Thread: Briton robbed of P2.2M cash

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Briton robbed of P2.2M cash

DUMAGUETE CITY, Philippines — A Briton and his Filipina wife were robbed at gunpoint yesterday of P2.2 million in cash by at least six men, riding-in-tandem on three motorcycles, along San Juan Street in this city.

The victims were identified as 64-year-old Bryan Foster and wife Rosario Nee Beronilla, both residents of Burgos Street in Barangay Lutao of Bacong town in Negros Oriental.

Investigation showed the couple had just received the second half of the payment for the lot in Valencia town they sold to another foreign national, identified only as a certain Germann.

The total cost of the lot was P4.4 million, the first half of the payment of which was paid last week.

German had just withdrawn the P2.2-million cash from a bank in the city and gave it to the Foster couple as full payment of the lot he bought from them.

While Foster was driving his multicab, the men on motorcycles waylaid the couple in front of a business establishment at San Juan Street.

The backriders, armed with hand guns, approached Rosario, who was sitting at the front passenger side of the multicab, and at gunpoint grabbed her shoulder bag where the money was placed.

The wife resisted forcing one of the robbers to hit her on the forehead with a gun, while the other robber pointed a gun at Foster then grabbed his attaché case containing some documents, passports, alien certificate of registration.

The other companions of the robbers served as look out and in less than five minutes, the robbery was consummated. The robbers quickly scampered in different directions on their motorcycles, also carting away from the victims two cellphones, a camera and driver's license, among others.

Foster went directly to a hospital to have his wife treated of the injury inflicted on her forehead.

A massive manhunt operation was conducted, as of press time yesterday, as exit points from the city were sealed off by the police. (FREEMAN)

http://www.philstar.com/region/2013/...bed-p2.2m-cash

Not sure why they didn't use a bank cheque

Thankfully nobody was seriously hurt.

As some have you may have noticed on a previous post i did carry a large amount of cash one time. Not something i would recommend even though i have done it!

Always remember to be very careful if you are dealing with large amounts of cash in the Philippines.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Whilst living in Dumaguete myself, have never given it a thought that things like this happened, We have often carried large amounts of cash and Maritess always used to tell me to be careful but just shrugged it off thinking things like that don't happen in real life. Certainly food for thought!

Well by all accounts this was not opportunistic

First question is how did the robbers know about the land deal and the cash transfer on that particular day?
    Inside job? Certainly a possibility.

Trusted Member
    Inside job. 100%.

NEVER EVER EVER carry such ridiculous sums of money in cash in the Phils....or even in the UK !

I can also guarantee that they will never see that money again, and also very unlikely that the robbers will be caught.

My first thoughts was that the German hired a bunch of unsavouries to get back his cash. Sounds very fishy.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieXXXmaria View Post
    My first thoughts was that the German hired a bunch of unsavouries to get back his cash. Sounds very fishy.
    That would be my starting point also.

Undocumented cash deal

never trust a geerman lol

You can start with the German then on to the wife, maybe someone at the bank or maybe somebody overhead a conversation.
    Only a muppet carries that sort of cash around
    A Fool and his money .............

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    You can start with the German then on to the wife, maybe someone at the bank or maybe somebody overhead a conversation.
    Only a muppet carries that sort of cash around
    A Fool and his money .............
    Exactly - the bloke's a half wit.

Thanks for the post Jake, as stark reminder that we can so easily become a victim.

I am hoping to buy a new car (suv) when I go to Phils next, so I will after reading this not carry a large sum of money to the dealer, I will invite him to our bank where we can withdraw cash or Bank Cheque, he can then take the money himself or directly deposit it into his account again.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Thanks for the post Jake, as stark reminder that we can so easily become a victim.

I am hoping to buy a new car (suv) when I go to Phils next, so I will after reading this not carry a large sum of money to the dealer, I will invite him to our bank where we can withdraw cash or Bank Cheque, he can then take the money himself or directly deposit it into his account again.
    You can use a bankers cheque as my wife bought herself a new car last year.

What SUV are you planning to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    You can use a bankers cheque as my wife bought herself a new car last year.

What SUV are you planning to buy?
    Yes, that is the safest way.

I am looking to get either a 2009 - 2011 Mitsubishi Montero or a Toyota Fortuner. I want to be able to go along the more remote roads around where we live without worrying about getting stuck or bottoming out. Plus both have 6 seats if needed and with my growing family, I am going to need it

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Yes, that is the safest way.

I am looking to get either a 2009 - 2011 Mitsubishi Montero or a Toyota Fortuner. I want to be able to go along the more remote roads around where we live without worrying about getting stuck or bottoming out. Plus both have 6 seats if needed and with my growing family, I am going to need it
    Given the choice i would go for the Fortuner

I have a Isuzu D Max pick up and its great on rougher terrain or when its flooded.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Given the choice i would go for the Fortuner

I have a Isuzu D Max pick up and its great on rougher terrain or when its flooded.
    Why the Fortuna over the Monero? Form what I have researched the rear 2 seats take up a lot of room on the sides, whereas the Montero's fold flat giving a bigger boot area.

Thread Information