Banned

FAO Terpe £5 off a £40 spend at Aldi

Voucher in the Sun 9 April

Bulk buy of Steinhauser ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Voucher in the Sun 9 April

Bulk buy of Steinhauser ?

Thanks for the heads-up Ded

I just got back from my local Aldi with some great savings on some very cheap smoked salmon and some wonderful Alsace wines.

Looks like I'll be forced to get buy The Sun tomorrow

aldi - germans how could you dedworth
    try morrisons

they give vouchers out pretty often, collect 2 for £10 off, xmas it was collect 8 for £40 off
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    Tesco are currently giving away a £5 voucher on a spend of £20. You then have to spend £40 to redeem it.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/zones...spx?name=offer

FARMFOODS vouchers the best, spend £50 get £5 off, there is not a freezer big enough to put all that shopping in

Banned
    Which one of the above rogue traders sell cheap Dortmunder lager?

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Which one of the above EU traders sell cheap Dortmunder lager?
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

you know you have dropped out of being middle class when ya start shoppin at aldi

Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post
    you know you have dropped out of being middle class when ya start shoppin at aldi
    We have a Lidl right next door to Aldi.............I always pop round there too for selected bargains after my trip to Aldi

last time I went to aldi I wore sunglasses coz I did,nt want my neighbours spotting me shoppin there hahahaha

Since i have only me to worry about i get the good stuff from waitrose.
    I can pretend to be middle class for 20 mins lol
    Some fit ladies in there too!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    We have a Lidl right next door to Aldi.............I always pop round there too for selected bargains after my trip to Aldi
    I prefer Lidl Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    FARMFOODS vouchers the best, spend £50 get £5 off, there is not a freezer big enough to put all that shopping in
    Very risky having a freezer full of food in the Philippines thats for sure with the amount of powercuts going on lol. There is no such thing as food insurance here.

Very risky having a freezer full of food in the Philippines thats for sure with the amount of powercuts going on lol. There is no such thing as food insurance here.
    We've experienced that a couple of times too

Brian, wouldn't a small generator keep a freezer going for a while ?

Within 3 miles of me I have 2 Tesco's. 3 tesco expresses. 2 Asdas 1 sainsburys, 1 sainsbury express. 1 lidls and 2 aldis and a farmfoods. Oh and not forgetting waitrose.

I use Tesco mainly only because of the clubcard points.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    We've experienced that a couple of times too

Brian, wouldn't a small generator keep a freezer going for a while ?
    It would but ive got 20 pc,s lol so i,ll need a rather big one

Banned
    last time I went to aldi I wore sunglasses coz I did,nt want my neighbours spotting me shoppin there hahahaha
    You've been away too long Tiger :-

How Aldi won the class war - and became the fastest-growing supermarket in Britain

Ready yourselves to deck the halls and abandon austerity. Christmas, as every retailer knows, is the time when most households splash out and visit a better-quality supermarket. This is why Marks & Spencer, despite being only Britain’s seventh biggest, sells nearly more mince pies than anyone else. But there is one supermarket that is going to give M&S a run for its money this year: Aldi.

Good Housekeeping magazine, in its annual round-up of the best seasonal food, says this is the place to go if you want the best-quality Christmas pudding. The chain’s stuffing and turkey is also highly commended.

This may surprise some. Aldi has been best known, until recently, for its ultra-low prices and pile-it-high selection of strangely branded baked beans and cornflakes. Bramwells Mayonnaise or Tamova vodka, anyone? But in the past few years, the chain has been winning over an increasing number of upmarket customers. Tomorrow its relentless march into Middle England will be confirmed when its 500th store opens in Bury St Edmunds, the affluent Suffolk market town. This follows hot on the heels of its branch in chi‑chi Knutsford, in George Osborne’s Cheshire constituency.

Verdict, a retail research company, has calculated that last year 12.9 per cent of Aldi’s regular customers were from the A B socioeconomic group – what most people would call “middle class”. That figure has leapt to 18.6 per cent this year.

This is a remarkable achievement, proof of how far Aldi has come since arriving in a Britain that was in the teeth of the early Nineties recession. Founded by the secretive Albrecht family after the war, the company now stretches around the world and has made Karl Albrecht, 90, Germany’s richest man. But it also demonstrates how this recession has caused a huge shift in shopping patterns, with people more willing to shop around in search of a bargain, and also for a treat.

As Andrew Stevens at Verdict says: “People shop at Aldi for different reasons. We can’t forget that a lot of people are still really feeling the squeeze. Unemployment is high and so is inflation, and those affected have no choice – shopping at a discounter is a way of life. But there are a lot of people who are proud about being able to pick up something high quality for not a lot of money.”

This reverse snobbism – being able to boast about sourcing your coquilles St Jacques or claret from Aldi – has played a large part in its success, helping it to win customers trading down not just from Asda and Tesco, but from Sainsbury’s and Waitrose.

“Their advertising has helped,” says Chris Longbottom, a director at Kantar Worldpanel, a retail analytics company. “It is very British and understated and has consistently conveyed the message that their brands are just as good as well-known brands – but a lot cheaper. Everyone – be they working class or middle class – likes to think they are savvy.”

Most shop at Aldi for the cheap staples – its everyday spaghetti is 23p a pack, versus 39p at Tesco. But more and more are coming for delicacies, too. Its Christmas range, just unveiled, includes 6.5kg legs of Serrano ham for £49.99 – a fraction of the £407 price tag at some exclusive outlets; lobster tails weighing 240g, which will sell for £9.99; and a 2007 Gevrey-Chambertin, a red Burgundy, which is available for £19.99 – cheaper than the lowest price available at a good wine merchant.

These are not gimmicks. Aldi’s wine frequently wins silver medals at the Decanter awards, while its own-label chocolates, yogurts, bacon and biscuits have picked up more prizes from Grocer magazine than any other supermarket this year. Members of Which?, the consumer organisation, voted it the best supermarket for two years in a row.

Questions have been asked about how the company can sell relatively high-quality goods at very low prices. One answer is that it puts a lot of pressure on its Europe-wide suppliers to keep prices low. Many were not surprised when two Aldi beef products were found to contain up to 100 per cent horse meat.

But the other is that it sells a surprisingly small range of goods, making it easier to rely on a small number of suppliers that can use their scale to cut costs on the few things they do make. Aldi has expanded from 800 products to 1,350 recently, in an attempt to attract more people doing a full weekly shop, but this is still considerably fewer than the 30,000 lines at the main chains. Stevens, at Verdict, says: “I think some shoppers find less choice rather liberating.”

Aldi has just 3.8 per cent of the grocery market – which is less than Waitrose on 4.9 per cent, let alone Tesco on 30.1 per cent. But it is the fastest-growing chain in Britain and Kantar believe it could eventually reach 10 per cent.

Its challenge will be to hold on to its middle‑class shoppers when the economy starts to motor once again. “They’ve done very well so far,” says Stevens. “I don’t see why they can’t continue to do so.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...n-Britain.html

Thread Information