from DVLC

All interesting stuff and well worth spending a few minutes to read the relevant section (or summary table) for anyone in these circumstances

Good luck

If you wife is not already the holder any kind of driving licence then she can apply for a Provisional Driving Licence as soon as she starts living in UK.
    She will need to use her passport as ID, but DVLC are pretty efficient and she'll get it back with a few weeks.

Yes, you don't need to be here for 18 months to apply for provisional license. I applied for my provisionary license 2 months after I got here. I got the application form from local post office. I submitted it together my original passport, original marriage certificate , 50 pounds check and 1 passport style photograph. You can also apply online https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provi...riving-licence

I got my provisional license 3 weeks after and then got my passport and marriage certificates 2 weeks after I receive my license.

And now having my driving lesson. Good luck!!!!

...You can also apply online .....
    You cannot apply online if you have no UK passport.

Respected Member
    Thanks people.

My wife will be visiting france next month; we will apply for a provisional licence after this time.

In the meantime she can drive with her International Driving Licence which she arranged just before she came to the UK.

I am not sure what her driving is like, but I may include her as named driver on my car insurance. From the online quotes I have been given, it costs about an extra 100 pounds to include her so not too bad then (I thought the price may have been horrendous).

Thread Information