Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is it so difficult to get a job here?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ritaj0nes View Post
    Hi Fred, I actually signed to 2 agencies around the area. I know I'll get a good job soon. Thanks!
    Thats the spirit girl! we will have job thats suit us in no time
    tiger tigress

♥♥♥♥Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, While loving someone deeply gives you courage♥♥♥♥.

Hi Rita

Its not really easy but keep persevering In time you will get your dream job.
    When I stsrted finding a job after i got my flr here took me more than a month to get a job. It was actually funny coz i sent nice cv with all the companies i applied and get nice feedbacks aswell after the interview but still didnt get the job, when i applied for my current employer i never send a cv just phone them i can apply for the job and they asked me to come straight away for an interview and then got the job.

I am working in a shop owned by a couple and im with them since then. Its my first and still my job now. I just came back after my 9 months maternity leave and they are so good about my time i can work with since my husband has different off days in a week so i can work everytime my husband is off which is very flexible for me.

I just hope you will land a job soon.
    praying po.

Ann

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Local Authority and Housing Associations

• I think that people might have more luck with local authorities and housing associations. Very detailed job descriptions and jobs/person specifications are issued. Read it all thoroughly and then take the person spec and give real information and examples of your work e.g don't just say you have x qualification but also give an example of where you applied this qualification and talk about your achievements without being over boastful. If you can cover each point on the person spec you stand a good chance of interview.
    • Type it all with bulleted lists in Word and do proper spell checks. Give the Word document the title of that page or paragraph. Start a new document for another paragraph. Then on the application form write 'See attached Word document headed ABC'. Application forms get photocopied and if you supply a lot of the information such as education and experience on a Word document it turns out nice and pristine and can easily be read through which may not be the case if you squeeze it into an application form. I alawys put 'footers on mine saying 'Page 1 of 2 Experience and my initials' for example. That way it should all remain organised and attached to my application and not attributed to someone else. Get someone else to read your application and accept feedback.
    • Look at your educational qualifications and take the ones you did at 15/16 years and say this is the equilvalent of GCSE exams. The ones you did at 17/18 may equate to the A levels children take in the UK. They are not going to do the homework on this so break it down for them. Don't gloss over things. If you sudied French, history, maths English lit, chemistry, physics at 15/16 exams give this detail. If a course you took is the equivalent of a university entrance or A levels then say so. Just accept that you have had an excellent eduacation and put it across. They are not going to fish for it. Spell it out.
    • If there is something on the person spec about equla opportunites write a decent statement about not just race but hearing impaired, people in wheel chairs. Write from your heart about how you feel treating people with respect matters to you. Avoid giving some meaningless wrap up sentence. Write like you are speaking to them.
    • Show that you understand the importance of deadlines, of keeping people informed well in advance if you cannot meet them and show your understanding of the importance of team work. Again give examples from your working life. They want a flavour of you as an individual.
    • Last but not least know what you have written inside out and know that those interviewing you will only have glanced at it so regurgitate it verbally in your answers at interview. Don't think that they have read it and know it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Have you tried signing up to different employment agencies? My wife did and they were for ever pestering her about different jobs..At one point it became a little annoying.
    Yes, I agree with fred, Rita.
    The idea is to earn money, so signing on with agencies should get you some work.
    Whilst you are working doing something you are too qualified for, you will be earning money and networking with people.
    Your good qualities could be noticed and other openings could happen.
    Lots of us Brits are over qualified for the jobs we do but we have to pay the bills so it's "hey ho hey ho, it's off to work I go".
    With money coming in you can keep looking for something better.
    I was in Hemel Hempstead the other week and saw hundreds of agency workers going to work sorting letters for the Royal Mail.
    They were from all over the world.
    You will find something Rita but don't aim too high right away, work your way up - things will happen if you keep looking and stay positive.
    Best of luck.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Have you tried signing up to different employment agencies? My wife did and they were for ever pestering her about different jobs..At one point it became a little annoying.
    Yes, I agree with fred, Rita.
    The idea is to earn money, so signing on with agencies should get you some work.
    Whilst you are working doing something you are too qualified for, you will be earning money and networking with people.
    Your good qualities could be noticed and other openings could happen.
    Lots of us Brits are over qualified for the jobs we do but we have to pay the bills so it's "hey ho hey ho, it's off to work I go".
    With money coming in you can keep looking for something better.
    I was in Hemel Hempstead the other week and saw hundreds of agency workers going to work sorting letters fo the Royal Mail.
    They were from all over the world.
    You will find something Rita but don't aim too high right away, work your way up and stay positive - things will happen if you keep looking and stay positive.
    Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by hilda_danao View Post
    Hi Rita! I am in same situation as you and im nearly pissed off now. i've been interviewed one time, got good comments, etc. then i received 'sorry reply'. i found out the reason is my transportation. i don't drive and there's no bus stop near our house. i said my husband will send and fetch me from work coz he's a manager working in a field. they didn't accept it as valid means of transportation to go to work. anyway, i've sent so many letters and cv. all replies are unsuccessful. sometimes i get envious of my classmates who are in the US. we have same background in Phil and they are all working now as bank cashier. it made me think it's really hard for us filipino race to find a job here in UK. im now studying sage bookkeeping so hopefully this will give me chance to get a job that i want. So don't worry, there are many of us who are in same situation as you. i guess we just have to keep on trying and trying. Just don't lose hope!
    Thanks Hilda.. As long as I have my husband, family and friends including you guys (life will always be better) Thanks again!

Have to say that the Mrs and I were never out of work..If she didn`t like a job then she would just leave and walk almost straight into another..
    Perhaps things have changed in the 7 weeks we have been away?

Respected Member
    I have found the same thing in the philippines looking for work over there 20years experiance and well qualified engineer count for nothing,
    actually nothing wrong with the experiance or qualifications reason for rejection ....was because im not a philippino doesnt matter if i go and live there or even apply for citizenship because i not from the islands companies are just not interested

I thought having a good educational background and great working experience will place my feet in a greater position to get a job here. We as filipinos has this culture of helping our families back home and I have obligation to fulfill. I just felt bad that having great experience and degree isn't enough to get the job. I had interview yesterday from one of the hotel for receptionist position and after all the great compliments that I received from the interviewer I still ended the day with unfortunate message of not getting the job.

Hi, Rita...Don't give up...You're not alone...I received the same treatment as well. I used to complain the same. Asked the same questions. Even claimed I was a victim of racial discrimination...but it never stop me from fulfilling my goal to land a job...Reading informative threads from this forum and receiving advices from JoeBloggs, AndyPaul and the rest of good members here I took a course which I think will help me to gain qualifications, UK's demand, plus it helps me to stop from getting bored. Don't worry, we will soon find a job.We can start from a blue collar job and get some experience from this country. Then, we will see. In the mean time...go find yourself another thing to do to polish your CV. Regards.
    A winning horse doesn't know why it runs in a race.
    It runs because of the hits of pain.
    Life is a race. God is your rider.
    So if you're in pain,
    then think God wants you to win

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by singkit View Post
    I thought having a good educational background and great working experience will place my feet in a greater position to get a job here. We as filipinos has this culture of helping our families back home and I have obligation to fulfill. I just felt bad that having great experience and degree isn't enough to get the job. I had interview yesterday from one of the hotel for receptionist position and after all the great compliments that I received from the interviewer I still ended the day with unfortunate message of not getting the job.

Hi, Rita...Don't give up...You're not alone...I received the same treatment as well. I used to complain the same. Asked the same questions. Even claimed I was a victim of racial discrimination...but it never stop me from fulfilling my goal to land a job...Reading informative threads from this forum and receiving advices from JoeBloggs, AndyPaul and the rest of good members here I took a course which I think will help me to gain qualifications, UK's demand, plus it helps me to stop from getting bored. Don't worry, we will soon find a job.We can start from a blue collar job and get some experience from this country. Then, we will see. In the mean time...go find yourself another thing to do to polish your CV. Regards.
    LET'S JUST DON'T GIVE UP LOLS CHEER-UP, We can fight this feeling I didn't receive a call from factory yesterday where I applied, but still hoping that someday I could have one that I could enjoy. I had a call yesterday for my QC application in a factory which I don't expect anymore because I applied there for ages and glad to receive a call for final interview yesterday

I am still hoping that someday, I will enjoy with the job I got I really want to work with NUMBERS AND WITH PEOPLE

Goodluck for all of us CLUB MEMBERS

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by singkit View Post
    ...........another thing to do to polish your CV.
    Just remember to make your CV (resume for Americans) one page.
    Keep it clear, concise and don't be tempted to make it three pages or it will probably end up not being looked at.

Goodluck to all of us Job Hunters
    tiger tigress

♥♥♥♥Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, While loving someone deeply gives you courage♥♥♥♥.

Hi singkit!
    oh you won't believe it! i have just researched about sage softwares. latest sage line 50 is now called Sage 50 accounts 2008. just cost £616.88 don't bother buying it unless u have ur own business. if you wanna have a look, here's the link:
    http://www.sage.co.uk/productsandser...65&stid=131870

the software i got here at home is sage instant accounts which im using for my course. it all cost me over £500. im only after the diploma really. then study sage line 50 on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by hilda_danao View Post
    Hi singkit!
    oh you won't believe it! i have just researched about sage softwares. latest sage line 50 is now called Sage 50 accounts 2008. just cost £616.88 don't bother buying it unless u have ur own business. if you wanna have a look, here's the link:
    http://www.sage.co.uk/productsandser...65&stid=131870

the software i got here at home is sage instant accounts which im using for my course. it all cost me over £500. im only after the diploma really. then study sage line 50 on my own.
    Good job Hildz, better do something worthwhile while waiting for a job we want. We don't just waste another time, but we spend it wise...and it refreshes our skills as well. AGA sounds good, huh
    A winning horse doesn't know why it runs in a race.
    It runs because of the hits of pain.
    Life is a race. God is your rider.
    So if you're in pain,
    then think God wants you to win

Preparations to get a job in UK

To sum it up, I can see from your posts that getting a Bachelors Degree in Phils wont easily make u get a job in UK....so the following should also be taken into consideration:

1. One must know how to drive well;
    2. Better to sign up with various employment agencies;
    3. Must always have map to know the way around or should know her way around (just in case prospect office is far from residence);
    4. Must of course can speak and write good english (jeeze, I need to learn more on that )
    5. Must look smart and professional during interviews;
    6. Meet Patience and Perseverance and make sure they are always with you (oh, but I should say those virtues are innate to filipinos)

Anything else?? Can you add more????

Hi Guys!

I have not been on for a while but maybe my experience will give a bit of hope to filipinos...Like most of you I have a bachelor's degree in accounting back home, never took up CPA exam, 1 year audit experience, 3 years finance & admin assistant experience in the Phils., 2 years in Saudi as executive assistant plus 14 units of MBA which I didn't finish back home in Ateneo.

I came here with the heart to start as a crew at Mc Donald's. As soon as I got my FLR, I thought It won't hurt to try applying for jobs which I know quite well. Just a try, I thought. I applied for any jobs I see on newspaper, internet...etc. I managed to get a job as finance assistant in 1 month at a local government, worked hard, closed my ears and eyes to office politics i.e. gossips and monsters in the office. I tried to apply for promotion after 5 mos but was turned down due to lack of enough experience for the higher post. I was tasked to do a high level job but being paid as assistant until I realised they were just taking advantage of me. I tried applying again within the same organisation when a vacancy came up, but this time I was turned down for office politics again i.e. could be racial but I can't tell. They're usually very good at cover up. Anyway, I tried again for 3rd time by applying in another team as finance officer in the same organisation but this time I brought home the bacon! It was my moment! When the boss in my team knew about it, he offered the same level of job but I refused. In my mind, I said, too late, bitch!

I'm taking AAT and I will finish it next year and of course it's for free. I am looking forward to applying for my next promotion and do higher level studies.

I know discrimination exists either for real and sometimes simply in our mind...WE SHOULD NOT LET ANYBODY PUT US DOWN BECAUSE OF OUR RACE.

- Practise developing your English language, accent, and confidence which are vital in this day and age. They judge people by how they speak and look, so make sure you are very smart and confident or at least appear to be like it during interviews.

Don't give up, keep fighting, we have a degree. Show that you know what they ask and that you are the right person for the job.

Smile (which is our mark as Pinoys) and show you have a positive attitude which will take you farther in your career.

WE CAN ALL DO IT!

Rands

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rands View Post
    I have not been on for a while but maybe my experience will give a bit of hope to filipinos...Like most of you I have a bachelor's degree in accounting back home, never took up CPA exam, 1 year audit experience, 3 years finance & admin assistant experience in the Phils., 2 years in Saudi as executive assistant plus 14 units of MBA which I didn't finish back home in Ateneo.

I came here with the heart to start as a crew at Mc Donald's. As soon as I got my FLR, I thought It won't hurt to try applying for jobs which I know quite well. Just a try, I thought. I applied for any jobs I see on newspaper, internet...etc. I managed to get a job as finance assistant in 1 month at a local government, worked hard, closed my ears and eyes to office politics i.e. gossips and monsters in the office. I tried to apply for promotion after 5 mos but was turned down due to lack of enough experience for the higher post. I was tasked to do a high level job but being paid as assistant until I realised they were just taking advantage of me. I tried applying again within the same organisation when a vacancy came up, but this time I was turned down for office politics again i.e. could be racial but I can't tell. They're usually very good at cover up. Anyway, I tried again for 3rd time by applying in another team as finance officer in the same organisation but this time I brought home the bacon! It was my moment! When the boss in my team knew about it, he offered the same level of job but I refused. In my mind, I said, too late, bitch!

I'm taking AAT and I will finish it next year and of course it's for free. I am looking forward to applying for my next promotion and do higher level studies.

I know discrimination exists either for real and sometimes simply in our mind...WE SHOULD NOT LET ANYBODY PUT US DOWN BECAUSE OF OUR RACE.

- Practise developing your English language, accent, and confidence which are vital in this day and age. They judge people by how they speak and look, so make sure you are very smart and confident or at least appear to be like it during interviews.

Don't give up, keep fighting, we have a degree. Show that you know what they ask and that you are the right person for the job.

Smile (which is our mark as Pinoys) and show you have a positive attitude which will take you farther in your career.

WE CAN ALL DO IT!

Rands

We have same degree and same feeling. That's why I enrolled my courses.I tried to enrol ECDL computing but according to our local college, I need to finish first the Intro to Computing. I feel boring and silly because I'm always the first one who finished our works. My classmates are almost all elderly and first time in PC. My teacher said, she will talk to the higher-ups if I can be assessed early and jump for a higher level. Will wait for that

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Les_lady888 View Post
    To sum it up, I can see from your posts that getting a Bachelors Degree in Phils wont easily make u get a job in UK....so the following should also be taken into consideration:

1. One must know how to drive well;
    2. Better to sign up with various employment agencies;
    3. Must always have map to know the way around or should know her way around (just in case prospect office is far from residence);
    4. Must of course can speak and write good english (jeeze, I need to learn more on that )
    5. Must look smart and professional during interviews;
    6. Meet Patience and Perseverance and make sure they are always with you (oh, but I should say those virtues are innate to filipinos)

Anything else?? Can you add more????
    Don't mention your bachelors degree or any other degree you have gained from the Phil. So when you are applying for that lowly paid job the interviewer won't be put off!!!

discrimination is more wide spread in the phils than in the uk, age, height, etc

as for qualifications depends on the job your applying for, my misses was even told at interviews, "sorry, your over qualified, i've just realised what qualifications you've got", so we took off her cv she had a biology and medicine degree, adjust your CV for the job your applying for. as for discrimination about promotion, just becuase you didn't get it, you think of reasons why you didn't, and it's easy for the race excuse to pop up..

as for your degree, you can get it evaluated by http://www.naric.org.uk/index.asp?page=16

and you can compare your degree to an english one..

Banned
    My wife also came here with a 'bachelors degree' She knew from the outset she would not get the type of work she desired here in the ' good old UK'. She was just being realistic. Like she says, better to be on 700 pesos an hour here than be on 300 pesos A DAY in the Philippines doing what I'm trained to do.
    Discrimination is also big in the Philippines from what I've experienced. I wasn't even allowed to use our surname for our businesses because we were informed that it sounded too foreign!!

Banned
    Discrimination is rife in every country, my sisters and there families in both Perth and melbourne Australia get it every day and they have been there 20yrs, it's something we all have to go along with, we can never beat it

thanks for the link Joe..I am glad to read this thread at least I am aware now on ways to find jobs here but I wonder how does the cv here in the UK should look like?? is it the same how we do it in the Phils..?

Keith - Administrator

Thank u so much Boss, I am just getting ready as early as now..

My Job experience

When I moved here in UK, I have no idea what kind of job I will be able to find. There was no pressure for me to look for a job, my husband can provide a better living for both of us.
    Base in my experience, the first thing you need to learn if you are going to live in a foreign country is the LANGUAGE.
    You need to learn the language not only colloquially but also in a professional level.
    If you are confident of yourself, you don't need to dress very smart. Of course, you do not go in jeans if you have a job interview!
    I would dress accordingly, professional and simple. (avoid too much accessories, strong perfume, mini skirts and too much make up)
    I assure you that interviewer can spot a promising candidate by the way he/she looks in your eyes and by the way you deliver your answers to his/her questions.

Good advise about temping, it is happening to me. I am on temp at the moment but by next week I will be employed directly by the company. The company will pay the temp agency to release me (sounds like a ransom) and I will be employed directly by them. Temping can offer you a lot of opportunity.

To sum up:
    Language- High importance
    Self confidence- very important
    Professional attitude- important
    CV- important
    Appearance- important
    And never, never say negative things!
    If you need to say negative things, do it with nonchalance and a smile...

Goodluck to everyone whose job hunting.

'We dance in a circle and suppose, while the secret sits in the middle and knows'

R.F.

london well away from those people up norf
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanutz View Post
    My Job experience

When I moved here in UK, I have no idea what kind of job I will be able to find. There was no pressure for me to look for a job, my husband can provide a better living for both of us.
    Base in my experience, the first thing you need to learn if you are going to live in a foreign country is the LANGUAGE.
    You need to learn the language not only colloquially but also in a professional level.
    If you are confident of yourself, you don't need to dress very smart. Of course, you do not go in jeans if you have a job interview!
    I would dress accordingly, professional and simple. (avoid too much accessories, strong perfume, mini skirts and too much make up)
    I assure you that interviewer can spot a promising candidate by the way he/she looks in your eyes and by the way you deliver your answers to his/her questions.

Good advise about temping, it is happening to me. I am on temp at the moment but by next week I will be employed directly by the company. The company will pay the temp agency to release me (sounds like a ransom) and I will be employed directly by them. Temping can offer you a lot of opportunity.

To sum up:
    Language- High importance
    Self confidence- very important
    Professional attitude- important
    CV- important
    Appearance- important
    And never, never say negative things!
    If you need to say negative things, do it with nonchalance and a smile...

Goodluck to everyone whose job hunting.
    Great advice Peanutz from one who has done it herself.

Language and understanding the way business british is done is very important just as it is any where. But remeber to as well as brush up on all you basic skills and learn new ones. Always enhance and expand skills you already have. If you are a people person as many phills are my brit standards, look for a job where you can use these skills.

My wife has found a job where she is in sales,she would never have dreamed of it a few years ago but finds it easy naturally to relate to people and put them at ease and make them feel good about themselves (this is a quote from her appriasal recently)

She has also found her self good at organising a small team and department well run. Again in phill she was used to bossing people around as ATE and look after her bro and sister.
    Skills she didn't even know she had.

So Ladies (and gentleman) take a good look at your skills and ablities and you might surprise yourself and others

Well done to your wife too, Andy. Like what Rand says to her previous post 'we can all do it'. Open your horizon and widen your knowledge, never get tired to enriched your self and your skills.
    In the long run, the time and sacrifice invested will give you back a self satisfaction that no one can give you. You owe it to yourself

'We dance in a circle and suppose, while the secret sits in the middle and knows'

R.F.

Oh sadly to hear that but I think it is better if you keep trying who knows, somethings comes when you least expect it. Smilez from here...

Respected Member
    I have just read a few of the posts here. New arrivals must not expect to walk straight into a job they feel their Philippine qualification equips them for. The UK education system is different and the qualifications gained in the Philippines don't match. In my experience there is little real prejudice, but there are expectations about suitability. If it is a job in which you have to communicate with customers, directly or indirectly, then remember that your English won't yet be "anglicised" and may well still contain many americanisms, which don't go down too well here. What is valued is the Filipinas reputation for having a caring and hard work ethic. If you try to aim at jobs which you can actually get, and then obtain local qualifications you will find work and gradually work your way into better jobs.

Respected Member
    This is not discrimination at all, although many Filipinos seem to believe it is. The education system in the Philippines, where I am right now, is very different to the UK and the "degrees" given are simply not accepted at home. I could bang on about how the system here is another form of corruption and is selling false dreams to the poor but the result is that they won't count for anything in the UK as my wife found out the hard way. She had to go to college for 2 years in the UK so she could get the job she wanted. My advice is to use the personal approach and convince employers through the force of your personality rather than through the hope of your CV or paper qualifications. Network, visit people, ask questions, offer to help, do voluntary or charitable work. Demonstrate how great you are rather than expect them to be impressed by paper, because they won't be.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information