Thread: bloody taps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

bloody taps

Well the tap in the kitchen has come loose and looking under the kitchen sink the nut that holds the tap has broken, so off to wicks, we dont sell them was the answer you have to buy the tap, you can imagine my answer and it ended with off,
    So off to B&Q and yes i brought one well 2 just incase and its done fixed but just waiting for the leak to appear, why of why do they have to put everything under the kitchen sink so you cant get to it, have you tried putting PTF tape onto the tap behind the sink and you have to feel you way, , there has to be a easy way with out paying someone else , still not leak yet

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    Well the tap in the kitchen has come loose and looking under the kitchen sink the nut that holds the tap has broken, so off to wicks, we dont sell them was the answer you have to buy the tap, you can imagine my answer and it ended with off,
    So off to B&Q and yes i brought one well 2 just incase and its done fixed but just waiting for the leak to appear, why of why do they have to put everything under the kitchen sink so you cant get to it, have you tried putting PTF tape onto the tap behind the sink and you have to feel you way, , there has to be a easy way with out paying someone else , still not leak yet
    Sorry but you DO make me laugh! I hope you get it sorted soon

you may laugh Rosie, but i am not the smallest man and trying to get under the sink with a spanner in one hand and a torch in my mouth something has to give , and remember i have 1 front tooth missing so there is not enough grip on the torch, AND ITS LEAKING AGAIN, where is Ems i need someone to blame for this

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    you may laugh Rosie, but i am not the smallest man and trying to get under the sink with a spanner in one hand and a torch in my mouth something has to give , and remember i have 1 front tooth missing so there is not enough grip on the torch, AND ITS LEAKING AGAIN, where is Ems i need someone to blame for this
    LOL ......... ,sorry Steve but I have given you a rep for the humour you bring to this forum which has just turned you into a silver star. I hope this will at least bring a bit of comfort in your hour of need!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie1958 View Post
    LOL ......... ,sorry Steve but I have given you a rep for the humour you bring to this forum which has just turned you into a silver star. I hope this will at least bring a bit of comfort in your hour of need!
    well thankyou very much Rosie, so kind,
    I like to think that if you can make someone smile its worth so much and maybe thats why i am here,
    Its seems to have worked too the star, the drip has left the kitchen and i dont mean me either

Where's it leaking from?

where there should be more PTF tape, but i cant put enough on without having a cold sweat moment, and having to come and get some fresh air, and tell everyone on here my woo,s

There should only be PTFE tape on a thread, are there flexible hose tails coming from the bottom of the tap and joining onto your copper pipe?

yes there is and i have put PTF tape on the thread , but seems not enough, the second time seems to be holding , i cant hear the drip over me slurping my coffee , i will check later

Congrats on the silver star

If the PTFE (Polytetraflouraethylene or Teflon for short) doesn't work, then try some Fernox LSX leak sealant, it comes in small 50ml tubes and can be applied when the pipework is wet

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Congrats on the silver star

If the PTFE (Polytetraflouraethylene or Teflon for short) doesn't work, then try some Fernox LSX leak sealant, it comes in small 50ml tubes and can be applied when the pipework is wet
    thanks Simon, it looks like it has fixed itself but lets wait and see , could be walking in water tomorrow morning

Trusted Member
    You'll soon become an expert plumber...and electrician, after you've moved to the Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    You'll soon become an expert plumber...and electrician, after you've moved to the Philippines.
    And i cant wait for that day

Steve..If it leaks again..Weld it..
    Just hope the tap lasts another 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Steve..If it leaks again..Weld it..
    Just hope the tap lasts another 4 years.

if its a brass nut on a copper fitting, its called a tap connector, do not put ptfe on the thread of this or the tap,look inside the nut there you will see the copper flange, make a ptfe washer to go round it without covering the hole, or buy a fibre washer made for the job,

great job working under sink units, had many a tea pot poured on me under there,

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I must admit Steve, as soon as I'd seen your heading "Bloody Taps" made me laugh, for that I've given you a rep for brightening my morning!

well Michael, like anything in life if its going wrong it takes a little time to fix it, but my beautiful tap is behaving just right , for now

Thread Information