Thread: Taxation on gifts ??? - any info

Taxation on gifts ??? - any info

hi
    i sent my g/f some earrings and a necklace made of gold and amythst and the post office are demanding 1500php to release the goods ?
    does anyone know is this legal ?
    thanks
    adam p

davao city phil. but currently here in uk
    Quote Originally Posted by adamsky11 View Post
    hi
    i sent my g/f some earrings and a necklace made of gold and amythst and the post office are demanding 1500php to release the goods ?
    does anyone know is this legal ?
    thanks
    adam p
    tell ur gf to tell the custom its a gift given to her and she has no money to pay what they asked.or look someone she knew in post office to get it...SOMEONE YOU KNEW sometimes,is a game in the phil...lol...

davao city phil. but currently here in uk
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini63 View Post
    tell ur gf to tell the custom its a gift given to her and she has no money to pay what they asked.or look someone she knew in post office to get it...SOMEONE YOU KNEW sometimes,is a game in the phil...lol...
    or tell ur gf if she dont know somebody there,,just give secretly 200 pesos to somebody insider who can help..it means under the table..only in secret when she give it...

Quote Originally Posted by adamsky11 View Post
    First I would say you take a risk as it can be stolen easily... (and it's not unusual and not only in the Philippines, I had a phone sent to me stolen in the Royal Mail system).
    Secondly, as in all countries the customs have the right to open and verify parcels (or to x-ray it to check). And if they suspect the value you declare is not in line with the contents, they can apply a value to your sending and calculate the customs fees. It can be the case for you (sending it as a gift is not a protection, it may work but not always).
    Best regards.
    Yves

Smile thanks

thank you ,
    The family has been round screaming !! at the post office man
    Apparently they want to know all about me, our relationship and now they want more info ?
    i cannot believe they opened it ? it was a royal mail letter registered delivery and i paid insurance for it too, anyway she does not have that money its true !
    i will be there in a week so i will pay it then but it really is annoying !

When you send something abroad, you should always be ready to have to pay customs fees at the arrival. That's the rule everywhere. You send you packet free of taxes (you should be able to get back the VAT you paid in your country as you export it). But the taxes have to be paid in the arrival country. That's the law for import/export.
    The only exception is the E.U. where you pay the VAT of the country where you buy and there no custom fees between E.U. countries.

Other point, give the money to your girlfriend and let her go and get it at the post office. Don't go there by yourself or you may get an increased fee (a Kano price!). It happen sometimes...
    Best regards.
    Yves

I'm looking at importing stuff from Canada for the business, and although the government tells the disabled to get to work, the bloody red tape gets in the way
    Keith - Administrator

london well away from those people up norf
    Some of the parcel companies will deal with the tax and paperwork for you of course it will cost a little more for their service but will save your present for your mahal being held up.

Thread Information