Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exchange rate

london well away from those people up norf
    Quote Originally Posted by eula mackay View Post
    wow, the peso getting stronger and stronger. im sure arroyo will have a happy christmas. atleast someone will! lol.

The countries main export ie people will struggle to earn enough to make it worthwhile working abroad. I hope they have the exports to keep the ecomony on the way up That will be Arroyos big task next year.

Export more people.....special offer.....2 for 1
    Keith - Administrator

London, Birmingham & I m also out of the country a lot.
    I think the peso was once at 8 to the dollar and people think 38 might be feasible soon. So looks like it ll be getting more expensive yet !

pnb now give 79.5 php to the £

well the time has come, i'll be sending less money back to the phils now and i know who my wifes family will be blaming,, they have to put up with higher prices and now less money

i read this on another forum "the OFWs are working elbows and knees to the ground to support their families back home . . but what's happening now . .their income could hardly support their families . OFWs are heroes???? now i believe this . . . for heroes are always bound to be gunned down!!!!"

Im told the Dollar is likely to rise next year as its seen to be good vaule and assets are undervalued and lots of other talk that meant nothing to me. So things may all change yet again, but i doubt that much .

Would be a good question to ask the ofws at what point would they pack their bags and head off home? If the ratios kept heading in the way they are.

damn with the Peso getting stronger it is costing me more and more :( and all i get is calls / txt asking for more!

Quote Originally Posted by andypaul View Post

Would be a good question to ask the ofws at what point would they pack their bags and head off home? If the ratios kept heading in the way they are.
    And what will they do when they get here?
    IMO it will only emphasize to them the reasons they left in the first place..
    No.They will struggle on and continue to send dwindling amounts..Its in their nature.
    Personally I think a big reason that the $$ are rolling in and on the increase is because of online dating.The women here are one hell of a $ resource.

The $ has not finished tanking IMO and by a long shot..Same goes for the £..
    A good old fashioned coup de etat is the kind of thing the $ @ £ needs here but with GMA at the helm,this is very unlikely.

Banned
    Yeah send in the Marines!

How low is the peso gonna go jessus!, when i first met my wife it was 105peso to the pound.

Guys just out of interest what is the highest and lowest you have seen it

SD

i'm sure when i first chatted to the misses back in err, 1999 i tihink it was a lot lower than the 79.50, i'm sure it was around 64php to the £ , i would have to check thou, yes highest is around 105-107 i ever got ..

yes i'm near 100% sure it was in the mid 60's, i hope its not going to fall that low,

whatever it is today and 115 back in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    And what will they do when they get here?
    IMO it will only emphasize to them the reasons they left in the first place..
    No.They will struggle on and continue to send dwindling amounts..Its in their nature.
    Personally I think a big reason that the $$ are rolling in and on the increase is because of online dating.The women here are one hell of a $ resource.

The $ has not finished tanking IMO and by a long shot..Same goes for the £..
    A good old fashioned coup de etat is the kind of thing the $ @ £ needs here but with GMA at the helm,this is very unlikely.
    I agree its the losin face thing i have seen plenty of people from around the world live either in povety or at least save every penny they can so they can send back as much as they can and spend as much as they can when they go back for a holiday.
    But if the amount they pay on there loan or mortage is so great that they can't send enough money to send it home. For some there will be no point to being here in the uk i would ave thought?

The wife has met quite a few ofws in our local area who have it sounds to me as huge 100 percent mortages i wouldn't be surprised if higher % plus maxed out credit cards, loans etc,if their pay does not go up enough and intrest rates stay as they are or go higher. They simply will have to let the families back in phill with nada.

Well, I'm worried now. I have a dive trip planned in November and the cost has obviously gone up 16% since November. Not only that, I have a house to do up in the Phils so my buying power is dimishing.
    I'm seriously considering borrowing £10K (at 5.5%) and sticking it in a Peso account. If the exchange rate drops another 15 points over 3 months that gives me £1230 profit minus 3 months interest if I change it back to Sterling. In all probability we'll just keep it in an account to pay for the house repairs so it doesn't lose value.
    I certainly think I need to pay for my dive trip sooner rather than later.

Guys just out of interest what is the highest and lowest you have seen it
    Joe put the info up before going back to the 1950`s..If we ask him nicely he might even do it again..
    I first changed cash at 15 to £1.00 I think..
    USD was about 8.00 PHP.

well its good to see the £ to php has stopped dropping for the last couple of days and has gone up to 80.2 php to the £

come'on back to 90+ please

The pound is buggered, with the euro getting stronger i think we might see it slowly take over.

Respected Member katie37pinayuk's Avatar
    should i be happy with the current £ to Php exchange rate? as an ofw, it makes me gloomy as the weather, but as a filipino, it should cheer me up as Php is getting stronger. however, is the Philippine economy has truly improved ???....asks an ofw here...and moaning

The problem is a strong currency doesnt mean a good economy for the person in the street always. If the ofws cant remit and the export industries cant compete so close or lose staff

why would any british or european company or infact any other country buy anything for the phils when it cost more than 10% more in the last 6 months , its going to cost jobs in the phils..

oh its 80 php to the £

Devon - no - Oxford - no - Stalybridge - no - errr - UK

Smile

Went in PNB Dumaguete last Friday and they were offering - get this - 73.49p to the £!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As Joe said a few mins ago - just noticed on Foreign Exchange it is now at 80.513p.

Still losing bucket loads of money though.

Al.

AL, on pnb europe, its not fallen below 79 php to the £ at all for many years, unless i've missed it...

yes not good days for us, or filipino's back home. just as the strong £ against the $ cost jobs here, it will do the same in the phils..

I was going to say the rich and the powerful in phill would like it but most properly have dollar accounts anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information