Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie and need advice

Newbie and need advice

Hi everyone! I'm Honey and I'm planning to book my English test very soon for Spouse Visa. I heard that the TOEIC certificate is no longer accepted by UKVI. I'm not confident with my English and I know I can't pass the IELTS.

Aside from IELTS what are the other English test provider that gives easy test and good score? LOL.

Any suggestion please ? Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by honey View Post
    Hii everyone! I'm Honey and I'm planning to book my English test very soon for Spouse Visa. I heard that the TOEIC certificate is no longer accepted in UKVI. I'm not confident with my English and I know I can't pass the IELTS.

Aside from IELTS what are the other English test provider that gives easy test and good score? LOL.

Any suggestion please ? Thank you!
    Hello honey, don't underestimate your English skills...

If I am to judge your English skill thru your post here, I would really say that you are going to pass the IELTS for spousal visa requirement. You are only required to get the minimum score of 4 in both speaking and listening for spousal visa application. I'm quite sure that you will get higher than that basing on how you constructed your post here.

I don't know any other acceptable English test there in the Phil apart from IELTS.

Trusted Member
    Some perfectly good written English there.

Just remember to put an 's' on the end of those plurals.

Click on the link here to see the latest UKVI approved list of English Language Tests that meet the Home Office’s requirements from 1 July 2014

You'll see all the test details with links to the various providers websites and to the test centre locations.

Do be aware that currently, although the entry level is A1, the level needed for ILR (settlement) is B1.
    If you can stretch and reach for level B1 it will be a good advantage later down your immigration journey.

Hi, Honey ... to our friendly and informative online filipino/uk community.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Welcome to our very informative Forum Honey, please persevere with IELTS, it's not that bad, good luck!

Respected Member
    Hi Honey, try to register IELTS under British Council Philippines. I already registered and they have free road test which is helpful for us and loads of sample tests.

Me too Honey, sometimes I think I can't pass the test because I'm not really confident with my English skills but my husband is trying to cheer me up that I can do it.

Respected Member
    By the way choose IELTS general training - not the academic

Hi everyone! I'm Honey and I'm planning to book my English test very soon for Spouse Visa. I heard that the TOEIC certificate is no longer accepted by UKVI. I'm not confident with my English and I know I can't pass the IELTS.

Any suggestion please? Thank you!
    Hi there Honey! You can go to the IDP at Keppel building near Ayala, they do reviews as well, just so you will have an idea what the test is like. I did the review days before I went to take the actual test and the review cost me Php 2,000 plus if remember rightly.

You will be taking the General test so that should be okidoki. They only need 4.0 for band score.

Ohh I'm sorry, I am from Cebu - so I took it there.

Wow thank you all for the quick replies

I might register to ESOL KET
    Level A1 And:

Listening – Weak
    Speaking – Weak
    Reading – Weak
    Writing – Weak

Anyone here have tried KET, is it easier and cheaper than IELTS?

Thank You!!

Technically any test at A1 level will be easier than IELTS as the minimum passing grade of IELTS is at the higher B1 level

Thank you Terpe! Anyone knows how much is a KET test? Please

So I decided to do my English test with IELTS as KET ESOL latest exam date is on October 11. I don't wanna wait for 3 months. Can anyone tell me what are the expectations and sample of IELTS exam please?

Help please???

Respected Member cherrieclifford's Avatar
    Hi honey,

For sure you can find sample exercises online. Just type "IELTS sample exercises" on your search engine. Good luck

Thank you Cherrie.. did you take your English test at IELTS? Is it really hard?

Respected Member cherrieclifford's Avatar
    I took TOEIC which is unfortunately not acceptable anymore. So I need to take another English test before my next visa application. I have no idea really about IELTS but if they can pass it, then u can. Just familiarize yourself with the exam and practice and practice. I think your English is good enough to be able to pass the exam.

Hello Honey! Good thing about IELTS is that test dates are available once or twice in a month. Have you chosen a date when to take it?

As for me, I took the test twice and passed both with flying colors. It wasn't really that bad. I understand it can make you nervous, just try to focus yourself that passing IELTS is one step closer to your partner. You can search review materials online.

Are u located in Cebu?

Respected Member
    Try to register IELTS British Council because they conduct test in Cebu. I already registered and they send a toptips in IELTS published by Cambridge University. They have loads of samples tests which I did and I'm happy with my result and hopefully By Sept. I will pass all the tests...Try You tube too

Another tip for passing the IELTS. Listen, speak, read and write English everyday. Watching English films helps a lot and at the same time you are having fun. I also keep myself updated with current events in CNN, BBC and Fox news.. I also borrowed time magazine in the library..

Luddendenfoot, near Todmorden and Slaithwaite
    There are plenty of online resources which will help you prepare for the test. Be prepared and get yourself familiar with the different styles of tasks (IELTS use a variety). Googling it does the trick. Also, Anne is right ---listen, read, write, and speak the language on a regular basis. Though, you just need Speaking and listening results, you would still need to complete the other two components. There are agents (review centres) who offer you a free mock test if you opt to register with the BC through them. I am sure you will do well.

The good thing about taking IELTS is, if you reach 4.0 for both listening and speaking, you will be able to use that same certificate to apply for ILR (provided immigration laws do not change) as 4.0 is already B1. Hence, saving money time and effort in the future.

Good luck.
    UKBA,UKBA I am dreading to hear from you...
    UKBA, a BRP for Christmas will do...

Better to take IELTS as the Cambridge CIE will be removed in the UKVI approved list of English Tests soon.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Good Luck to all who are taking IELTS, I'm sure you'll all pass!

Quote Originally Posted by Anne2014 View Post
    Hello Honey! Good thing about IELTS is that test dates are available once or twice in a month. Have you chosen a date when to take it?

As for me, I took the test twice and passed both with flying colors. It wasn't really that bad. I understand it can make you nervous, just try to focus yourself that passing IELTS is one step closer to your partner. You can search review materials online.

Are u located in Cebu?

Hello and thanks for the advice. I haven't registered yet. I am from Manila. Did you use review centre?

Quote Originally Posted by rani View Post
    Better to take IELTS as the Cambridge CIE will be removed in the UKVI approved list of English Tests soon.
    Is this true? To be honest, Cambridge KET is my second option in case I didn't pass the IELTS

Luddendenfoot, near Todmorden and Slaithwaite
    A back-up plan is always good. But, to be honest I do not think you need one because, judging from your posts, you write good English . I found the listening exercises a bit frustrating at first, if you feel the same, just persevere and listen, listen listen. Also, it is good to listen to a variety of accents (my exam involved Australian and English). Good luck.
    UKBA,UKBA I am dreading to hear from you...
    UKBA, a BRP for Christmas will do...

Quote Originally Posted by jlags90 View Post
    A back-up plan is always good. But, to be honest I do not think you need one because, judging from your posts, you write good English . I found the listening exercises a bit frustrating at first, if you feel the same, just persevere and listen, listen listen. Also, it is good to listen to a variety of accents (my exam involved Australian and English). Good luck.
    Thank you jlags
    Maybe my writing is good. But its the speaking and listening I am worried about, esp in listening.

Hello and thanks for the advice. I haven't registered yet. I am from Manila. Did you use review centre?
    Yes I did enroll in a review centre (Sorry to say, I wasn't really happy with the centre or shall I say with the instructor. It wasn't worth it). You can actually search for review materials online.

Bottom line, it really depends whether you're comfortable with a classroom set up or self study.

Was too late in finding out that there's free access to review materials and mock tests if you register in British Council here in Cebu. I've heard that IDP in some parts of the Philippines is also offering the same thing too.

And if you're gonna ask me which IELTS provider (British Council or IDP) is better, I can say that both are equally the same.

Respected Member
    http://www.britishcouncil.ph/

thats the link if you wwnt to register...
    all you want to know is there or visit them at pasig

10th floor taipan place, f, ortigas jr road pasig city...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information