Thread: English test to be a nurse here

English test to be a nurse here

Hi all.

Got a question.

My wife needs to get a little more score on the IELTS to be a registered nurse here.

The problem being in Guernsey they do not do IELTS but they do ESOL.
    The head of the college here said the equivalent score to IELTS 7 would be a C1 OR C2.

Does anyone know if the Nursing council will accept this kind of test or does it have to be IELTS?

I emailed them last week but still no reply and trying to get through to them on the phone is near impossible.

Thanks

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I wouldn't have thought it mattered what English test Robbie, it's the score that's important!

On the Nurses and midwifery council webpage they only state the an IELTS test score of 7 or more will be accepted. They do not say they will accept any other equivalent

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    I wouldn't have thought it mattered what english test Robbie, it's the score that's important!

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robbie bobby View Post
    Hi all.

Got a question.

My wife needs to get a little more score on the IELTS to be a registered nurse here.

The problem being in Guernsey they do not do IELTS but they do ESOL.
    The head of the college here said the equivalent score to IELTS 7 would be a C1 OR C2.

Does anyone know if the Nursing council will accept this kind of test or does it have to be IELTS?

I emailed them last week but still no reply and trying to get through to them on the phone is near impossible.

Thanks
    Hi Robbie I have been doing some research for you and the Channel Islands are the same as the mainland ie: the NMC will only accept IELTS as a recognised English test to enrol as a nurse here at Level 7 in all categories.

My wife is going through the same predicament as your wife. Although its quite difficult to reach Level 7 - especially in academic rather than the general version of IELTS - it's achievable with plenty of study.

Just to let you know my wife has taken it twice and last time one of the scores was just 0.5 out and that's with a 9-month old baby to take care of .

Rest assured, with a lot of hard work, determination and support, she will achieve her dream. Good luck.

That's a real shame. She gained 6.5 in the academic IELTS before coming here. It was the only course going at the time and she didn't even study!

Quote Originally Posted by marksroomspain View Post
    Hi Robbie I have been doing some research for you and the Channel Islands are the same as the mainland ie: the NMC will only accept IELTS as a recognised English test to enrol as a nurse here at Level 7 in all categories.

My wife is going through the same predicament as your wife. Although it's quite difficult to reach Level 7 - especially in academic rather than the general version of IELTS - it's achievable with plenty of study.

Just to let you know my wife has taking it twice and last time one of the scores was just 0.5 out and that's with a 9-month old baby to take care of .

Rest assured, with a lot of hard work, determination and support, she will achieve her dream. Good luck.

Wait until I tell her.She will be gutted. The nearest place we can go is London and its not exactly near to Guernsey. Shocking! I will look to find out if they do it in Jersey. Theres always some kind of obstacle!!

She speaks better English than me come to think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie bobby View Post

She speaks better English than me come to think of it.
    Aye, well ... ... that may be so, Robbie ... but (like me) you're a !

Thread Information