Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving home

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    Leicester is your best place
    There are a few places in Leicester but I think Birmingham is better. There is a Loon Fung (I think that is the name) Cash & carry near the Star City entertainment complex just off the M6.

Used to a pretty big place named Wing Yip in Brum.
    Huge range of Filipino foods.
    They have a few branches around. One on the Edgeware rod just atbthe end of the M1

Wing Yip is still here located in Aston/Nechells. I pass it every day.

Take the Aston Expressway at J6 going into the city. Stay in left hand lane. First exit is half a mile away. Scoot up the slip road and turn left at the roundabout. Go straight across the next roundabout. The roundabout after that, take the third exit and go up the hill. At the next roundabout Wing Yip is on the left. Can't miss it.

Respected Member
    I think I meant Wing Yip. Loon Fung is in London.

Google is your friend....

I think I must have murdered somebody in a past life!

Had the valuer for my buyer come last week, he values my property at £10,000 less then the asking price. Part of the reason was it only has 79 years left on the lease. This has never been hidden from anyone and the information was there from the outset. So I was given two options as he couldn't get the money from his lender otherwise.
    Option 1, put the property back on the market. However that would mean I would lose the property I am buying no doubt.
    Option 2, drop £10,000 from my asking price.
    Reluctantly I took option 2. The only reason was that we got the property we are buying for £10,000 less than what we had budgeted for. So just means less money in the bank at the end of it.

So this morning I emailed the housing association just to asked to kept up to speed on my buyers progress. a few hours later they emailed me back to say he has asked to be given until Monday to look into extending the lease and the costs involved.

I'm no expert but I have always thought it was the housing associations responsibility to extend the lease as they own the whole building, I just own 75% of my flat. Why would I pay for a lease extension that would benefit the whole building and all the flats within.
    I have emailed them to ask and I await their reply. But looks like I am not moving anywhere. Harlene is at work so I haven't told her yet... but I know she will be as disappointed as me.

So unless the lease can be extended at a very cheap price, which I doubt. I am stuck here forever as no bank will lend the asking price on the lease and I fear it will put potential buyers off.... Or I'm just going to get in a vicious circle of getting to this stage each time for the buyer to drop out. and I can't afford to keep paying out money for nothing. I must have spent about £1000 so far on house moving related costs!

Option 3, extend the lease yourself (if possible) and sell at the original agreed price?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Option 3, extend the lease yourself (if possible) and sell at the original agreed price?
    I am waiting to see what the housing association say regarding whose responsible for extending the lease. If I can afford it I will. But doubt I can.
    However if it means by me extending the lease it benefits every flat in the building then I do not find that fair. And if it also means every other flat has to contribute I don't think they will unless they intend to move soon. I certainly wouldn't if I wasn't moving.

Well after the lease problems...my buyer is going to extend the lease himself.

I've been ready to exchange contracts for almost a month now, but my buyers solicitor went on a sponsored silence and wouldn't answer numourous attempts from my solicitor to contact them.
    So after I managed to obtain his solicitors details from someone who said they would deny giving them to me. I then obtained the email for the person who owns the solicitors and emailed them a nice polite email this morning.

It seems to have worked as a few hours later my solicitor emailed me with an email with the subject FINALLY!!!!
    In the email she forwarded the email from my buyers solicitor, it said, can you ask your client to not email us direct again and to go through the correct channels.

Anyway, it was said they will be ready to exchange contracts by the 7th September, before my buyer goes on holiday....

We shall see!

Well sounds positive slip

Buying/Selling houses oftentimes follow such ups and downs and ins and outs, all at varying speeds.

Good luck

Respected Member
    Fingers crossed it now goes through. Very frustrating!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Hopefully we should be moving into our new house end of this month or early October at the latest, I'll be very busy then for a few months

Hope your exchange of contracts happens very soon Slip! I have been to Coalville lots of times too and I always buy my cars from there as much cheaper than in Cambridgeshire

Eventually after a very anxious couple days of waiting for the phone to ring we exchanged contracts this afternoon.

So next Friday after 14 years I leave my home and a lifetime living in this area to move to Leicestershire.

Trusted Member
    Congratulations and good luck with your move .

All the very best

Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    Eventually after a very anxious couple days of waiting for the phone to ring we exchanged contracts this afternoon.

So next Friday after 14 years I leave my home and a lifetime living in this area to move to Leicestershire.
    Don't forget to invite us to the BBQ

Don't forget to invite us to the BBQ
    As soon as we are settled in should be winter by then!

Managed to find a Removal company that can do next Friday, just hope our stuff will fit into a Luton... I think so

Managed to find a Removal company that can do next Friday, just hope our stuff will fit into a Luton... I think so
    Jusr remember big heavy things on the bottom then it should all go in , if not sell it

So pleased for you Slip, it's taken long enough peace of mind at last and hope your removal go's ok

Would be interested to know how much your removal cost Slip, because ours is £560 and that works out at £100 per mile, I think it's a little bit pricey

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Would be interested to know how much your removal cost Slip, because ours is £560 and that works out at £100 per mile, I think it's a little bit pricey
    First quotes I got was £1495 and £1520
    Then I used checatrade for more local based companies got a few quotes for around £5-700 Mark but chose the cheapest at £450 because of the good reviews and because the pictures on the website the people look trustworthy!

For the record we are moving 112 miles and our price is for two men and a Luton van vehicle to load and unload only

Most people do not realize how cheap it is to hire the van and get your friends to help you move, it's hard work but could save a fortune,.
    That's a great price you have there and some of these adverts, " a man with a van" are very good to,

As you are are always saying Michael you have no friends it would be better to pay the price you are paying

Most people do not realize how cheap it is to hire the van and get your friends to help you move, it's hard work but could save a fortune,.
    That's a great price you have there and some of these adverts, " a man with a van" are very good to,

As you are are always saying Michael you have no friends it would be better to pay the price you are paying
    With a 19 month old child I didn't want the hassle doing it myself and leave Harlene looking after her. So I don't mind paying if it means I can watch for a change

Don't mind paying as long as the job is done properly and carefully also everything fully insured, getting excited now. House inspection on Monday, looking forward to that, can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Don't mind paying as long as the job is done properly and carefully also everything fully insured, getting excited now. House inspection on Monday, looking forward to that, can't wait
    I hope you all will be happy in the house

Well done.
    Onwards and upwards...

First time I moved I did just that....hired a van got some friends and family involved.
    We started at 6 in the morning and didn't finish until 12 noon. Moved 15 miles.

Bloody hard graft.....

I said never again

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    First time I moved I did just that....hired a van got some friends and family involved.
    We started at 6 in the morning and didn't finish until 12 noon. Moved 15 miles.

Bloody hard graft.....

I said never again
    People don't realize how hard it is, I will not do it now unless I just stand there and tell others what to do, then I shall drive the vehicle

Years ago I moved my brother from Southampton back to Derby, well there was 4 of us going down there and there was another 2 waiting to help pack the lorry up down in Southampton,
    Well as the lorry cab could hold 3 that ment 1 bloke was in the back of the lorry, so I said that's unfair, two in the back two in the front ,
    Off we set and knowing how cold it would be we put loads of blankets in the back so they can keep warm.
    After setting of on the Friday night we got as far as Oxford and a cup of tea and to swap over the lads in the back for those that was nice and warm in the front.
    Well what a laugh when we opened the back of the lorry up, there was my brother who was jogging up and down on the spot trying to keep warm, my other brother said he started when we left Derby.
    I said well would you believed someone could jog on the spot and travel over 100 miles, we did have fun that weekend,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information