Thread: Ilocos trip

Ilocos trip

Last week we had a little family adventure from Southern Tagalog to Ilocos for a few days. We originally thought the journey would take us 12hrs, however we left home at 5am and were in Vigan by 2.30pm
    Nobody told me that the MMDA now have speed radar guns I was caught 'over speeding' on Mindanao avenue at 6am on a Sunday morning

Here are a couple of picture of our first day. It rained non stop for 5 days whilst we were there, so excuse the quality of the pics.

The first night we spent at the Vigan Plaza Hotel. Thanks Peter (Terpe) for the recommendation

The hotel is not brand new, however it does feel like you are back in the old Spanish colonial times. It also has the added bonus of being in Calle Crisologo which is the main tourist area of the city.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The main street Calle Crisologo in Vigan City

[IMG][/IMG]

Bantay Bell Tower which was built in 1591. Not often you get to see something that old in the Philippines!

[IMG][/IMG]

Trusted Member
    Excellent. An area I'm not familiar with.

Keep them coming.

(Unfortunately) Neighbours with the footballers and their wags.
    Hello Jake, thanks for posting this! I utterly love Ilocos, I have been there many times mostly in Ilocos Norte specifically Paoay, San Nicolas, Laoag, Vintar and the famous Pagudpud! I have not tried driving there yet, did you take the SCTEX? I also loved Vigan, Calle Crisologo although it is just really a street of old Spanish houses, I must say that the cafes and restaurants there are sufficient to it's tourists. Did you try the famous 'empanada'?? Oh I miss Pilipinas!!!!
    This wife.. has an amazing husband.

Very nice, its great seeing others pictures and it may help you plan your own visit there

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Last week we had a little family adventure from Southern Tagalog to Ilocos for a few days. We originally thought the journey would take us 12hrs, however we left home at 5am and were in Vigan by 2.30pm
    Nobody told me that the MMDA now have speed radar guns I was caught 'over speeding' on Mindanao avenue at 6am on a Sunday morning

Here are a couple of picture of our first day. It rained non stop for 5 days whilst we were there, so excuse the quality of the pics.

The first night we spent at the Vigan Plaza Hotel. Thanks Peter (Terpe) for the recommendation

The hotel is not brand new, however it does feel like you are back in the old Spanish colonial times. It also has the added bonus of being in Calle Crisologo which is the main tourist area of the city.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The main street Calle Crisologo in Vigan City

[IMG][/IMG]

Bantay Bell Tower which was built in 1591. Not often you get to see something that old in the Philippines!

[IMG][/IMG]
    Pity it was while you ones were there, Jake ... but nice photos all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Excellent. An area I'm not familiar with.

Keep them coming.
    Cheers Graham

The furthest north i had been before was San Fernando in La Union and that was over 20 years ago. We found the locals very friendly and hospitable compared to other parts of the Philippines and i would recommend you head up there next time you are over here to see Mercedes. Also get yourself down south to our place.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinaDiver View Post
    Hello Jake, thanks for posting this! I utterly love Ilocos, I have been there many times mostly in Ilocos Norte specifically Paoay, San Nicolas, Laoag, Vintar and the famous Pagudpud! I have not tried driving there yet, did you take the SCTEX? I also loved Vigan, Calle Crisologo although it is just really a street of old Spanish houses, I must say that the cafes and restaurants there are sufficient to it's tourists. Did you try the famous 'empanada'?? Oh I miss Pilipinas!!!!
    We visited them all! Tried the Empanada, however i wouldn't recommend eating it every day, as it not the healthiest of foods
    We took the SCTEX and the newly opened TPLEX all the way to Rosario. It will make a big difference to traveling times up North.

On the second day we woke up to find out that a tropical storm had made landfall in Ilocos Anyway we headed up towards Laoag and stopped at a few of the famous landmarks on the way.

One place I would definitely recommend visiting between Vigan and Laoag is the former holiday home of the Marcos family. Due to bad weather and it no longer being the school holidays, we had the whole place to ourselves

Malacanang Of The North

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

For you Graham I think you would have to sleep sideways!

Ferdinand and Imelda's bedroom.

[IMG][/IMG]

Bongbong Marcos for president 2016!

[IMG][/IMG]

So glad to learn just how much you enjoyed you adventure up North Jake.

Some very interesting photo memories there too.
    It's a pity that the weather didn't cheer up for you.
    Outside of Mindanao, Ilocos is a real favourite of ours.

I know just what you mean about those empanada........some of them are just so moreish

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Cheers Graham

The furthest north i had been before was San Fernando in La Union and that was over 20 years ago. We found the locals very friendly and hospitable compared to other parts of the Philippines and i would recommend you head up there next time you are over here to see Mercedes. Also get yourself down south to our place.
    Good idea Jake...will have to try to include it in one of our Victory Liner 'away days'.

Anyway...fascinating pictures, and now we know where all the hardwood forests went. A lot of floor polishing to do in those old houses.

Thread Information