Thread: Wanna hear ur views on this...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmr_1019 View Post
    Was on the gym yesterday and i was actually in one of the classes that i regularly attend. This instructor leading the class, started out a story (which i supposed was meant to be a joke) about a couple of his friends going to Thailand and he was saying he couldn't believe that they manage to stay there for 3 weeks (I would love to stay as long as i could when im on a holiday) Anyway that's not the problem, he then said "They must have met goodlooking thai's" and then broke in to a laugh.

I dont know about y'all but i find this rude knowing that there's an asian female (me) in the room and i was the only one. Although im not a thai (im a proud pinoy) and definitely not used to be a "working girl" but i could be one as he doesn't know me! We all know that he was referring to "working girls", right? I guess some of u will say, i shouldn't make a big deal out of it as it doesn't refer to me but i just want to hear what you think about this and what would u feel on sort of humours like this. Would like to hear from filipino ladies as well as english men!
    To be honest, I'm finding it hard to see the big problem with this. The offending quote was... correct me if I'm wrong, "They must have met goodlooking thai's". To give the guy some credit... he did use the word Thai's and not one of the more offense names sometimes used. Think you're reading to much into this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tomm View Post
    To be honest, I'm finding it hard to see the big problem with this. The offending quote was... correct me if I'm wrong, "They must have met goodlooking thai's". To give the guy some credit... he did use the word Thai's and not one of the more offense names sometimes used. Think you're reading to much into this.
    As the lady in question was the only asian present, I doubt very much that she felt relieved by the fact that "Thai" was mentioned.
    99% of people living in the west, cannot distinguish the small differences between various asian races, so as Admin put it, it was an "uneducated" comment.

He may have not made a racist remark, but it may have caused offense or discomfort to some people.
    It is macho male nature to brag about stuff like that, but there is a time and a place, and I still think that it was grossly out of order to talk about working girls in the presence of ladies, although it is, sadly, a fact of life.

I am not in any way, shape or form a Guardian reader. In fact I think that this society is going too far in the way we deal with people from different ethnic backgrounds.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post
    As the lady in question was the only asian present, I doubt very much that she felt relieved by the fact that "Thai" was mentioned.
    99% of people living in the west, cannot distinguish the small differences between various asian races, so as Admin put it, it was an "uneducated" comment.

He may have not made a racist remark, but it may have caused offense or discomfort to some people.
    It is macho male nature to brag about stuff like that, but there is a time and a place, and I still think that it was grossly out of order to talk about working girls in the presence of ladies, although it is, sadly, a fact of life.

I am not in any way, shape or form a Guardian reader. In fact I think that this society is going too far in the way we deal with people from different ethnic backgrounds.
    You're right but I think a lot depends on the individual and circumstances. I asked Juliet how she would feel and she said she wouldn't be bothered in the slightest.

Having spent a lot of time at sea, I'm used to working with Filipinos and Indonesians. I made a lot of Asian friends and would often make comments which would bring shrieks of disapproval from members of this forum. However, because of the situation and circumstances.... maybe me and 5 Filipinos... it would always bring howls of laughter.

Thread Information