Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben Fogle New lives in the wild 14th Feb 9pm Channel 5 - Leyte

Ben Fogle New lives in the wild 14th Feb 9pm Channel 5 - Leyte

The adventurer journeys to a remote part of Leyte, one of the 7,000 tropical islands that make up the Philippines, to spend time with Neil Hoag, a 45-year-old former taxi driver from Florida. Ben joins the coconut farmer and his young family in their hillside bamboo house to experience daily life in a harsh and unforgiving climate, discovering why Neil ditched the hunt for the American dream.

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/cs...ippines-jungle
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

thanks Joe, i like Ben Fogle,
    I enjoy watching his shows and i shall loo forward to watching this too,

Thanks for the heads up on that Joe

Got to be a 'must-see' on that one....well for me at least.

Respected Member
    Good find!

I saw this last week when he was in America. Fogle is good at this sort of programme.

i watched last nights, again i did enjoy this, next weeks is the chap in the phils,
    Watching the programs so far it shows it can be done but you still need money, not a lot but so much income coming in each month or year,
    See what he does next week and that may push me along a little quicker i hope, but the only problem hes a yank so thats not a very good start

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    My favourite kind of TV!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    My favourite kind of TV!
    Yep to that

Trusted Member
    So, did anyone else watch it ?

Reminded me of when I lived in the Bicol mountains for a few months...except we DIDN'T have electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    So, did anyone else watch it ?

Reminded me of when I lived in the Bicol mountains for a few months...except we DIDN'T have electricity.
    Recorded......likely watch it later if I can stay awake......too many glasses of champers

... missed it! Ended up watching a repeat of 'New Tricks' ... ironically, the episode entitled, "Old Fossils" - guest-starring the late Trevor Bannister - which had been filmed shortly before the '70s 'Are You Being Served' actor's death from a heart attack at the age of 76 three years ago.

I did watch it , a beautiful place but what a sad man i thought he was, he seemed to be on some sort of drug ,

It has not put me of from moving there , but not there ,

Save save and more saving , just need to get there quicker i am thinking,

Trusted Member
    I think you have to take these heavily-edited programmes with a pinch of salt.

They're not going to show much of the day to day humdrum stuff where he's just going about his business and taking care of his family.

These 'reality' shows need entertainment, all squeezed into 30 mins, and with the use of a lot of provocation and leading questions.

You're hardly likely to find a man who is 'the average Joe' leading that kind of life, but he's apparently built a house, reared what looks like a lovely family, and been doing it for 11 years already...so he must have some kind of head on his shoulders.

As for the preoccupation with the 'horror' of killing a damned chicken for lunch (and later, a pig), PLEASE, give me a break. That's just called the REAL WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I think you have to take these heavily-edited programmes with a pinch of salt.

They're not going to show much of the day to day humdrum stuff where he's just going about his business and taking care of his family.

These 'reality' shows need entertainment, all squeezed into 30 mins, and with the use of a lot of provocation and leading questions.

You're hardly likely to find a man who is 'the average Joe' leading that kind of life, but he's apparently built a house, reared what looks like a lovely family, and been doing it for 11 years already...so he must have some kind of head on his shoulders.

As for the preoccupation with the 'horror' of killing a damned chicken for lunch (and later, a pig), PLEASE, give me a break. That's just called the REAL WORLD.
    The one thing that hurt me the most was the way they kill the pig, it really upset me to hear it suffering whilst dying, sometimes took an hour to die. Couldn't harm any animal if it involved a slow death, it's so cruel!

It made good viewing but to be honest i found it a bit disappointing
    I would say he was deffo on drugs

AN HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE

The one thing that hurt me the most was the way they kill the pig, it really upset me to hear it suffering whilst dying, sometimes took an hour to die. Couldn't harm any animal if it involved a slow death, it's so cruel!
    A compassionate carnivore!

Much better to stuff 'em on a conveyor belt in large groups and make them wait for an hour, as the other pigs are stunned individually. Or another method is to stuff 'em in a room and release carbon dioxide until they are dead. At least they wont be able squeal

Trusted Member
    Yep. I used to be a foreman on a commercial turkey farm, complete with our own processing plant, so I know where you're coming from Jake.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    A compassionate carnivore!
    Much better to stuff em on a conveyor belt in large groups and make them wait for an hour, as the other pigs are stunned individually. Or another method is to stuff em in a room and release carbon dioxide until they are dead. At least they wont be able squeal

When my grandparents was growing pigs and chickens in Laguna when I was younger, the thing that I hate the most was waking up in the morning of fiesta day with pig squealing so loud because it will be butchered. I usually just stayed in our room the whole time until the pig was dead. It gave me chills. But I can't deny that I'm a carnivore. I just hated the way it was killed. The chickens are easier though. I even helped my uncles kill it when I was younger. Just a straight slit of the throat and it's dead. The worst thing I viewed when I was a kid was a neighbour killing a dog for their pulutan. Up to this date, I can't remove the image of it. I remember me, my aunt and my siblings were crying while seeing it that time. That made me hate my neighbours and has never interacted with them ever since.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post

When my grandparents was growing pigs and chickens in Laguna when I was younger, the thing that I hate the most was waking up in the morning of fiesta day with pig squealing so loud because it will be butchered. I usually just stayed in our room the whole time until the pig was dead. It gave me chills. But I can't deny that I'm a carnivore. I just hated the way it was killed. The chickens are easier though. I even helped my uncles kill it when I was younger. Just a straight slit of the throat and it's dead. The worst thing I viewed when I was a kid was a neighbour killing a dog for their pulutan. Up to this date, I can't remove the image of it. I remember me, my aunt and my siblings were crying while seeing it that time. That made me hate my neighbours and has never interacted with them ever since.
    Thank you Rayna!

I remember - during one of my visits to the Phils - hearing for the very first time, the awful, blood~curdling squeals of a pig that was being slaughtered in the garden adjoining that of Myrna's relatives with whom I'd been living throughout my stay.

... I still shudder whenever I'm reminded of the truly dreadful impact such sounds had on my (shall we say?) more imaginative musings!

for those who missed it

http://www.channel5.com/shows/ben-fo.../episode-3-554

the guy looked like he was on something

and fogle attempting to cut the chickens head off i wonder what his vet father thought of it
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

When in Rome! I have just watched the program and enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    I remember - during one of my visits to the Phils - hearing for the very first time, the awful, blood~curdling squeals of a pig that was being slaughtered in the garden adjoining that of Myrna's relatives with whom I'd been living throughout my stay.

... I still shudder whenever I'm reminded of the truly dreadful impact such sounds had on my (shall we say?) more imaginative musings!
    Out of sight,out of mind.
    There were 9 million of these exact same squeals in the UK last year Don't be fooled into thinking that these pigs were treated or slaughtered in a better manner, just because it was the UK

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Out of sight,out of mind.
    There were 9 million of these exact same squeals in the UK last year Don't be fooled into thinking that these pigs were treated or slaughtered in a better manner, just because it was the UK
    do they have animal rights laws in the phils
    I've seen animals abused in the phils, ranging from zoo's, petshops and owners.

as for slaughterhouses in the UK, well gov qango defra was stripped of having the powers to prosecute and the CPS was given the powers, its a start in the right direction.

http://alaw.org.uk/2012/04/slaughter...-intervention/

I watched the programme and did enjoy it.
    I'd agree with the point Graham makes about editing.....I just wonder what the edit was all about..Didn't seem to focus much on the challenges he faces/faced in his daily life, how and why he balances his curious lifestyle between Leyte and Florida or discovering the 'why's'
    Unless it was just fact that he came from a broken dysfunctional family.

As others have mentioned he did seem to be 'odd'....I ended up feeling the 'edit' was all about the dark corners of Neil's mind.
    His wife seemed to be the only 'normal' member of the family. His kids looked withdrawn and 'spaced out' .....not much like typical kids.

It was an interesting lifestyle.....not something that would bring happiness to my wife though .....the programme didn't reach it's potential IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I watched the programme and did enjoy it.
    I'd agree with the point Graham makes about editing.....I just wonder what the edit was all about..Didn't seem to focus much on the challenges he faces/faced in his daily life, how and why he balances his curious lifestyle between Leyte and Florida or discovering the 'why's'
    Unless it was just fact that he came from a broken dysfunctional family.

As others have mentioned he did seem to be 'odd'....I ended up feeling the 'edit' was all about the dark corners of Neil's mind.
    His wife seemed to be the only 'normal' member of the family. His kids looked withdrawn and 'spaced out' .....not much like typical kids.

It was an interesting lifestyle.....not something that would bring happiness to my wife though .....the programme didn't reach it's potential IMO
    Everyone is different Peter, I suppose there are some of us yet to meet these kind that are different!

Everyone is different Peter, I suppose there are some of us yet to meet these kind that are different!
    Co-incidently I met a similar character who was living close to Carina's home village. He was German and a few months per year taxi driver in Hamburg. Very very similar behaviour to Neil in the Leyte programme.
    I'll not detail what happened at the end.......plenty of interesting stories and local gossip though...

just watched it again and just like you and many more say, it seemed to show him and ben more on what he has now and how he lives the day to day life

Trusted Member
    Next series may be about you living in a Mersk container Steve.

you may be right there Graham, i was only on about that to Ems,

Ems told me i will be living alone in that place while she lives in the nice house next door

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information