Thread: The good old days

The good old days

I thought i may start a new thread rather the keep adding to a other thread that has nothing to do with this new one .
    The good old days , we all have had them and maybe some ones has not started yet.
    I am 58 years young so i was born in 1958 , i cant remember much about the early years at all, and yes i have lots of pictures of me as a baby and school days and so on.
    But this thread is about when you ventured out into the world with your mates as teenagers or a little younger.
    Being the youngest my brothers always had to take me with the and the hated it , but i learnt fro them and there mates , places to go to and places you dont go too, you had your own patch and you did not wonder into the other kids patch else there was fights, nothing like today, just the two eldest or hardest fought, a few punchers and a quick roll in the mud and it was over, a shake of the hands and pats on the back and we was all friends, we even shared with the enemy some of out best stuff then.
    In our area there was a canal and a rope swing over it and what fun we use to have , a large wood to play in and climb trees and to make dens, we use to climb these trees and jump from them onto other saplings and hope they did not break but brought you down gentle , there was the odd one that did break but that was fun for the rest of us but ot for the one who was dying on the ground.
    To be continued

I was born in 1944, my twin brother and I the youngest of eight children, things were I am told very tight in 1944, and years later a sister confessed to pinching our milk bottles when she was hungry!

Overall we had plenty of good plain food, dad got rabbits (before the mix came about) he also picked and trussed chicken for many people and butchers so we had rabbit and chicken, I remember as kids my siblings fighting over whose turn it was to have the rabbits head, to eat the brains!
    Out one day my brother and I caught a young rabbit and took it home and put it in with dads, yes it had the mix! I have not had rabbit since.

We were out doors all day every day, playing along the river bank, on a rope swing that went out over the river, and of course we sometimes ended up in the tidal river!
    If we were not there then we were at a disused chalk pit, sliding down the very deep craters' on bits of tin!
    I had a very happy childhood.
    Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by mickcant View Post
    I was born in 1944, my twin brother and I the youngest of eight children, things were I am told very tight in 1944, and years later a sister confessed to pinching our milk bottles when she was hungry!

Overall we had plenty of good plain food, dad got rabbits (before the mix came about) he also picked and trussed chicken for many people and butchers so we had rabbit and chicken, I remember as kids my siblings fighting over whose turn it was to have the rabbits head, to eat the brains!
    Out one day my brother and I caught a young rabbit and took it home and put it in with dads, yes it had the mix! I have not had rabbit since.

We were out doors all day every day, playing along the river bank, on a rope swing that went out over the river, and of course we sometimes ended up in the tidal river!
    If we were not there then we were at a disused chalk pit, sliding down the very deep craters' on bits of tin!
    I had a very happy childhood.
    Mick.
    Great times Mick.
    I caught a rabbit and i took it home but once home my dad said it had mix, its eyes and its head was bigger, i did not bring any rabbits home after that.

I was born in 1958 too and remember a great childhood and remember when 90% of the people had jobs. I can't compare to the way it is today, How this country has changed since those happy days.

I had a lurcher,a hunting dog,i was out after rabbits and hares all the time,she also caught pheasant now and again and once a roe deer.I used to nick milk from doorsteps,sad eh My mam and dad seemed to be obsessed with smoking,and drinking,i have never done either we lived near a sports field with huge steel gates and we used to swing on them,one day a kid i knocked around with swung on them and a hinge snapped,the gate fell on him,killed him instantly,sunderland echo carried the story with the headlines The Gates Of Death,odd the things that stick in your head after all these years.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Nicking milk bloody hell, we did that and on Fridays we was up early before the milk man to nick the bill money left out for him,
    Did I say that out loud, SORRY.

Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    I was born in 1958 too and remember a great childhood and remember when 90% of the people had jobs. I can't compare to the way it is today, How this country has changed since those happy days.
    90% of the people had jobs, how many women were working then?....

Quote Originally Posted by Longweekend View Post
    Good point, I never thought of that

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Longweekend View Post
    Lot's

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Lot's
    More was stay at home mother's in those days I would have thought, looking after the house and children.

Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    10% unemployed

Thread Information