Thread: British citizenship

British citizenship

Hi everyone. I just wanna ask when should i apply my citizenship. I arrived here in UK on 29th June 2012. I have my Indefinite leave to remain. How much it would be. My friend said it goes up to £1,700 this coming 2nd of November. Thank you☺️

Quote Originally Posted by John_10 View Post
    Hi everyone. I just wanna ask when should i apply my citizenship. I arrived here in UK on 29th June 2012. I have my Indefinite leave to remain. How much it would be. My friend said it goes up to £1,700 this coming 2nd of November. Thank you☺️
    As a spouse, If you have ILR and have lived in the UK for at least the 3 years then you can apply anytime from as early as now.
    The 3 years includes time in the UK as a fiancé

I'm not sure if the fee is increasing in November. Has that been announced anywhere?

Currently it stands at £1005 which includes £80 ceremony fee.
    Last edited by Terpe; 15th October 2015 at 15:35. Reason: Error

Thanks for the reply Terpe much appreciated.

I haven't seen anywhere but my friend who's applying for citizenship said in November 2nd this year it will go up to £1,705.

Post Edited by Arthur Little. Reason: £1,7005 to £1,705

I haven't seen anywhere but my friend who's applying for citizenship said in November 2nd this year it will go up to £1,7005.
    I've seen no updates from the Home Office. But that means little these days.
    Usually the fees are uplifted in April
    Personally I'd be shocked if it would be increased to that level so soon after the April 2015 increase.

Since you're eligible you can apply as soon as you gave the budget. If you can submit before November so much the better.

Unfortunately Terpe I can't apply because as I read here on the forum it takes up to 6 months process. We already booked going back home to Philippines next year on May. So I will be concerned I would not get my passport back in time for travel.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Unfortunately Terpe I can't apply because as I read here on the forum it takes up to 6 months process. We already booked going back home to Philippines next year on May. So I will be concerned I would not get my passport back in time for travel.
    Continue with your application and use the Checking Service, that way you will keep your original documents!

Thanks for the reply Michael. What you mean checking service? Is that a post office.

I haven't seen anywhere but my friend who's applying for citizenship said in November 2nd this year it will go up to £1,705.
    John ... I'm not aware of any imminent increase myself, ... but I've edited the amount you'd inavertently typed in #4 by deleting one of the "zeros" in the figure ... just in case the [original] sum you mentioned gave prospective applicants a heart attack!
    Last edited by Arthur Little; 17th October 2015 at 22:48.

Sorry about the figure.

Sorry about the figure.
    Ah, no worries ... it's so easily done, John.

Thanks for the reply Michael. What you mean checking service? Is that a post office.
    Check what local post office does a Checking Service for the Home Office, you will find it on Internet, good luck!

Hi John,

Just a quick correction.
    It's not The Post Office doing the Nationality Checking Service it's your Local Authority.

Take a look here at The Nationality checking service webpage for an overview:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...ecking-service

You can see the official listing of local authorities in England that offer a checking service for UK nationality applications here:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...cking-services

You need to pay a small fee but to be honest it's money very well spent.

Good luck
    If you have the budget you can apply and enjoy your planned Philippine holiday

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Hi John,

Just a quick correction.
    It's not The Post Office doing the Nationality Checking Service it's your Local Authority.

Take a look here at The Nationality checking service webpage for an overview:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...ecking-service

You can see the official listing of local authorities in England that offer a checking service for UK nationality applications here:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...cking-services

You need to pay a small fee but to be honest it's money very well spent.

Good luck
    If you have the budget you can apply and enjoy your planned Philippine holiday
    Whoops sorry about that, got mixed up with BRP!

Usually the fees go up in April so I can't imagine them putting prices up mid year.The government would have issued a statement if that was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie bobby View Post
    Usually *the fees go up in April so I can't imagine them putting prices up mid year.The government would have issued a statement if that was the case.
    Yes, ... *that has normally been the pattern up until now, so John's partner should be okay.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Contacted our local authority Lancashire County Council and found the place not far where we live the fee is £50. So we contacted them for further information. Cheers everyone☺️

Thanks everyone for the advice. Contacted our local authority Lancashire County Council and found the place not far where we live the fee is £50. So we contacted them for further information. Cheers everyone☺️
    You'll find it's money well spent and will put your minds much more at ease.

hi,

I am a spouse visa holder when I came to UK in 2014.
    I have been wondering whether there are things that we needed or need to do or documents to obtain for future visa renewal or British citizenship.

I have just recently heard about BRP id. I don't know what this is and if what i have been reading is correct, this BRP has just started in Aug 2015? Maybe this is why I was not required to have it when I entered the UK. But do I need this now?

Also, in terms of moving to a new address, do I need to inform the home office?
    Regarding our wedding held in the Phils, do we have to lodge/report/register our marriage here in UK or Phils embassy?

Quote Originally Posted by DAnn View Post
    hi,

I am a spouse visa holder when I came to UK in 2014.
    I have been wondering whether there are things that we needed or need to do or documents to obtain for future visa renewal or British citizenship.

I have just recently heard about BRP id. I don't know what this is and if what i have been reading is correct, this BRP has just started in Aug 2015? Maybe this is why I was not required to have it when I entered the UK. But do I need this now?

Also, in terms of moving to a new address, do I need to inform the home office?
    Regarding our wedding held in the Phils, do we have to lodge/report/register our marriage here in UK or Phils embassy?
    I take it you are on a 5 year settlement route.
    Means your initial visa was valid for 33 months right?

Shortly before (28 days) your 30 months living in UK you'll need to apply for a 2nd FLR
    I'd strongly suggest you review that form asap as there's a significant amount of evidence required similar to the visa you applied for as UK Entry Clearance.
    The FLR application includes the application for BRP

After the 30 month second period of FLR you'll be eligible for application to ILR
    Once you hold ILR you'll be eligible to apply for British Citizenship.

I'd advise you to keep updated on the UKVI website as there are always changes to immigration rules and your current status depends on understanding them.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I take it you are on a 5 year settlement route.
    Means your initial visa was valid for 33 months right?

Shortly before (28 days) your 30 months living in UK you'll need to apply for a 2nd FLR
    I'd strongly suggest you review that form asap as there's a significant amount of evidence required similar to the visa you applied for as UK Entry Clearance.
    The FLR application includes the application for BRP

After the 30 month second period of FLR you'll be eligible for application to ILR
    Once you hold ILR you'll be eligible to apply for British Citizenship.

I'd advise you to keep updated on the UKVI website as there are always changes to immigration rules and your current status depends on understanding them.
    Hi Terpe

Yes I have a visa that is valid for 33 months, that's right. Thank you for letting me know about the 2nd FLR application on my 30th month. We have taken note and saving money for it! Appreciate this very much! We are confident that we will be able to supply the required evidence.

We are changing address soon. Wondering if I am required to notify the home office about change of address?

Quote Originally Posted by DAnn View Post
    We are changing address soon. Wondering if I am required to notify the home office about change of address?
    Yes, technically best you should inform them.

Thread Information