When we left the UK to relocate we actually did that a full year ahead of the original grand plan.

We did it solely because we both felt that the timing was right. We didn't do it because we felt unhappy or fed up with UK life and thought that moving out here would change us into happy people.

Personally, I believe that if you're an unhappy person looking for happiness in the Philippines then you're most likely in for a short sharp shock and an ending filled with disillusionment. This, despite the fact that your UK pound will actually stretch a long long way. Even at today's awful RoE.

Don't come all the way to the Philippines if you harbour any source of discontentment within yourself. You'll just be bring the same old baggage. There's really no special ingredient here for a happiness recipe.

I need to temper my enthusiasm, but really, I feel like I'm living a life in paradise. I find enjoyment in everything, the culture, the food and the wonderful people I meet. It certainly doesn't mean everything is perfect, I doubt everything ever will be. It doesn't mean that all our decisions have been right. We're still open minded about where we want to finally settle down. But the simple pleasures of our daily life are always there.

As a retiree my daily life is rather unscheduled and closer, in reality, to being on holiday. Life for me here is not at all a typical one that my friends, family and neighbours experience. Generally their lives are based centered around making a living and I'm so grateful for the time they freely give to help and guide us in our life here. My life is really opposite to theirs in that it's largely centered around experiencing those simple things that thrill my soul whenever the desire drives me.

It's certainly the case that financials impact everyone's experience. As I said, for us it is much cheaper to live here than in UK but it does depend entirely on the kind of lifestyle you plan on having. Yes, we feel our overall lifestyle and quality of life has improved hugely. But it's different. To a large extent, a successful move depends on how you bridge the gap between how you thought it would be and how it actually is, together with a positive and flexible outlook

Retirement in the Philippines can be great if it's done for the right reasons and with a positive outlook to enjoy and find happiness. Accept the Philippines for what it can offer.

Don't expect to just transfer the life you have now to the Philippines. I doubt very much you'll find a way to do that.

Don't make your retirement here based solely on back of financials. Research, research and research again on what makes you happy. If it's not available here don't come.

Just my rambling and experience sharing.

I'm getting a bit nervous now about by upcoming application to immigration for Permanent Residence. If something went wrong I'd be devastated. Fingers crossed!