Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Love - what is it? How do you describe it?

Respected Member

Love - what is it? How do you describe it?

Hi all,
    This may appear like an odd thread but i have been wondering what love is and how best to describe it?
    You have love for family members and even animals, but love for your chosen partner is different - this love has no boundaries, no colour, no religion, no anything - yet it is powerful enough to stop a person and leave them for dead.
    Why are we afected like this? - do we ask for this to happen? - do we need to be dependant on someone else? What are the signs to say you are in love? how do you know this is love or just lust or a desire?
    And finally - i challenge anyone to describe how they feel when they are in love

"if you were all alone in the universewith no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? it is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. this is harmony, we must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, and the joy of growth"

"if you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? it is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. this is harmony, we must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, and the joy of growth"

Interesting question Mark, very true about it being different for a partner. I imagine that there may be some biological need to find someone to pair with, but so many different feelings are mixed up in there somewhere. I think its true to say, you don't miss something until its gone. I know I can deal with not seeing my friends and family for quite a while, but not my gf.

Quote Originally Posted by barnsley-mark View Post
    Hi all,
    This may appear like an odd thread but i have been wondering what love is and how best to describe it?
    You have love for family members and even animals, but love for your chosen partner is different - this love has no boundaries, no colour, no religion, no anything - yet it is powerful enough to stop a person and leave them for dead.
    Why are we afected like this? - do we ask for this to happen? - do we need to be dependant on someone else? What are the signs to say you are in love? how do you know this is love or just lust or a desire?
    And finally - i challenge anyone to describe how they feel when they are in love

err Mr. Barnsley-Mark, that's a lot of qu... love is love is love... We just knew it is love when it hits us.

Banned
    Hi Mark, this is defintion of love.

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
    Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love.
    But the greatest of these is love.

Hi all,
    Mark, r u n love now? I think i kno the lucky girl.

Anyway, you're asking 'bout what love is? I think if you have it (love), you don't need to have anything else. If you don't have it, it doesn't matter much what else you have...

But the best to describe love, is ds: Love is like a bubble gum, kung mopilit makabuang(ask maria to translate this)

love always has its errors, sometimes we try to refresh then realize it's best to shut down...but the hardest part is to 'restart' your life and 'reformat' your heart.

For me love is quite simple, it's wanting someone else's happiness more then your own, you want that person to be happy no matter what it takes to make them happy, so the key is giving and for me it's giving without limits, the only question to ask is "will it make you happy" if the answer is "yes" then it's done, love, no if's , no but's , no maybe's, for as long as you live
    I'd rather regret something I tried which didn't work then regret not trying something at all
    LEEDS

Respected Member

Being in love is when you can't live without your partner. Life is empty, not complete, unfulfilled without him/her by your side and when you sleep in the evening he/she is the last one in your mind and the one you think of when you open your eyes in the morning and you will have a beautiful smile in your heart the rest of the day .

Banned
    "Love is everything it's cracked up to be. That's why people are so cynical about it...It really is worth fighting for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don't risk everything, you risk even more."

Quote Originally Posted by Maria_2300 View Post
    when you sleep in the evening he/she is the last one in your mind and the one you think of when you open your eyes in the morning and you will have a beautiful smile in your heart the rest of the day .
    tya, i think i know who you're talking about

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yhilres View Post
    tya, i think i know who you're talking about
    ... i surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Maria_2300 View Post
    ... i surrender
    yehey!!! celebration!!!

Devon - no - Oxford - no - Stalybridge - no - errr - UK

Smile

"To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering one must not love. But then one suffers from not loving. Therefore to love is to suffer, not to love is to suffer. To suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love. To be happy then is to suffer. But suffering makes one unhappy. Therefore, to be unhappy one must love, or love to suffer, or suffer from too much happiness. I hope you're getting this down."
    - Woody Allen

Al.

This is easy.

When a bookmaker gives you lots of .....that's love
    Keith - Administrator

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    This is easy.

When a bookmaker gives you lots of .....that's love
    I must love my bookie then.

Al.

"How do you know if it is really love?"

Well, as you can imagine, this also happens to be one of the most difficult questions to answer! Love is such a strange, wonderful thing that nobody really has codified what it is yet. And to further complicate matters, there are so many different kinds of love: the love you feel for a friend, a family member, a sport or even a pet. This is such a crazy emotion that there is absolutely no way that I can definitively answer how you know it is love… but I am going to give it a try

Now, in order to find out if you love someone, the basic place to start would be to ask yourself, do you want to be with them? If the answer to that question is no, then it really can't be love. When you love someone, you want to be with them. Not just be with them, but share everything with them. You have a great day at work and want to rush home and tell them every wonderful thing that has happened. You feel excited at the prospect of just being in their company, just being close to them isn't enough, you want to be a part of them, a part of their life forever. You can't stand the thought of being away from them yet, when you are, you still feel that ever-present bond that ties you together wherever you go. You can almost feel what they are feeling. You feel like, with a little bit of effort, you can see what they are seeing and think what they are thinking. It is almost as if you both can occupy each other's bodies with complete trust and harmony. That to me is love.

Now, on the other side of the spectrum, there are a host of emotions that people confuse with love. One of the most common is lust. There is a difference between wanting to sleep with someone and wanting to spend the rest of your life with someone.

Being overly dependent on the other person is also not a part of love. Some people fall into the trap of thinking they love someone just because they are afraid to be alone. They have become dependent on the other person for so much that they don't know how to make it on their own, or they would much rather be with someone than no-one.

This leads to the old cliché, in order to love someone else, you must first learn to love yourself. Well, we've all heard that before, but what does it really mean? It means that you have to be confident in your own ability and your own judgement. You really have to like yourself and know what you have to offer another person. There is no way that you can love another person if you are so stuck in your own hang-ups that you bow down and propitiate to the other person. That is, you do anything they ask and agree with everything they say out of fear that they will love you less because you don't do those things.

Basically, the question of whether or not you are in love with someone is pretty cut and dry: you either are or you aren't… and deep down, you know the answer. You just have to trust yourself to recognize it.

Smile

OK - a serious response from me.

I cannot stop thinking about Hanna. We speak EVERY day on YM. Despite all my problems at the moment I can smile when I think of her.

I am TRULY in love.

Al.

Smile

When you feel complete when your together, thats in love. Despite of problems.
    you still laugh together, smile at each other hold hands when your walking, talk and share anything. enjoy each others company. never sleep without saying the words "I Love you". Love is such a nice feeling.
    Love binds 2 people in a long distance relationship.

Banned
    Yes, I feel as I have to say something too on the subject...

I agree with most of the people that posted here and if I may also add...
    That love is not just a matter of friction... but reciprocal feelings and respect for each other..

And "" Love means never have to say sorry""... doesn't sound true at all...

Now I am going....

Love is merely madness...
    --William Shakespeare

I totally agree with Shakespeare statement.
    I can't explain it to anyone because its too vague to describe it once it hits you hard. Love is not usually how we feel, its how we do.
    There is always death and taxes; however, death doesn't get worse every year.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yhilres View Post
    Mark, r u n love now? I think i kno the lucky girl.

Anyway, you're asking 'bout what love is? I think if you have it (love), you don't need to have anything else. If you don't have it, it doesn't matter much what else you have...

But the best to describe love, is ds: Love is like a bubble gum, kung mopilit makabuang(ask maria to translate this)
    - Right, just to set matters straight - no i am not in love and neither am i close to it. I was only asking because i this forum is full of caring people who are all somewhat more tyhan your avaerage `person on the street` - we are all here because we have or want something more than just sex and we are prepared to wait and fight to get it.

Why?? - why do we put ourselves through the heartache and pain and waiting and problems and visa and phone calls and...and......and...
    when we could be with the woman or man down the road when we want.

This is why i was asking what love is and why we want it so much?

Quote Originally Posted by ervenescence View Post
    Love is merely madness...
    --William Shakespeare

I totally agree with Shakespeare statement.
    I can't explain it to anyone because its too vague to describe it once it hits you hard. Love is not usually how we feel, its how we do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFYOj-zQM-0

straight from the genitals

Have you been down my road !!!

Quote Originally Posted by baboyako View Post

BaboyAko, you always make me laugh I still do not forget that link you put in your favorite song...
    A winning horse doesn't know why it runs in a race.
    It runs because of the hits of pain.
    Life is a race. God is your rider.
    So if you're in pain,
    then think God wants you to win

when you feel like you were hit by a sucker punch...that's love.:bluegrab: It happens unexpectedly...
    A winning horse doesn't know why it runs in a race.
    It runs because of the hits of pain.
    Life is a race. God is your rider.
    So if you're in pain,
    then think God wants you to win

Quote Originally Posted by baboyako View Post

roflmao...

love is a chemical
    straight from your genitals
    never is spiritual
    never unconditional
    love is a chemical
    nature is radical
    never is spiritual
    its mathematical

LOL ..love the tune.
    There is always death and taxes; however, death doesn't get worse every year.

Respected Member
    "Love me without fear
    Trust me without questioning
    Need me without demanding
    Want me without restrictions
    Accept me without change
    Desire me without inhibitions."

- Dick Sutphen

Respected Member

from "The Franklin's Tale" (Chaucer)

For there is one thing I can safely say: that those bound by love must obey each other if they are to keep company long. Love will not be constrained by mastery; when mastery comes, the God of love at once beats his wings, and farewell -- he is gone. Love is a thing as free as any spirit; women naturally desire liberty, and not to be constrained like slaves; and so do men, if I shall tell the truth.

See who is the most patient in love; he has the greatest advantage. Patience is surely a great virtue, for it vanquished, as these scholars say, things that rigor would never manage. One cannot scold or complain at every word. Learn to endure patiently, or else, as I live and breathe, you shall learn it whether you want or not. For certainly there is no one in the world who doesn't do or say something amiss. Anger, sickness, or planetary influences, wine, sorrow, or changing of disposition often causes one to do or speak amiss. One cannot be avenged for every wrong; according to the occasion, everyone who knows how, must use temperance. And therefore a wise man, in order to live in comfort, promises his lady forbearance, and she wisely gives her promise to him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information