Thread: Filipino Passport Renewal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar

Filipino Passport Renewal

Hi guys was just wondering how long before my wifes filipino passport expires can she renew it at the embassy ie is it 3 months, 6 months etc before expiry.

The second part I would like answering is how long does her passport have to be valid for when travelling to Spain because we plan to travel there July 2014 and passport valid till October 2014 hence the 2 part question its just so I can get some clarification so plans can be made.

Cheers...

Hi Mark,
    A Philippine passport is usually valid for 5 years. (Most others have a 10 years validity)
    As far as I know this is still the case.

For renewals, my personal opinion and advice would be to minimise all risks and wherever possible renew a passport around 9months before it expires.
    Many countries require passports to be valid for at least 6 months beyond the return date of a trip.
    Also, there are more and more airlines getting pretty strict now and plenty won't even let you check-in to board if this 6 month rule isn't met. (Or at the very least cause lots of frustrations and hassles before allowing)

Having said that I do know of quite a few folks who have travelled home to Philippines with an almost expired passport and renewed it in Manila. But it does need some checking ahead of time, and to me it seems to be a risk too far.

Regarding your specific concerns about a trip to Spain, she'll need to get a Schenghen Visa.
    Generally, the current requirements for her will be in line with this:-

Foreign nationals residing in the UK must have been granted leave to remain for more than 6 months

The applicant's UK visa must exceed the return date of the proposed trip by more than 3 months

The applicant's passport must exceed the return date of the proposed trip by more than 3 months and must have a full blank visa page for the visa

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Thanks Peter once again, it was just my wife saying that you could not renew it until it was down to the last 3 months of validity so where she got that info from I dont know

But at least that clears the way to have our hols next year and plenty of time for the passport renewal and schengen visa, infact we are getting a french one first later this year so if its valid for up to a year then that will cover for Spain also.

Well here's hoping fingers crossed.

. For renewals, my personal opinion and advice would be to minimise all risks and wherever possible renew a passport around 9months before it expires.
    Many countries require passports to be valid for at least 6 months beyond the return date of a trip.
    My passport is valid until March 14, 2014. My holiday to the UK is on Sept 2 - Oct 7, 2013.

You think its ok? I am now getting worried.

Hi rani,

UK does not require 6 months passport validity, only that the passport is still valid on the last day of your trip when you leave. So no worries on that one.

The issue you'd be best advised to clarify is the position of the airline carrier you are using.

I would strongly suggest getting written confirmation from the airline on this.
    As I mentioned before I have known plenty of others travel back home to Philippines (their country of nationality) with very short passport validity (less than 6 months) and not had any problem.

In ALL cases however they had to hand :-
    Written confirmation from the Philippine Embassy that there is no problems concerning entry to Philippines with less than 6 months passport validity.
    Written confirmation from the airline that Philippine citizens can travel to the Philippines without having a passport with 6 month validity.

It's really the check-in staff at the airport that need convincing.

Thanks for the reply Terpe. I will send an email to confirm everything.

I have encountered the same problem years ago when i forgot to review my kids passport. Cebu Pacific didnt allow them to travel with me to Singapore (just for 4 days) because their passport was expiring in less than 6 months.

Don't want to experience the same this time.

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    The 6 month validity requirement for passports does not apply when a person is traveling to their home country. A couple of years ago my wife travelled to Manila with just a few weeks left on her passport. I did get an email for the airline (Emirates) confirming, so she could take a copy with her, but there was no problem.

It also does not apply when an EU citizen is traveling to another EU country. A friend of mine came back to Spain (return to UK) with just a week or two left.

Thread Information