Quote Originally Posted by chiechie View Post
I live in Staines
You live in a snob town Chiechie

After 100's of years as plain old Staines 2 years ago the local council laughably changed its name to Staines-upon-Thames to try to compete with the Henleys, Richmonds etc. Doesn't change my opinion though - don't take this the wrong way but I can't stand the place

The Surrey town made famous by spoof rapper Ali G has officially changed its name in a bid to improve its image.

Staines yesterday marked its official rebirth as the more upmarket Staines-upon-Thames in a day of celebration that included boat races, maypole dancing and music performances.

The commuter town's rebranding hopes to attract more business and tourists to the area, highlighting its location on the banks of the River Thames and historical links.

Councillor Colin Davis said the town had 'a reputational difficulty - nationally and internationally', when the move was voted in by the local council last year.

The proposal is said to have come from its 'economic development theme group', which 'believed current negative perceptions of Staines were limiting investment and economic growth'.

Cllr Davis told the BBC yesterday: 'Ali G may have had a role, but I think it goes back further than that.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...#ixzz2utuV5VCS