Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
Within the past year, research was published suggesting that 2/3 adult cancers were down to " bad luck " rather than genes. Now there’s a new study suggesting at least 2/3 are in fact due to environmental factors such as smoking. Both are from USA, each is in a " respectable " journal - and widely reported in the media.

No wonder the public are confused, and perhaps justifiably cynical .

We know that the many different types of cancer result from " stem cells " dividing out of control ( rather than " mature " cells becoming immature ). The argument has been about intrinsic factors - risk of mutations every time a cell divides - versus extrinsic factors, like smoking, alcohol excess, diet, sun exposure.

The two factors ARE related. Mutations every time cells divide are more likely to result in cancer if there are also external influences, like cancer-forming substances from smoking.

A " sense of proportion " is still needed ! All these apparently conflicting studies suggest is that a greater number of cancers than previously thought may be down to " lifestyle factors ". They may therefore be preventable. There’s still an element of luck - we all know of smokers who have lived to 100.

None of this affects my specialty of cancer diagnosis and treatment. I never judge lifestyle - whether by choice or necessity. But this latest study should - in my opinion - at least make people think about how they might improve their chances of a healthy and happy future in the New Year .
ANOTHER excellent post, Alan ... and may I CONGRATULATE you on attaining your third Silver Star!