Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spouse Visa

Respected Member cherrieclifford's Avatar

Unhappy Spouse Visa

Hi I'm Cherrie and I'm just new here. I'm a filipina and I have a British husband. He is receiving Disability Living Allowance and working part time as a cleaner. If he got a place from the council, will I have the chance to get approval if I apply for spouse visa? Thanks a lot in advance. we needed your help.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum Cherrie, I'm sure someone will answer your question very soon!

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Hi Cherrie and welcome.

Regarding your question first of all your husband would be exempt from meeting the financial requirements as he is in receipt of a qualifying benefit under the immigration rules.

What he would have to show is that he is able to maintain and accommodate you and that after all housing costs are paid there would be a minimum of £112.55 per week for you both to live on.

With regards to getting a house from the council yes he can do that so that shows you will have somewhere to live if your visa application is successful.

I hope this reassures you and I am sure others on here will confirm this.

Good Luck...

Thanks Michael.. yes I know they will answer me soon enough and there is already one who wrote. Thanks. God bless you

Thank you soo much Mark.

Thanks for making it clear, I read about that adequate maintenance. And about the house, he just received a call from the council and he was offered a house to be viewed on monday. My husband is just earning over £200 per 2weeks and receiving £168 as his DLA. You think we can make it? And another thing I wanna ask is do u know how much it will cost for the processing?

Thanks so much. It lightens me up. God bless you

Hiya Cherrie the current cost for a settlement visa is £851.

Regarding the income of your husband it equates to approximately £568 every 4 weeks so £142 per week so this surpasses the minimum required.

I know they will be a small amount of housing costs to come out of this like a small contribution towards rent and council tax but this would be only miniscule as his earnings are low so it looks good to me.

Like I said Cherrie as long as he can show that amount of maintenance of £112.55 after these costs have been paid then there shouldnt be a problem.

Once again good luck to you both.

Well that's looking great for us.. we just need the money for processing and requirements as well.. thanks Mark.

We don't know where to start really. How should we start with the spouse visa application? Thank you again.

Is that your wife and baby in the picture?

Hiya Cherrie if you start in the forum homepage itself you will see a list of categories look down to the category which is UK VISA/British Citizenship and go into that then look at the list of threads I believe its the 4th one down which says All New Guide How to apply for a spouse/partner visa then click on that, that will give you full details and requirements on the procedure.

Please if you have further questions feel free to post them here as we have a lot of very knowledgeable people who will be always glad to help and also a lot of success stories on our forum.

Yes that is my wife and our little boy.

Thankyou...

Thanks a lot Mark for spending time to write on here to help other people just like me. Thank you and God bless you and your family.

Hi Cherrie, welcome to Filipino UK

Sorry for my belated welcome, I've been on a short holiday.

Yes, as Mark has mentioned be sure to read this thread and follow all the included links to the UKBA site.

All New Guide - How to apply for a Spouse/Partner Visa

Read this and again follow the links - Applying for a UK visa in the Philippines

The UKBA also advises all applicants to read their application Guidance Notes together with their Supporting Documents Guidance

You can search here in the forum for any areas/topic of concern or you can ask as many questions as you need right here in your thread.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and please be sure your husband also fully understand what is needed. This has to be a real team effort for you both.
    There's a lot of things to understand.

Take this journey step-by-step, don't be shy to ask as many questions as you want.
    There's plenty of folks here who have been down the same road and made that journey. Everyone here is friendly and willing to share experiences, and to make sure to get that special visa.

Some early steps for you both to consider is for you meet the English language requirement

Also now there is a new requirement for TB Screening before you can make your application.
    Here's the needed detail - Tuberculosis testing in the Philippines

Good luck

Thanks Terpe.. this is really frustrating.. it's all about money, its so unfair.. what if my husband will take a bank loan? Will it affect my spouse visa application?

Thanks a lot..

Quote Originally Posted by cherrieclifford View Post
    Thanks Terpe.. this is really frustrating.. it's all about money, it's so unfair.. what if my husband will take a bank loan? Will it affect my spouse visa application?

Thanks a lot..
    Yes, the Financial Requirement is a key element of the application requirements.

I'm not sure why or how you see a bank loan will affect your visa application. Can you explain the idea behind that and how you believe it will help?

Well if he will has a bank loan we can show them that we can maintain the desired amount.. he's only earning over £200 per 2 weeks.. DLA of £164 per month which I dont know if they will count as his income.. hes paying bills monthly, tv, water, gas, internet. so I'm really down while computing.. they might deny my visa because of little income and bills.. bank loan might help us to start the process.. he's only got £1500 in his bank. we have to pay the UKBA and those requirements needed like my English exam plus my tickets - that's if they will grant my visa. I can borrow money though for my visa processing.. but still short I think.

What can you say about our situation? Thanks

Will the bank loan be stated in the bank statement?

Will the bank loan be stated in the bank statement?
    Yes!

Well if he will have a bank loan we can show them that we can maintain the desired amount.. hes only earning over £200 per 2 weeks.. DLA of £164 per month which I don't know if they will count as his income.. he's paying bills monthly, tv, water, gas, internet. so I'm really down while computing.. they might deny my visa because of little income and bills.. bank loan might help us to start the process.. he's only got £1500 in his bank. We have to pay the UKBA and those requirements needed like my English exam plus my tickets - that's if they will grant my visa. I can borrow money though for my visa processing.. but still short I think.

What can you say about our situation? Thanks
    I can sense just how frustrated you are and just how hard you're trying to find a way.
    That's why it's painful for me to inform you that a bank loan is not a solution.
    So sorry.

In order to secure a settlement visa under the current exemption from Financial Requirement rules your sponsor MUST clearly show £112.55 per week after all housing costs are deducted. In principle total housing costs are mortgage/rent & council tax.

I know it's hard but they're the facts.

will the bank loan be stated in the bank statement?
    The bank loan would show up in his statement and even though the UKBA should only look at rent and council tax I believe they could use this against you as not meeting the maintenance level, its a bit touch and go and I believe a bit of a grey area as your application could come under more scrutiny and could go either way.

I know there has been suggestions on here by borrowing the money on a credit card, I know rates are higher but this does not have to show on your bank statement ie: repayments could be paid over the counter monthly.

I know of a few who have done this so it is do-able.

Referring to your question regarding DLA yes I can assure you that this is counted as part of his income and can be used in the calculation alongside his other benefits and as like myself and Terpe have already said he needs to show £112.55 after rent and council tax has been paid, if he can do that then you should be fine.

Wishing you the best of luck...

Thanks to both of you,, sounds good then. coz he's paying roughly about £100 for his house bills. We just need to find money for the visa application. Can he do the application in his country or is it me who should do it here? If I'll be the one to do it, shall I need to gather all the needed documents first before I proceed to the online application? And another thing, is it necessary to deposit our marriage certificate to a solicitor in UK or UK Embassy here in Phils? Thanks

God bless u guys,.

Is it wise to do it ourselves or shall we pay for a visa processing agency to assist us?

.....can he do the application in his country or is it me who should do it here? ...
    You are the one who will make the application from Philippines. Yes it must be made online.

.....If I'll be the one to do it, shall I need to gather all the needed documents first before I proceed to the online application?..
    Yes, before making any online application you must fully prepare all needed supporting evidential documents.
    Part of those documents include a Pass Certificate at A1 level in an English Language Test, and your TB screening certificate.
    Please do take time to read all those links provided in my post #10

..... is it necessary to deposit our marriage certificate to a solicitor in UK or UK Embassy here in Phils? ...
    No. But you'll need the marriage certificate to be submitted with your application as part of the supporting documents.

is it wise to do it ourselves or shall we pay for a visa processing agency to assist us?

The answer, as always, is that it's a personal choice and as always 'it all depends'.

It depends if you can afford it and it depends if you are struggling in your life to find give it a high enough priority and it depends on your motivation.
    If there are some major complications in your visa application then on balance it would be a good idea.

Most people do it themselves and very successfully too.

If you decide to take the approach of having an advisor help you then I would strongly suggest to engage an experienced Immigration Advisor from UK. Make sure that any advisor you choose is a member of the OISC (Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner)
    Do be sure that whoever you take on has experience with similar application cases to yours.

There's a lot of people out there just waiting for the opportunity to take your money. Remember there are no short cuts and no guarantees for a visa, whether you have an advisor or not. Period.

You also need to understand that the advisor cannot do all the work for you. They cannot collect all the documented evidence. You still need to do that yourself.
    All they can do is ask you to supply information and the stated UKBA required documentation.

The thing is this, you don't want to forget or miss anything.
    You don't want to cut any corners or take any risks at all.
    You MUST be 100% sure that all requirements are done and dusted, with ALL supporting documents included. Don't leave anything to chance.
    In short be fully compliant.

Ultimately, you can always double check your advisor's advice here

is it wise to do it ourselves or shall we pay for a visa processing agency to assist us?
    Personal advice ... if some filipina wives can do it and get their visas without the agency, you can do it too.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaichard View Post
    personal advise ... if some filipina wives can do it and get their visas without the agency, you can do it too.

I agree with Rhaichard, I've been through with all the whole processing with the help in this forum. I kept asking questions, researching, reading all information that could help my processing..it was very stressful but it was all worth it. When I received my visa it was very overwhelming, I'm proud of myself hahaha...it's like I passed a Board Exam..you can do it without agency help. Why would i spend 80k pesos if I can do it all by myself..goodluck..

Quote Originally Posted by rhaichard View Post
    personal advice ... if some filipina wives can do it and get their visas without the agency, you can do it too.

Thank you.. it's very uplifting.. I can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by mendoza82 View Post
    I agree with Rhaichard, I've been through with all the whole processing with the help in this forum. I kept asking questions, researching, reading all information that could help my processing..it was very stressful but was all worth it. When i received my visa it was very overwhelming, I'm proud of myself hahaha...it's like I passed a Board Exam..you can do it without agency help. Why would i spend 80k pesos if I can do it all by myself..goodluck..
    Thanks,. I'll need you all to guide me here.. thanks in advance guys.. God bless

Guys I want to know if my list of requirements is already complete or am I missing anything??

PROOF OF AGE (my husband's and my birth certificate)

2 PASSPORT PHOTO
    MY PASSPORT
    MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE (wedding pics too)
    EVIDENCE THAT U HAVE MET (pictures together, plane tickets, cards/letters, chat logs)
    ENGLISH EXAM CERTIFICATE
    EVIDENCE THAT U MEET FINANCIAL REQUIREMENT (official documentation from the dept. of works and pensions confirming the entitlement of DLA and amount receive, personal bank statement in the 12month period, letter from employer confirming the employment, salary and type of employment, wage slips
    PROOF OF ACCOMMODATION (letter from the council)
    TUBERCULOSIS SCREENING CERTIFICATE
    SPONSORSHIP UNDERTAKING FORM

PLEASE CORRECT ME GUYS. THANKS

Hi, you can also add an introduction letter? or your sponsor's letter can include how you two met and details about your relationship..
    If love doesn’t require some sort of sacrifice on our part, we probably aren’t loving the person at all.

Not sure if anything's missing, but you're getting there, someone on the forum will point you in the right direction. Good luck with your application Cherrie!

Quote Originally Posted by aprilovez View Post
    Hi, you can also add an introduction letter? Or your sponsor's letter can include how you two met and details about your relationship..
    oh right, I will consider that introduction letter. Thanks Aprilovez.. and I agree with that quote..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information