Thread: Lack of Male Role Models

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar

Lack of Male Role Models

One million children are growing up without a male role model: Report blames single-parent families and lack of men in classrooms

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lassrooms.html

---

Errr..
    I think it's more of a lack of responsible person/adult to guide the kids is the more appropriate reason, whether it's the male or female parent or close relatives. It doesn't matter whether there are few male teachers either.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Trusted Member
    I would respectfully disagree.

Men DO actually have a reason for being on this planet, despite what the womens' libbers would like to have us believe.

I come from a family where there was a strong and influential father figure...married to our mother until his death.
    Neither my three siblings nor myself have ever been in any kind of 'trouble' in our lives, and have all become useful educated taxpayers.

As one of the 10% single male parents, I'd also like to think that my own son has turned out well.

I believe that the statistics do support the case.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    You are a responsible parent Graham. But that's just not because you are male and your kid needed a male role model. It's because you are committed to be a good parent.

My cousin lost his dad (died of stroke) when he's just 5 or 6 y.o. My aunt (his mum) brought him up alone until she had to go to Kuwait and work so she can support him. My cousin was left to my grandparents, my gay uncle, and even my mum helping them at times. My aunt still is the responsible one when it comes to my cousin's needs and deciding everything for him, and she hasn't remarried and is still working in Kuwait for 10 years or so. He's 19 y.o. now in college taking up engineering. He has never been in trouble. He has great respect to the elderly, especially to his mum who he knows is working so hard. I wouldn't say lack of male role model would not let him be what he is now. As long as a responsible adult, whether male or female or gay/lesbian, is raising up a kid, he/she would have higher possibility of doing good.

I also have another 2 cousins, both brothers and sisters, left by my uncle to their mum while they're in their toddler years (they're separated). My uncle just supports them financially (he's in Kuwait working there too). Both of them haven't caused us troubles other than being naughty kids and very "makulit" while growing up. The girl is now at college and graduated in her high school with honors. The boy is currently in his high school years doing fine in school.

My brother in law, his dad died when he was young and he and his younger brother and sister was raised all alone by their mum. Never caused any problems and my brother in law is a great dad to my nephews and a great husband to my sister.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Trusted Member
    I think you'd agree though Rayna, that family values are still very different to those here in the UK, and just as important is the fact that there is virtually no government welfare system in place in the Phils.

Here in the UK it is far too easy for parents to opt out of joint responsibility, and also far too easy for fathers to be separated from their children and their responsibility for them....whether they like it or not.

The death of a father is quite a different (and obviously unplanned) matter.

Being a single mother in this country is really no great hardship financially and practically, when compared to a lot of other countries, but that I believe leads to negative consequences for the children due to the unbalance in their experience of 'dual' parenting. This is now being passed down from one generation to the next.

I believe the statistics do demonstrate this, and that is what the report is all about.

Thread Information