Thread: How many blocks

How many blocks

You have £6000 what can you get built for that amount, not looking for anything grand but also not looking for a garden shed either,

There are some great stories about. You can build this size for this much also that will not get you much at all,

If you are a savy person who can get the best deals for the best material is it doable or am i blowing in the wind?

Just a thought

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    For that amount you can have a decent Bamboo house built, providing you get mountain people to build it, when I was with my ex we had one built by her brother at Davin and I was very impressed, it was very nice and really strong!

Sounds wonderful Michael

Approx. a five year life span for nippa hut so I'm told here.

Commercial hollow blocks 7.5 peso each for 4 inch, but commercial blocks are Class C, and have a tendency to crumble in your hands.

Hey!!!!
    Ive lived in my nipa hut for 7 years!!
    Still as good as new..I say the nipa roof will last another 5 years at least.

Banned
    i doubt if its mortgagable

Banned
    You will probably get it on a 'rent to buy' instead ....making the last payment just before it turns to dust

I remember visiting my wife's place in Dasma Town...by the look of them, you'd of thought the houses in that sub division was 'built' a 100 plus years ago........They weren't..It was more like 12 years ago

As Stewart pointed out...the materials used on these big developments leave a lot to be desired

Could never live in a nippa hut, too many strange bugs getting in for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Hey!!!!
    If maintained properly as we maintain our garden fences in UK with 5 year Cuprinol A Nippa will last many years if re-roofed every few years at a very low cost. Nothing wrong with a Nippa house, also bugs are less of a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Hey!!!!
    Glad to hear that Fred, the locals here tell me only about 5 years, maybe it depends on how its treated

Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post
    could never live in a nippa hut ,too many strange bugs getting in for my liking.
    I've found some strange creatures here too, but that's enough about the women.

Seriously though, I'm behind hollow block walls and a tin roof,

I get eaten with ants, black ones - at least in the house its black ants - but it's a race to beat them to the food, though they are good at cleaning up the scraps that drop on the floor.

I get bitten to death with tiny mosquito's.
    There was a massive bug in the toilet last week, scared me to death.

Pulled my pants up real quick, just in case it was a fast mover and jumped me

2 days ago a small snake. At first I thought it was a large earth worm. I'm told it was a young poisonous snake, glad I didn't pick it up!

These all in the house.

outside a prickly looking catterpiller. Apparently if it gets on your skin you get very itchy.

lol I am paranoid when it comes to bugs, never seen so many different kinds of critters in ma life. I have every crevice in my house sealed and every window covered with fine mesh and still some get in. I go through a large tin of spray a week. In the middle of the night I sometimes feel something crawlin' on me and I freak out lol.

Right, back on topic, well 6000 equals around 445,000 pesos. Well my house cost with the land 700,000 and my house is 50 square meters, so you would be able to build a whole house with 6 k I should think, but very basic.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post
    lol I am paranoid when it comes to bugs, never seen so many different kinds of critters in ma life. I have every crevice in my house sealed and every window covered with fine mesh and still some get in. I go through a large tin of spray a week. In the middle of the night I sometimes feel something crawlin on me and I freak out lol.

Right, back on topic, well 6000 equals around 445,000 pesos. Well my house cost with the land 700,000 and my house is 50 square meters, so you would be able to build a whole house with 6 k I should think, but very basic.
    Our lizards eat all the bugs!!
    Glad to hear that Fred, the locals here tell me only about 5 years, maybe it depends on how its treated
    All our timber was treated years ago with well used engine oil... The bugs choke and die if they try to eat through it. Our roof trusses are all made from bamboo.. As long as it stays dry,its as good as the day its installed in our experience..
    I can say with confidence that our nipa house will last for as long as we maintain the roof.. The day water gets in on a regular basis is the day things will go pear shaped..
    Roof maintenance is the key..Ours is double leafed nipa so every 10 years replacement... Cheap as chips!!

The cute little Ghecko's, save the day!

Our ghecko's don't seem to be eating my ants

I got black ants about half inch long and boy do they bite. And then there are the tiny ones that appear from nowhere if you spill any food either on your table or floor. They are so small it,s hard to see them with the naked eye.

Banned
    You dont need to drop food either to attract the blighters

One night I remember putting an open bar of chocolate in a drawer in an upstairs bedroom. The following morning that cupboard was teaming with ants

Red ants in the garden, and man do they bite, glad it isn't them in the house,

If they move in then I'm moving out

Banned
    The wife fell asleep in bed with a part consumed bag of piattos. It was me who was me who woke up with my chest and face covered in ants............I was breathing them in through my nose!!!

My wife eats on the bed. You can guess on whose side she drops the crumbs. Needless to say it's me who suffers

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    My wife eats on the bed. You can guess on whose side she drops the crumbs. Needless to say it's me who suffers
    Time for some rules (methinks), Apart from three or four ladybirds and butterflies a few nice bees and one fly, haven't seen any insects since we left Philippines almost two years ago!

Thread Information