Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanna hear ur views on this...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wanna hear ur views on this...

Was on the gym yesterday and i was actually in one of the classes that i regularly attend. This instructor leading the class, started out a story (which i supposed was meant to be a joke) about a couple of his friends going to Thailand and he was saying he couldn't believe that they manage to stay there for 3 weeks (I would love to stay as long as i could when im on a holiday) Anyway that's not the problem, he then said "They must have met goodlooking thai's" and then broke in to a laugh.

I dont know about y'all but i find this rude knowing that there's an asian female (me) in the room and i was the only one. Although im not a thai (im a proud pinoy) and definitely not used to be a "working girl" but i could be one as he doesn't know me! We all know that he was referring to "working girls", right? I guess some of u will say, i shouldn't make a big deal out of it as it doesn't refer to me but i just want to hear what you think about this and what would u feel on sort of humours like this. Would like to hear from filipino ladies as well as english men!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmr_1019 View Post
    Was on the gym yesterday and i was actually in one of the classes that i regularly attend. This instructor leading the class, started out a story (which i supposed was meant to be a joke) about a couple of his friends going to Thailand and he was saying he couldn't believe that they manage to stay there for 3 weeks (I would love to stay as long as i could when im on a holiday) Anyway that's not the problem, he then said "They must have met goodlooking thai's" and then broke in to a laugh.

I dont know about y'all but i find this rude knowing that there's an asian female (me) in the room and i was the only one. Although im not a thai (im a proud pinoy) and definitely not used to be a "working girl" but i could be one as he doesn't know me! We all know that he was referring to "working girls", right? I guess some of u will say, i shouldn't make a big deal out of it as it doesn't refer to me but i just want to hear what you think about this and what would u feel on sort of humours like this. Would like to hear from filipino ladies as well as english men!
    Well out of order.
    I would complain to the management.

I use to get a few 'jokes' from people i worked with when i told them where my wife was from, like how much did i pay for her, has she left high school yet, that i got myself a ladyboy, etc

it usually stopped when i told them, i'll bring her to work and you can ask her that yourself, oh but she might knock you out, and how embarrassed you're going to look with a broken nose in front of everyone .

what really me misses off more thou is people thinking she is chinese..

I don't see any problem with that. Reverse it to Thai's saying they must have met a good looking white man.

Like a smilie on here, if it was meant to be funny, which it obviosuly was, then the problem would be with you for taking it out of context. We have enough problems with the government killing off humour & happiness in this country.
    Keith - Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    the government killing off humour & happiness in this country.
    sing-a-long scouser keith... i know you know the words...

Happiness, happiness, the greatest gift that I posses
    I thank the Lord I've been blessed
    With more than my share of happiness

To me this old world is a wonderful place
    And I'm just about the luckiest human in the whole human race
    I've got no silver and I've got no gold
    Just a whole lot of happiness in my soul

I thank the Lord I've been blessed
    With more than my share of happiness

Happiness to me is an ocean tide
    Or a sunset fading on a mountain side
    Or maybe a big old heaven full of stars up above
    When I'm in the arms of the one I love

Happiness is a field of grain
    Lifting its face to the falling rain
    I can see it in the sunshine, I breathe it in the rain
    Happiness everywhere

i better go now

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post

Happiness for Scouser Keith would be a room full of stolen car radios and hubcaps.

I would agree with Keith on this one or you can always go down the American route as a lot of Brits do now and Sue him for a few ££££'s

Quote Originally Posted by wobblybob View Post
    I would agree with Keith on this one or you can always go down the American route as a lot of Brits do now and Sue him for a few ££££'s
    If people do that then we are not better than the americans..... I hate this new culture

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wobblybob View Post
    down the American route as a lot of Brits do now and Sue him for a few ££££'s
    Why? I don't think the comments were perceived as being racist, or even anything -ist, it was a joke, what are you suggesting a facist state where everything you say or do is open to scrutiny and liable to prosecution? Oh I forgot, it looks like its already here .

People need to chill out a bit more and stop worrying about petty things like this. How about we all worry about the dying in Africa? The homeless in the Philippines?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by walesrob View Post

People need to chill out a bit more and stop worrying about petty things like this. How about we all worry about the dying in Africa? The homeless in the Philippines?
    ----------------
    ----------------------------

jmr: Some people would find that avatar you use offensive!
    Keith - Administrator

jmr: Some people would find that avatar you use offensive!

They started it!

I've changed it. How's that?!

Banned

They started it!

youre more worse than boss using those nasty icon lol but youre pretty though

I find that VERY offensive.
    Keith - Administrator

Banned
    Awww,jmr i told you so

Would you be offended if a stranger called you Joe?

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Would you be offended if a stranger called you Joe?
    no

i'm more worried about people at work calling me 'love'

Banned

They started it!

Personally, I think that's more offensive than the topic of your original post

Banned
    now i don't know if boss is still joking about jmr avatar or he really need to change it

Respected Member
    I think this is a very low level of offence. As Keith says, its the kind of thing people say about other people anywhere - could also apply to a visitor to Scandinavia, for instance.

There is certainly a common and very mild racist attitude to Thais and people who marry them - but not something that has ever worried me or particularly offended either of my ex wives. And its nothing compared to the racist attitudes that trouble people from other races in the UK.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    There is certainly a common and very mild racist attitude to Thais and people who marry them
    That's not racist (look up the meaning), it is 'uneducated'.
    Keith - Administrator

That's not racist (look up the meaning), it is 'uneducated'.
    Well said Mr. Keith
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post

There is certainly a common and very mild racist attitude to Thais and people who marry them - but not something that has ever worried me or particularly offended either of my ex wives. And its nothing compared to the racist attitudes that trouble people from other races in the UK.

Ian
    Having lived in this part of Wales for close to 13 years (in an area where the Welsh language is dominant and there is a strong anti-English element), I've met some really nasty racists and even had to work with them, the kind who think that English should be banned from living in Wales, the kind who insist unless you speak Welsh, your not really Welsh. Now these people are the true racists, and it amazes me how they get away with it, even broadcasting their views on Welsh and radio. They are using the Welsh langauge and culture to justify what they say or do. Even when it comes to building new houses or shops in Aberystwyth, they will peddle the usual rubbish about how this will erode the Welsh language and ruin the community.

Having worked in a local supermarket, I very often had people saying "Sariad Cymraeg" (do you speak Welsh?), and if I say no, I'll get the silent treatment or they start babbling on Welsh.

Quote Originally Posted by walesrob View Post
    Having worked in a local supermarket, I very often had people saying "Sariad Cymraeg" (do you speak Welsh?), and if I say no, I'll get the silent treatment or they start babbling on Welsh.
    If an asylum seeker came into your shop and you asked if he spoke English and he just shrugged his shoulders and looked blankly at you, and you then spoke to him in English (what else could you do?) That wouldn't make you racist.

Bearing in mind most of us are married to "foreigners", how does it make you feel seeing all those illegal immigrants sneaking onto trucks in Calais?

I agree with aromulus.

I think the man is out of order..
    Its not about him being a racist..Its about him making her feel uncomfortable in front of others..

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    I agree with aromulus.

I think the man is out of order..
    Its not about him being a racist..Its about him making her feel uncomfortable in front of others..
    But the majority of folk find me funny, a small few will find me offensive, and probably feel 'uncomfortable'........but WE DO NOT PANDER TO THE MINORITIES they have already trashed this country.....
    Keith - Administrator

Banned

To be honest, I'm finding it hard to see the big problem with this. The offending quote was... correct me if I'm wrong, "They must have met goodlooking thai's". To give the guy some credit... he did use the word Thai's and not one of the more offense names sometimes used. Think you're reading to much into this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tomm View Post
    To be honest, I'm finding it hard to see the big problem with this. The offending quote was... correct me if I'm wrong, "They must have met goodlooking thai's". To give the guy some credit... he did use the word Thai's and not one of the more offense names sometimes used. Think you're reading to much into this.
    As the lady in question was the only asian present, I doubt very much that she felt relieved by the fact that "Thai" was mentioned.
    99% of people living in the west, cannot distinguish the small differences between various asian races, so as Admin put it, it was an "uneducated" comment.

He may have not made a racist remark, but it may have caused offense or discomfort to some people.
    It is macho male nature to brag about stuff like that, but there is a time and a place, and I still think that it was grossly out of order to talk about working girls in the presence of ladies, although it is, sadly, a fact of life.

I am not in any way, shape or form a Guardian reader. In fact I think that this society is going too far in the way we deal with people from different ethnic backgrounds.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post
    As the lady in question was the only asian present, I doubt very much that she felt relieved by the fact that "Thai" was mentioned.
    99% of people living in the west, cannot distinguish the small differences between various asian races, so as Admin put it, it was an "uneducated" comment.

He may have not made a racist remark, but it may have caused offense or discomfort to some people.
    It is macho male nature to brag about stuff like that, but there is a time and a place, and I still think that it was grossly out of order to talk about working girls in the presence of ladies, although it is, sadly, a fact of life.

I am not in any way, shape or form a Guardian reader. In fact I think that this society is going too far in the way we deal with people from different ethnic backgrounds.
    You're right but I think a lot depends on the individual and circumstances. I asked Juliet how she would feel and she said she wouldn't be bothered in the slightest.

Having spent a lot of time at sea, I'm used to working with Filipinos and Indonesians. I made a lot of Asian friends and would often make comments which would bring shrieks of disapproval from members of this forum. However, because of the situation and circumstances.... maybe me and 5 Filipinos... it would always bring howls of laughter.

london well away from those people up norf
    I agree he could have said if they stayed in the US for three weeks must have met some goodlooking yanks.

If it winds you up, next time your in phill make sure that all those around you are as PC as they can be (good luck). If they are not reprimand them and then educate them in how to act politcally correct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information