Thread: Killer Flights! - Ultra Long Haul

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My longest actual flying time was 24 hours from Brize Norton in UK to Hong Kong in the early 1970s on a Royal Air Force VC10. This excludes the time spent on three re-fuelling stops in Cyprus, Mazerah and Gan in Maldives. It was also without TV or radio and we had to amuse ourselves with reading, playing cards, drawing, writing, chatting, etc. What a breeze it is now to fly 12.30 hours direct to Hong Kong non stop from UK with an electronic entertainment centre!

The longest distance I’ve flown is UK to Philippines on numerous occasions. I am very well travelled and no longer enjoy long haul flights but it’s a means to an end and I so enjoy going to different countries and experiencing different cultures.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie1958 View Post
    My longest actual flying time was 24 hours from Brize Norton in UK to Hong Kong in the early 1970s on a Royal Air Force VC10. This excludes the time spent on three re-fuelling stops in Cyprus, Mazerah and Gan in Maldives. It was also without TV or radio and we had to amuse ourselves with reading, playing cards, drawing, writing, chatting, etc. What a breeze it is now to fly 12.30 hours direct to Hong Kong non stop from UK with an electronic entertainment centre!

The longest distance I’ve flown is UK to Philippines on numerous occasions. I am very well travelled and no longer enjoy long haul flights but it’s a means to an end and I so enjoy going to different countries and experiencing different cultures.
    That Marerah stop is that ex RAF base Masirah in Oman?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    That Marerah stop is that ex RAF base Masirah in Oman?
    Hi Ricky, yes it was RAF Masirah in the Oman ......... do you know it? I always remember it as being stiflingly hot, there were only about 6 streets on the island and when we landed there was a water shortage. I felt very ungrateful when offered water as I couldn't bring myself to drink it ....... there were little red worms swimming in it

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie1958 View Post
    Hi Ricky, yes it was RAF Masirah in the Oman ......... do you know it? I always remember it as being stiflingly hot, there were only about 6 streets on the island and when we landed there was a water shortage. I felt very ungrateful when offered water as I couldn't bring myself to drink it ....... there were little red worms swimming in it
    Yes it's pretty much the same, but known as RAFO Masirah now. We go camping there occasionally, because it's so remote and quiet.

Thread Information