Thread: Need Advise Re: Travelling to Philippines and Report of Marriage

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Need Advise Re: Travelling to Philippines and Report of Marriage

Hi everyone! I've been married here last year and did not know that I have to file a 'Report of Marriage' to the Philippine Embassy not until recently. My husband and I are travelling to Philippines this Christmas and just wondered if filing a 'Report of Marriage' is needed before we can travel or would that be any issues with the Philippine Immigration when we arrive there? Or can we can submit it later when we return? Any concern about this, please advise me. Thanks so much in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by ALBryant View Post
    Hi everyone! I've been married here last year and did not know that I have to file a 'Report of Marriage' to the Philippine Embassy not until recently. My husband and I are travelling to Philippines this Christmas and just wondered if filing a 'Report of Marriage' is needed before we can travel or would that be any issues with the Philippine Immigration when we arrive there? Or can we can submit it later when we return? Any concern about this, please advise me. Thanks so much in advance.
    Hi ALBryant, welcome here

You don't need to submit Report of Marriage in order to travel to Philippines. Just do it when you're ready.
    I'm not sure what the time limits laid are out by the Philippine Embassy these days, but they may well apply a late notification penalty of some small amount. No need to be over concerned.

Don't forget to take your marriage certificate with you. Upon arrival approach the immigration officer together and request a BB stamp for 1 year when you present the passports and marriage cert. Then smile.

Have a great trip

Thanks a lot Terpe for the quick response. The additional information you have given me Re: BB stamp is much appreciated as I don't know about this either.
    We will just stay there for 3 weeks in Philippines. Quick question: My husband need only his passport to enter and nothing else? Cheers!

Trusted Member
    Yes, passport only for him... and return plane ticket.

He (if British) will be permitted to stay in Phils for up to 30 days without needing visa or Balikbayan stamp.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Surely if Passports have the same name (which they should if you're Married) you shouldn't have to have any other proof!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Surely if Passports have the same name (which they should if you're Married) you shouldn't have to have any other proof!
    NOT ALL wives' passports bear the same surname as their husband's though, Michael ... especially if the wife's happened to be issued in advance of the wedding.

Which, I should imagine, is the reason Peter reminded the OP's wife to take the Marriage Certificate in order to cover such a contingency.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Yes, passport only for him... and return plane ticket.

He (if British) will be permitted to stay in Phils for up to 30 days without needing visa or Balikbayan stamp.
    Cheers Grahamw48

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Cheers Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    NOT ALL wives' passports bear the same surname as their husband's though, Michael ... especially if the wife's happened to be issued in advance of the wedding.

Which, I should imagine, is the reason Peter reminded the OP's wife to take the Marriage Certificate in order to cover such a contingency.
    Cheers Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post

That's right Arthur.
    The marriage certificate is not always asked for but if the immigration officer asks for it and you don't have it then it's an unknown outcome.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    From the time you get Married under normal circumstances you never ever look at it again surely

Trusted Member
    Just because you are together and have the same surname doesn't prove that you're married.

So yes, always take a copy of your marriage cert... whether you're asked for it or not.

Thread Information