Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attack Syria?

Respected Member
    No its got nothing to do with us
    Let the USA play at being the world's policeman we should distant ourselves from the USA
    We made a pigs ear of Iraq and Afghanistan so lets not add Syria to the list

We never went bombing North Korea and Zimbabwe and people are suffering badly in these countries

These countries have to sort themselves out and they don't want us there anyway

Exactly fred we should keep our noses out. It is none of our buisiness. Afghanistan will be the same in a few years time we wont make any difference to that country. Getting rid of people like Assad and Hussain and these dictators is a waste of time. There will always be another one to take their place. We are just throwing money and our troops lives down the drain. Our business should start at home protecting our borders and getting rid of the scum here. And another thing by doing this we are annoying countries like Russia China and Iran and we dont want to be doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post
    No its got nothing to do with us
    Let the USA play at being the world's policeman we should distant ourselves from the USA
    We made a pigs ear of Iraq and Afghanistan so lets not add Syria to the list

We never went bombing North Korea and Zimbabwe and people are suffering bad in these countries

These countries have to sort themselves out and they don't want us there anyway

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    It should have been sorted almost three years ago, if we go in now can't really comment on what could happen!!

Trusted Member
    Attack Syria ? NO … for reasons already given on this thread, which appear to be in line with the majority of the UK general public.

It’s true there have been war crimes, crimes against humanity, gross human rights violations – murder, torture, rape, forcible displacement, and other inhumane acts … by BOTH Government forces and affiliated militia AND anti-Government armed groups in Syria. Added to this there are reasonable grounds to believe that chemical agents have been used as weapons.

The horrific video imagery of the gas victims, and breach of a 100 year old global agreement on the use of chemical warfare, resulting in hundreds more deaths and suffering, is the “ red line “ which has been crossed in President Obama’s view, also causing our Prime Minister to return from his latest holiday, and recall Parliament.

The chemical weapon used in Syria appears to be the nerve gas sarin. It is relatively easy to make in the laboratory. There is an antidote, atropine, required in large quantities as soon as possible – hard or impossible to achieve in Syria.

Of course chemical weapons – whoever is responsible - cause random suffering and death to victims, but “ conventional “ / kinetic weapons have had FAR more impact ( literally ) in causing this humanitarian disaster.

My opinion ? If any response is possible, it should be humanitarian. There are expected to be over 3 million Syrian refugees in neighbouring countries ( about a third of Lebanon’s population, with large numbers in Jordan, Turkey, Egypt and Iraq ). There have been over 100,000 deaths in Syria ( a tiny minority from chemical weapons ), over 10 million ( half the population ) will need humanitarian aid, and over 5 million are internally displaced.

A majority of the population don’t have access to adequate food, water and shelter. A&E, and health care services generally are dysfunctional or non-existent. The vaccination programme has collapsed. Communicable diseases like pneumonia have increased because of over-crowding. Stocks of medicine are running low. Patients already with lung disease ( 3/5 men and 1/5 women smoke ) are facing inadequate treatment. TB is not ( so far ) a concern.

Humanitarian aid would certainly be cheaper than military intervention. However, the arguments against ANY humanitarian aid are well known - making sure it reaches those needing it ; and, for the UK, given the state of our own economy and NHS, whether we can afford it. It COULD be afforded by rich Arab neighbouring countries.

This is a letter that was sent into the FT the other day. It probably sums up why we shouldn't bother getting involved because one way or another we're going to end up with enemies.

From Mr K N Al-Sabah.

Sir,
    Iran is backing Assad. Gulf states are against Assad!
    Assad is against Muslim Brotherhood. Muslim Brotherhood and Obama are against General Sisi.
    But Gulf states are pro Sisi! Which means they are against Muslim Brotherhood!
    Iran is pro Hamas, but Hamas is backing Muslim Brotherhood!
    Obama is backing Muslim Brotherhood, yet Hamas is against the US!
    Gulf states are pro US. But Turkey is with Gulf states against Assad; yet Turkey is pro Muslim Brotherhood against General Sisi. And General Sisi is being backed by the Gulf states!

Welcome to the Middle East and have a nice day.

K N Al-Sabah, London EC4, UK

Will Cameron listen though? Thats another question.

This was a cracker I read.
    Three years ago this current lot of incompetent politicians told us all we had to accept pay cuts, pension increases, cuts to vital frontline services like the Army and Policing because we had no money left. Now we have billions to spend on a new train set for the rich to play on and billions for another war game, what liars the lot of them.

The thing I worry about is Mr Putin and his love for that part of the world.This guy is ex KGB and selling ARMS TO Syria and he has really expressed his unrest about the UK interfering.Its also great how we seem to have money for this and at the same time sacking health professionals and throwing people out of hospital not to mention the education and police they are cutting down because they say theres no money

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Will Cameron listen though? Thats another question.
    No he will not and he has probably agreed to back the USA on the telephone already

Our only hope is massive public opinion against these war mongers

Weapons of mass destruction anyone remember all those complete lies

The surrounding Arab nations should be the ones to intervene and stop the killing!

Respected Member
    Apparently some targeted bombing is going to sort all this out

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Apparently some targeted bombing is going to sort all this out
    I stick by my previous posts I honestly believe the world cannot stand by and let this atrocity continue and believe me it will continue unless these crackpot dictators are taken to boot.

Whether its the british, american, french whoever combined I believe these people only listen to one thing (forget diplomacy with these people its not in there vocabulary) and that is the decent societies in this world will not stand by and let it happen.

A bit harsh from me but we have to show that these atrocities will not be tolerated.

Just my views guys...

Why do we have to do it? Why can't some of these incredibly rich middle east countries do it?
    Too busy building palaces of gold funded by obscene oil profits

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marksroomspain View Post
    I stick by my previous posts I honestly believe the world cannot stand by and let this atrocity continue and believe me it will continue unless these crackpot dictators are taken to boot.

Whether its the british, american, french whoever combined I believe these people only listen to one thing (forget diplomacy with these people its not in there vocabulary) and that is the decent societies in this world will not stand by and let it happen.

A bit harsh from me but we have to show that these atrocities will not be tolerated.

Just my views guys...
    My view as well Mark. .Appeasement isn't in my vocabulary.

Not sure how accurate this is but it gives a rough guide of Middle East conflicts since the turn of the twentieth century.

Spot the peaceful year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...he_Middle_East

I suppose it's always a bit easier to shout for other peoples sons and daughters to be sent to these hell holes.
    There are plenty of soldiers within the Nations of the Arab League and for the life of me I cant understand why they cant all get together as Arabs to save their fellow Arabs.
    Instead it's left to the western nations to once again go and upset all the extremists muslims throughout the world and bring more trouble to our own doorstep.

Parliament votes to reject possible military action against Syria

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23892783

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    I am a guy who believes whatever will be will be, if nothing gets done consequences if something is done consequences of course they will be consequences no matter what.

I do not believe in sending our troops into this arab hell hole because this will do nothing.

What I do beleive is to send a message that shows that we as a civilised society will not tolerate this and as the lawyers have stated a hit on this scum is perfectly legal ie: humanitarian to save life.

Myself as a father does not come into this I see what I see, I feel the pain of these poor children and their families.

Now as a society lets end this suffering now...

I am sorry but this is my final post on this subject, I will now refrain...

Banned
    You join the services first and foremost to do battle in the name of queen and country. ..the trade training and apprenticeships are secondary.

The innocent getting killed didn't have any choice.

The Yanks just like in the second world war will save our bacon.

looks like we not getting involved for now good news

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    looks like we not getting involved for now good news
    I enjoyed the vote in the commons last night

A good slap in the face for Cameron

I am not a great fan of Miliband but he went up in my estimation yesterday just for standing up for what the majority of the British people want = staying out of Syria

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    You join the services first and foremost to do battle in the name of queen and country. ..the trade training and apprenticeships are secondary.

The yanks turned up late for both world wars and we have only just paid them off for the money they lent us during world war 2

After Pearl Harbor they had no choice but to enter world war 2

I dont like seeing our servicemen returning home with legs and arms blown off from a conflict that has nothing to do with us

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    I suppose it's always a bit easier to shout for other peoples sons and daughters to be sent to these hell holes.
    There are plenty of soldiers within the Nations of the Arab League and for the life of me I cant understand why they cant all get together as Arabs to save their fellow Arabs.
    Instead it's left to the western nations to once again go and upset all the extremists muslims throughout the world and bring more trouble to our own doorstep.
    I agree....but of course the West don't want to see oil production affected, or our valuable contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post

As a father of a serving soldier I do not think this is doing battle in the name of queen and country. She would be going into a country that is nothing to do with us. If other countries were invading us I could understand it but this is totally different. Like has been said the saudis have the most money out there why dont they sort it out?. Or is Cameron trying to take the minds off people about what is going on in this country?.

Trusted Member
    The yanks turned up late for both world wars and we have only just paid them off for the money they lent us during world war 2

After Pearl Harbor they had no choice but to enter world war 2

I dont like seeing our servicemen returning home with legs and arms blown off from a conflict that has nothing to do with us
    I agree.

Keep our noses out of it. Let these lunatics sort out their own problems.

At least then we can make some money on replenishing their arms supplies instead of wasting our own.
    Also lots of work to be had in the future, re-building the wreckage of their peaceful god-fearing little -hole countries.

Trusted Member
    I enjoyed the vote in the commons last night

A good slap in the face for Cameron

I am not a great fan of Miliband but he went up in my estimation yesterday just for standing up for what the majority of the British people want = staying out of Syria
    Good timing for Millipede, who desperately needed something to restore his credibility (if he ever had any).

Now he can appear the public hero.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    Fully agree, our decision not to get involved is such a relief, let the Arabs sort there own problems out. If we had conflict the same as Syria in the UK, would the Middle east come to our rescue? I don't think so!

Trusted Member
    That will take another thousand years Michael, but at least we can keep clear of this particular scrap.
    Maybe build a fence around them or something.

The yanks have room to talk remember hiroshima.? Keep well out of it thats what I say.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information