Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
I had never heard that formula bandied around once to be honest. It was just something I formed a conclusion on through experience, and real-world experience always trumped forum or google vicarious. My woman's got a very well paid job, in charge of a lot of people and world bank money. Never once asked me for a penny, not once. As for moneyed families, my son's Pinoy side of the family are very well known in Davao because of their business. They have a lot of investments. Once again, never once asked me for money. Like I said, works for me. Also, not all dirt poor families will ask for cash, lots are decent people, but there is more chance, and there's always someone in the family, however distant a relative, who will crawl out of the woodwork with "problems". Education is always the cure for poverty,and poverty is what motivates them to ask for money,hence my reasoning that if a family have invested heavily in education they aren't likely to ask for handouts from westerners.
The family wanting handouts is just one of many banana skins to encounter but that can be nullified like I explained earlier.

Intelligence can be used against you and it's an attribute that won't necessarily make a good partner. Don't get me wrong I'd rather have a Pinay who can speak and write good English but she doesn't need to have loads of qualifications. Appreciation, maturity, honesty, loyalty and being non-materialistic rank far higher than intelligence IMO.