Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why is it so difficult to get a job here?

Why is it so difficult to get a job here?

I am right now looking for a job but I don't wanna go outside my territory. I'm not familiar yet outside Hemel Hempstead, Herts. I received some interview offer from central of london but I refused because of the long hours of travel. I have a degree in Psychology and had various working experience. I worked as receptionist, had teaching experience for almost 3 years then moved to Call centre industry. Sometimes I worked part time extra for TV series in Manila when I was still there and done political endorsement. I thought having a good educational background and great working experience will place my feet in a greater position to get a job here. We as filipinos has this culture of helping our families back home and I have obligation to fulfill. My husband is such a very loving and supportive partner. We never had any problems together even during the time when I was applying for a fiance visa back home. I got my visa in just 3 weeks as sopposed to 3 months that the Embassy told us. No interview at all. When we applied for my extension visa, we easily got it as well but right now we're trying to get me a job but most companies like school require NVQL 2 or 3. I just felt bad that having great experience and degree isn't enough to get the job. I had interview yesterday from one of the hotel for receptionist position and after all the great compliments that I received from the interviewer I still ended the day with unfortunate message of not getting the job. I was super down yesterday and earlier today and managed to recover later today.

Please let me know if UK companies are generally like this (i felt like it is still sound useless to get a job here no matter what degree you have or experience you had if you don't get any nice educ background here)? I know it's against the labor law to descriminate anyone. hope you answer my concern. Thanks!

Respected Member

Dont get yourself down. Unfortunately the `educated` people here will only employ similar `educated` people because thats all they know.
    However there are a lot of people and companies who realise that the UK education system is a complete waste of time and you are much better off employing people who are wanting to work - even if they have no qualifications.
    Look a bit deeper for opportunities - dress-up and walk straight into hotels or offices where you would like to work and show them what you are like - even offer to work for a few days for free even - if they like you then they employ you.
    This may sound daft but it does work - especially with the smaller companies
    Good luck.

london well away from those people up norf
    Quote Originally Posted by barnsley-mark View Post

Dont get yourself down. Unfortunately the `educated` people here will only employ similar `educated` people because thats all they know.
    However there are a lot of people and companies who realise that the UK education system is a complete waste of time and you are much better off employing people who are wanting to work - even if they have no qualifications.
    Look a bit deeper for opportunities - dress-up and walk straight into hotels or offices where you would like to work and show them what you are like - even offer to work for a few days for free even - if they like you then they employ you.
    Good luck.
    Word

Thanks Mark and Andy.. I really appreciate..

london well away from those people up norf
    Its possibly worth getting some work experience even with a charity to show that you are hard working and proactive.

I have heard that it is very hard to have the same job we have back home. If we are on managerial level, we will just be a clerk/receptionist when we are in U.K. Well, i guess Mark is right as long as we dress right, be confident and as long as we know what we're talking about then we can get the job we are aiming at. Good luck!!1

Yes. it is very dificult to find job here.Firstly our degree in Phil is not honoured here because the educational system is different, second your cv when they find out you have a degree your over qualified. Only the nurses and related course can land a job but they still need to retrained or take some other test. Or better to put college level and experiences in your cv.During the enterview you have to talk more or for short use the counter attact tactic instead of you are the interviewee ,you act as the interviewer
    vice versa.Try if it works and follow also the advice of Mark and Andy.
    Regards,

Ping

I have a degree in Psychology
    This is basically useless in this country, as it is classed as an 'easy option' in uni's, and they are two a penny these days, with so many folk having them, and as the Businness groups tell you, they are meaningless for a job!

Easiest thing to do is make a long list of where you would like to work, and send them all a letter, tell them what you can do, ad what kind of job you are looking for, include your CV included.

You don't get a job straight away just because you want one.
    Keith - Administrator

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    This is basically useless in this country, as it is classed as an 'easy option' in uni's, and they are two a penny these days, with so many folk having them, and as the Businness groups tell you, they are meaningless for a job!

Easiest thing to do is make a long list of where you would like to work, and send them all a letter, tell them what you can do, ad what kind of job you are looking for, include your CV included.

You don't get a job straight away just because you want one.
    I agree with you Boss Keith.

Banned
    You're not alone Rita, I also received lots of good comments from interviewer. It seems they need us to follow their UK high standard. I finished BSBA-Accounting and had experience as Payrol Acct, applied as Payroll Clerk here but I need to take Sage Line 50. Applied IT Support but they are asking for ECDL Cert., Applied higher position but I need to learn DRIVING .

I am now in a factory and applied to another company which offers more overtime. The interviewer said, I am more clever than him as I'm a Bachelor and can speak 3 foreign language. He said he likes filipinos because he heard that we are hardworking and dedicated to work. We'll see tomorrow if he is just kidding because he said he will contact me tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    You're not alone Rita, I also received lots of good comments from interviewer. It seems they need us to follow their UK high standard. I finished BSBA-Accounting and had experience as Payrol Acct, applied as Payroll Clerk here but I need to take Sage Line 50. Applied IT Support but they are asking for ECDL Cert., Applied higher position but I need to learn DRIVING .

I am now in a factory and applied to another company which offers more overtime. The interviewer said, I am more clever than him as I'm a Bachelor and can speak 3 foreign language. He said he likes filipinos because he heard that we are hardworking and dedicated to work. We'll see tomorrow if he is just kidding because he said he will contact me tomorrow.
    Congrats, Penny. You're doing great out there. Your CV must be very impressive Go gurl! i wish I could find a job too...
    A winning horse doesn't know why it runs in a race.
    It runs because of the hits of pain.
    Life is a race. God is your rider.
    So if you're in pain,
    then think God wants you to win

Banned
    I'm also looking for a job, and today I had my first contact with our glorious "JobCentrePlus". Wow, what a bunch of unmotivated people they got working there.

The one think I've learned in this job hunting is that experience counts for nothing unless you have some kind of qualification to back it up. I spent 10 years running a payroll and doing general admin work, but sadly, it counts for nothing.

Not surpised about local motivation Rob, they must be sick of all the applications for sheperds
    Keith - Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by barnsley-mark View Post

Good luck.
    barnsley-mark
    Respected Member Join Date: Jul 2007

Look a bit deeper for opportunities - dress-up and walk straight into hotels or offices where you would like to work and show them what you are like - even offer to work for a few days for free even - if they like you then they employ you.This may sound daft but it does work - especially with the smaller companies
    Good luck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Mark and everyone, thanks so much for listening to my sentiments. I just really felt bad that most companies in UK doesn't recognize Filipino's credentials nor educational background. I understand that UK has it's own set of laws which in my country can be different. However, I just hope that employers or interviewers should not give false hope or misleading compliments like "Oh you're really have great work experience, wonderful personality and sort of things" When I moved inside their office I was in complete faith that the compliments and reactions they showed was an acceptance that I am completely qualified for the job even though it was for receptionist position. I dressed up properly, prepared myself for the interview. I also read a lot about the company and study what the company is offering. I came back home that day hoping that I will get the job because I really felt I nailed it then later that day when I phoned the agency they told me the unfortunate message (so I was super down and thought that I was such a failure but my partner, family and friends were very supportive) I just felt that in Manila, with the credentials and work experience I had, I would easily get a job within a day but I just have to admit that UK is absolutely different from Manila. Maybe it wasn't my lucky day as well or the job wasn't just meant for me and there is something much better awaiting. So after a day and half of misery and pain. I am back and now okay. After reading some sentiments of my fellow filipinos here and understand that it wasn't just me who's encountering same struggle living here. I just have to realize that I'm still blessed having a very loving and caring partner, family and friends who will stay with me no matter what happens.

Rita

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by singkit View Post
    Congrats, Penny. You're doing great out there. Your CV must be very impressive Go gurl! i wish I could find a job too...
    Thanks Singkit ! Just had 3 yrs experience as Accountant, 7 yrs supervisory, QC abroad, 5 yrs handling my own business, HOUSEKEEPING ASSISTANT in UK holiday park and now in a factory. My boss offered me to apply as QC Mgr in our company but when he found out I couldn't drive, I didn't get it Anyway, I am not choosy as I am new in this country and still willing to learn and to be trained. WILLING TO FOLLOW UK STANDARD
    Been to our local college this afternoon and made inquiry about Sage Line 50 and they said they have tutorial for that course and I will take Level 2. Need to inform hubby first then will start next week.
    I wish I could finish that course like you

Quote Originally Posted by ritaj0nes View Post
    I dressed up properly, prepared myself for the interview. I also read a lot about the company and study what the company is offering. I came back home that day hoping that I will get the job because I really felt I nailed it then later that day when I phoned the agency they told me the unfortunate message
    I'm sure a lot of us find it difficult to give advice - in truth, everyone has problems finding work - its just a case of try, try and try again.

Seems like you're doing nothing wrong.. just keep going

You not alone Interviewed last Friday had 9 years experience with the same nature of company but... theres always been BUT i waited for her call the whole day today but no word from them....
    tiger tigress

♥♥♥♥Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, While loving someone deeply gives you courage♥♥♥♥.

Quote Originally Posted by baboyako View Post
    I'm sure a lot of us find it difficult to give advice - in truth, everyone has problems finding work - its just a case of try, try and try again.

Seems like you're doing nothing wrong.. just keep going
    I agree with you mister pig..lol ( peace)

Yeah Rita Jones, everyone has been through this, looking for a job is easy but the problem is we can't always have them. Just assume that you are not the only applicant and competition is a game here. Let say that you was doing well during the interview and you got lots of experienced and achievements from your previous. The interviewer think that you was good enough to be in the position but on the other hand they think that the other applicant was better than you.

Just keep trying, don't give up and you'll get there.

btw, I been there. Been rejected a few times but I didn't lose hope. Be determine and be positive.

Goodluck mate
    There is always death and taxes; however, death doesn't get worse every year.

Thanks Evryone. I really appreciate!!!

good luck rita!!

hi rita...hope ur fine.. just dont be picky with your first job yet..be patient.

Hi Rita.... Don't lose hope.... be patient....I have heard that as long as you're not picky with the kind of job that is available then you can get one, the only problem is.... can you handle it or are you happy doing that particular job which you think is way below your qualifications?

BTW Rita.... i already know what to expect when i go back. I have heard that story way before i've been there so i am not surprised. The reason why i visited that country is for me to know if i will like the standard of living there. My fiance have told me everything and we discussed these things.
    Anyway i wish you luck.... You will find the job you're looking for in due time...
    God Bless.....

Hi Rita! I am in same situation as you and im nearly pissed off now. i've been interviewed one time, got good comments, etc. then i received 'sorry reply'. i found out the reason is my transportation. i don't drive and there's no bus stop near our house. i said my husband will send and fetch me from work coz he's a manager working in a field. they didn't accept it as valid means of transportation to go to work. anyway, i've sent so many letters and cv. all replies are unsuccessful. sometimes i get envious of my classmates who are in the US. we have same background in Phil and they are all working now as bank cashier. it made me think it's really hard for us filipino race to find a job here in UK. im now studying sage bookkeeping so hopefully this will give me chance to get a job that i want. So don't worry, there are many of us who are in same situation as you. i guess we just have to keep on trying and trying. Just don't lose hope!

Have to say that the Mrs and I were never out of work..If she didn`t like a job then she would just leave and walk almost straight into another..
    Perhaps things have changed in the 7 weeks we have been away?

Quote Originally Posted by hilda_danao View Post
    Hi Rita! I am in same situation as you and im nearly pissed off now. i've been interviewed one time, got good comments, etc. then i received 'sorry reply'. i found out the reason is my transportation. i don't drive and there's no bus stop near our house. i said my husband will send and fetch me from work coz he's a manager working in a field. they didn't accept it as valid means of transportation to go to work. anyway, i've sent so many letters and cv. all replies are unsuccessful. sometimes i get envious of my classmates who are in the US. we have same background in Phil and they are all working now as bank cashier. it made me think it's really hard for us filipino race to find a job here in UK. im now studying sage bookkeeping so hopefully this will give me chance to get a job that i want. So don't worry, there are many of us who are in same situation as you. i guess we just have to keep on trying and trying. Just don't lose hope!

Have you tried signing up to different employment agencies? My wife did and they were for ever pestering her about different jobs..At one point it became a little annoying.

Respected Member
    I have found the same thing in the philippines looking for work over there 20years experiance and well qualified engineer count for nothing,
    actually nothing wrong with the experiance or qualifications reason for rejection ....was because im not a philippino doesnt matter if i go and live there or even apply for citizenship because i not from the islands companies are just not interested

Hi Fred, I actually signed to 2 agencies around the area. I know I'll get a good job soon. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hilda_danao View Post
    Thanks Hilda.. As long as I have my husband, family and friends including you guys (life will always be better) Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by cryingbaby View Post
    hi rita...hope ur fine.. just dont be picky with your first job yet..be patient.
    I am not picky.. I am willing to work and do anything just to get a decent job. I understand that life can be diffrent to what we are generally accustomed of. Anyways, thanks to all of you and I'm looking forward to get more advises from you guys! tc

Quote Originally Posted by ritaj0nes View Post
    Hi Fred, I actually signed to 2 agencies around the area. I know I'll get a good job soon. Thanks!
    Thats the spirit girl! we will have job thats suit us in no time
    tiger tigress

♥♥♥♥Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, While loving someone deeply gives you courage♥♥♥♥.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information