Thread: upset

upset

Hello again! Ive done my chest xray last week at IOM for my spouse visa application but I had to take the sputum test and the result is after 10 weeks. I was about to apply online this week but the clinic delayed this Im not sick, and dont have tb history. I just had cough and cold that day. Now, me and my husband are very upset. Anyone here who had an experience in sputum test? Is TB test really necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by alexis View Post
    Hello again! I've done my chest xray last week at IOM for my spouse visa application but I had to take the sputum test and the result is after 10 weeks. I was about to apply online this week but the clinic delayed this I'm not sick, and don't have tb history. I just had cough and cold that day. Now, me and my husband are very upset. Anyone here who had an experience in sputum test? Is TB test really necessary?
    ... ten weeks seems a long time to wait, Alexis ... ... isn't there any chance of a quicker outcome given the circumstances?

Theres no other quicker way sir arthur

Hi Alexis, My wife had to do this also . They are very strict on it. When you go back to the centre again for your certificate they will give you another x-ray. My wife had a slight mark on her lung again and had to then stay another day there to get a letter from the doctor who did the original x-ray. Before they would issue her certificate . Very expensive for the 3 trips and hotel stay and very stressful for my wife. But I am sure it will work out for you in the end, it just takes time. My wife application is at the embassy now .

Quote Originally Posted by grahame 1 View Post
    Hi Alexis, My wife had to do this also . They are very strict on it. When you go back to the centre again for your certificate they will give you another x-ray. My wife had a slight mark on her lung again and had to then stay another day there to get a letter from the doctor who did the original x-ray. Before they would issue her certificate . Very expensive for the 3 trips and hotel stay and very stressful for my wife. But I am sure it will work out for you in the end, it just takes time. My wife application is at the embassy now .
    Hello Grahame, so its another xray after d sputum test result?

Trusted Member
    Alexis, I understand you and your husband are upset at this delay, especially as you’re not sick and don’t have a history of TB.

As you know, since the end of February this year, TB testing is part of the visa application process for people planning to come to the UK for over 6 months ( http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/co...?langname=null
    ).

It states in the link that :-

If you have the standard test your results and certificate should be available in 24 hours. If the test results are inconclusive you may be required to take a sputum test (phlegm coughed up from your lungs), the results from this test can take up to 2 months to process and there may be an additional charge. If you do not have tuberculosis you will be given a certificate, which you should submit with your visa application. The certificate is usually valid for 6 months.

You will not be issued with a certificate if you have been diagnosed with tuberculosis. The clinician will give you advice about treatment and provide you with a treatment referral letter. Treatment can take up to 6 months to complete. You will not be able to apply for a UK visa until you can show you have had treatment for tuberculosis and you are free from the disease.

There is plenty information on TB elsewhere on the Forum; see Immigration and Health Issues sections.

While I don’t know you personally, it’s unlikely, in my opinion, that you do have TB. I think your test centre had no choice but to require sputum testing, as you had a cough and cold on the day of your chest X-ray.

The chest X-ray is the main test for TB, but not the only one. It’s necessary to have a full clinical history and examination by the doctor at the test centre, as TB may not just affect the lungs. The doctor needs to know if you have been vaccinated ( BCG ; which doesn’t guarantee 100% protection ), and may require a skin test ( Mantoux ). Blood tests ( IGRA / Xpert MTB/RIF test ) are also becoming available, which might be used instead of ( or as well as ) sputum tests, to give a more rapid diagnosis.

If there are symptoms such as coughing with sputum production, then sputum sample(s) do need to be tested.

The sample(s) are examined under the microscope for the TB bug ( Mycobacterium tuberculosis ). This needs a special stain ( Ziehl-Neelsen ) ; but even if someone has TB, the bugs can be very elusive to see. Negative direct microscopy doesn’t rule out TB.

The sputum needs to be “ cultured “ to allow any TB bugs to grow. Unfortunately they grow slowly, so it takes several weeks before they can be examined. “ Ten weeks “ – as you were told – is the maximum time ( six weeks would be more usual ). If positive, it could then take a further month or so to make sure which antibiotics to use. ( If there were clinical signs of TB, treatment could be started before the culture results ).

If, as expected in your case, culture for TB bugs is negative, and you have no symptoms, with a normal original chest X-ray, I wouldn’t expect a further X-ray would be necessary. The decision would, however, be up to the doctor at the centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post

The chest X-ray is the main test for TB, but not the only one. It’s necessary to have a full clinical history and examination by the doctor at the test centre, as TB may not just affect the lungs. The doctor needs to know if you have been vaccinated ( BCG ; which doesn’t guarantee 100% protection ), and may require a skin test ( Mantoux ). Blood tests ( IGRA / Xpert MTB/RIF test ) are also becoming available, which might be used instead of ( or as well as ) sputum tests, to give a more rapid diagnosis.

If there are symptoms such as coughing with sputum production, then sputum sample(s) do need to be tested.

The sample(s) are examined under the microscope for the TB bug ( Mycobacterium tuberculosis ). This needs a special stain ( Ziehl-Neelsen ) ; but even if someone has TB, the bugs can be very elusive to see. Negative direct microscopy doesn’t rule out TB.

The sputum needs to be “ cultured “ to allow any TB bugs to grow. Unfortunately they grow slowly, so it takes several weeks before they can be examined. “ Ten weeks “ – as you were told – is the maximum time ( six weeks would be more usual ). If positive, it could then take a further month or so to make sure which antibiotics to use. ( If there were clinical signs of TB, treatment could be started before the culture results ).

If, as expected in your case, culture for TB bugs is negative, and you have no symptoms, with a normal original chest X-ray, I wouldn’t expect a further X-ray would be necessary. The decision would, however, be up to the doctor at the centre.
    Now I know why the results take so long... Im hoping for negative result as I dont have any symptoms of TB. But I dont understand why do I need to repeat the xray if my sputum is negative? But anyway thanks for the information Doc Alan!

Hi Alexis. that is what happened to my wife. She thought she was just going to pick up her certificate, but had to do another x-ray

Quote Originally Posted by grahame 1 View Post
    Hi Alexis. that is what happened to my wife. She thought she was just going to pick up her certificate, but had to do another x-ray
    So she had to do another xray even if d sputum result is negative? OMG Did she have to pay another Php 3,200?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alexis View Post
    So she had to do another xray even if d sputum result is negative? OMG Did she have to pay another Php 3,200?
    It's more fun in the Philippines. ...If you got loads of for in ethical Philippine officialdom

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    It's more fun in the Philippines. ...If you got loads of for in ethical Philippine officialdom
    Lol. So true!

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    Nothing to do with Philippines...........it's a UKBA mandatory requirement that must be undertaken at the one and only UKBA approved clinic.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Nothing to do with Philippines...........it's a UKBA mandatory requirement that must be undertaken at the one and only UKBA approved clinic.
    Correct, and the healthcare workers in the clinic are carefully selected. While as I have explained, there MAY be no clinical need to repeat the Chest X-ray, that really is a decision for the responsible doctor on site.

Tuberculosis is STILL a serious disease ; this is a serious topic ; and it's vital to ensure that EITHER there is no evidence of the disease, OR it is treated promptly and with the best combination of genuine antibiotics for many months.

Quote Originally Posted by sherie View Post
    Lol. So true!
    HI SHERIE! My husband is coming in december for 2 weeks and im interested in renting a condominium. Please let me know how can i contact u, i dont know how to leave a message here. Please. I haven't booked hotel yet because they are so expensive and we are on a budget.

Hello alexis. I dont know how to PM either but I will post my fb url on your profile.. See u there!

Thread Information