Thread: is there a thread for civil partners here?

is there a thread for civil partners here?

Hi to all

New to this forum and would like to know if there are people here who are in civil partnership with a Brit. I've been in the Uk since 2003 initially as a visitor, then went back to Phils to apply for a student visa. I came back on a student visa in 2004 and have been here since then. I tied the knot (civil partnership) in 2006 and now in the process of applying for ILR.

It was a long and painful process as we have to seek approval from HO for the CP to take place. Fortunately, we were granted a certificate of approval (COA) and went on with the CP ceremony in Birmingham. It has been 2 years since and now, this ILR.

The good news is I am now eligible to apply for citizenship after I get my ILR (having been in the UK for more than 3 years). So that's what were planning to do and hopefully, I'll have my UK passport before June this year.

If there's anyone who needs some advise on how to go about applying for a CP visa or ILR as a civil partner, let me know and I will try to help. All my visa applications from visitor, to student, and finally to civil partner have all been successful and hopefully, it will culminate to an ILR visa and british citizenship.

I must say that at first, it was difficult to adjust to a new way of life. I had no plans of living here permanently when I first came over to visit my sister in 2003 (she came here as a nurse and later married a Brit). After 6 months, I realised I am more comfortable here because of their tolerance and openness to people regardless of their race, sex, religion, etc. You all know that the Phils has a long history of discrimination especially among homosexuals because of our catholic upbringing. I was closeted most of my life and had to hide my true identity from friends and family.

Here, I can be open and live a "normal" life without fear of being discriminated. Moreover, I get the respect from everyone for who I really am. Then I met my partner who further encouraged me to get out of my shell and supported me during my transition from a shy, insecure person that I was to a more confident and outspoken person that I am now.

I am now working as a human resources administrator and also doing my masters in the same field at the same time. Overall, it has been a wise move, one that you can say a success story (if ever there's such a thing).

I still miss a lot of things in the Phil.. my friends, family and food!!! But I always believe that in the end, I will come back to my roots.

I'm looking forward to reading everyone's experiences, whether good or bad, and I hope to contribute to this forum in my own small way.

Dondi

Banned
    welcome dondi...that just for today,i havent read your thread..(later) coz got to go work

Banned
    wow i did able to read your thread......niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ..im so happy for you dondi..keep up

Quote Originally Posted by dondi View Post
    Hi to all
    The good news is I am now eligible to apply for citizenship after I get my ILR (having been in the UK for more than 3 years). So that's what were planning to do and hopefully, I'll have my UK passport before June this year.
    Dondi
    Velkomin Dondi & Congratulations!!!

You all know that the Phils has a long history of discrimination especially among homosexuals because of our catholic upbringing. I was closeted most of my life and had to hide my true identity from friends and family.
    This is so true. One of my closest friends had a difficult time showing his true identity to his family. I just hope that in time some of these Filipinos would be more open minded. Anyway, I am very happy for you.

wow congratulations dondi..
    i admire you for offering help here in the forum.. and overcoming your struggle
    i really admire people like you...
    god bless

welcome to the family, dondi..

Thanks everyone for a very warm welcome. I thought for a while that I was in a wrong forum.. or am I?

Thanks everyone for a very warm welcome. I thought for a while that I was in a wrong forum.. or am I?

Welcome Dondi,

I admire you for being so open and sharing your experiences with us, it is such a wonderful story. It is inspiring.

hello dondi

thats nice to hear from you.......im also having a civilpartnership right now.abd our ceremony will be in april,do u live anywhere near peterborough..it will be nice to meet you...

seeyah

Quote Originally Posted by leahliah07 View Post
    hello dondi

thats nice to hear from you.......im also having a civilpartnership right now.abd our ceremony will be in april,do u live anywhere near peterborough..it will be nice to meet you...

seeyah
    hi there

congratulations on your upcoming CP ceremony. we had ours in birmingham.. went on a ferris whreel ride after.. it was hilarious!!

i live in the south west, near gloucester. are you pinoy? yeah, it would be nice to meet someone on the same boat

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Hello dondi,

I came across your thread while looking for information on civil partnerships. Well done for getting yours completed and good luck with the citizenship. I am an English guy looking to form a civil partnership with my Filipino shemale girlfriend. I've been trying to find information on the Internet and the Home office site, but the information appears brief and not specific to me.

I wondered if you could offer any help, because your situation sounds similar to the one we face. My partner is here on a student visa now and has about 9 months left before she tries to renew it. We don't live together at the moment but live about 60 miles apart and see each other regularly. There are a lot of things I don't understand. Do you know where I can read about it, because the home office information is confusing? For example it says she has to leave the country in six months after applying for it.

I read somewhere else that we have to live together 2 years before we can even apply is this true? Any help would be gratefully received thank you.

Darryl

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    My partner is going to the solicitors today, it is gonna cost a lot to find out information, I was hoping I could have found out the information and saved her money.

Thread Information