OK, I've talked to Mel now and tried to get details about the interview, but it was difficult to keep her focussed on more questions questions questions

Her interview was scheduled for 8am. She arrived at the Embassy at 7:30, but had to wait outside because the doors don't actually open till 8am... 7:30 was a little later than I hoped she would arrive, but she says she was delayed because the taxi driver would not drop them off near the building, so they had to walk some way. She left her ID on the 2nd Floor, got given a number, and went up to the 15th Floor. There was only one other interviewee there at that time, but Mel didn't talk to her because I'd told her to make sure she listened for her name/number being called :P

The interview started between 9 and 9:15 in room number 1, and lasted about an hour - she can't remember how long! The interviewer was female, and from what Mel says, she was a decent one. She was asked:

personal details about me
my job
my salary
does she know my family?
do I have any kids?
why did I break up with my ex-wife?
the name of my ex-wife
what do I like and dislike?
why does she want to go to the UK?
the dates of our wedding and reception
... and asked that more than once!
asked about Sheffield and my house
how long our relationship has been
the names of my kids
my parents' names
where are my kids now?
has she ever talked to any of my kids?

That's all I've got out of her so far But she still says she was not informed of the decision at that time. Is that usual practice now, or maybe she just did not hear the interviewer say so?

Then she had to sit around waiting till about 11am, when the docs were returned to her, and she was told to go back to the Embassy at 4pm to collect her pasport...

Ivor