Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: meeting the parents

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    hi to all, im off to the philippines in september and getting married in october, after an 18mth courtship, i will be meeting my in-laws for the first time, my question is should i bring gifts with me? my future asawa is the eldest of seven, I need help as I want to ensure that my bride and the family are happy, help-what do i do?
    bernie dalton

london well away from those people up norf
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(berniedalton &#064; Apr 24 2006, 09&#58;01 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    hi to all, im off to the philippines in september and getting married in october, after an 18mth courtship, i will be meeting my in-laws for the first time, my question is should i bring gifts with me? my future asawa is the eldest of seven, I need help as I want to ensure that my bride and the family are happy, help-what do i do?
    bernie dalton
    [/b][/quote]

Do bring gifts but don&#39;t go over the top. Bringing small gifts over from the UK will go down well with most.

Perfumes, cosmetics, choclate, t shirts all go down well in my family.

For example biscuits from Harrods in a posh tin, a bit naff say in the uk. But will have pride of place on the table.

Talking to your Asawa should give you lots of ideas.

I also cheat by taking the Wife and some of her tita&#39;s and their kids to the Duty free superstore near Manila airport. Where you can buy huge packs of Choclate and any thing else you can think off. Went down a storm with the kids and saved me carting so many gifts over.

Also with the choclate we kept getting free gifts like a water dispenser or a couple of rusacks for college for the kids. In the UK you would not give house room to the gifts but in phill they were greatly recieved by various realtives.

Respected Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(berniedalton &#064; Apr 24 2006, 09&#58;01 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    bernie dalton
    [/b][/quote]
    If you don&#39;t take anything, and nobody speaks to you, and you hear the words " Aii, walang pasalubong" you will know you have committed the mortal sin.

In some .......isation of convention Filipinos seem to have decided that every returning relative or friend must bring them a gift back from their travels, and not doing so can condemn you to a very quiet and tense time until they get over it.

It always seems to me to be a very selfish attitude towards what should be an act of voluntary and spontaneous generosity. They can be very much like that though, much the same way an entire extended family can happily live of the income of one relative who works their a&#036;&#036; off overseas, whilst the rest make no attempt to support themselves, because &#39;insert name&#39; is earning the big bucks.

my question is should i bring gifts with me? my future asawa is the eldest of seven, I need help as I want to ensure that my bride and the family are happy, help-what do i do?
    bernie dalton
    [/b][/quote]

The Essential Passalubong

Yes - and talk to your girl about her family so you have an idea who you are buying for -

on my next trip I will buy Swiss Army knives for brothers and nephews - consumables are only good for as long as they last - hopefully the knives, or some other similar gift, will create lasting prestige for months

Administrator
    ...and don&#39;t take them 9ct gold [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif[/img]
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

Free Asian dating & forum - www.filipinouk.co.uk
    Subscription dating, 1000's of members - www.asiansingle4u.com
    Professional gambling & forum - www.win2win.co.uk
    Betting bot reviews - www.exchangebots.com
    Professional poker & forum - www.win2winpoker.co.uk
    Astronomy forum - www.astronomy-forum.co.uk
    Company site - www.win2win-limited.co.uk

thanx for info....i thought my family was big but my fiance&#39;s family dwarfs mine, hers is HUGE - its scary, her grandfather, mother & father think the world of me as i did (for the first time in my life) ask for their permission for their grand/daughter&#39;s hand in marriage, obviously i do want to impress them but im also concerned that being too showy may offend them as they work hard for so little ( that was a shock as i earn more in an 2 hours than they earn in a week&#33 and it could feel like rubbing salt into a wound, besides her father is p/t barangay police officer and owns a gun haha, seriously i do want to get it right though

Give them loads of chocolates... thorntons will do, and if you dont mind of sending me a box as well? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif[/img]
    (Haha I just love thorntons, I really do&#33; ) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Wave.gif[/img]
    There is always death and taxes; however, death doesn't get worse every year.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ervenescence &#064; Apr 25 2006, 01&#58;10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Give them loads of chocolates... thorntons will do, and if you dont mind of sending me a box as well? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif[/img]
    (Haha I just love thorntons, I really do&#33; ) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Wave.gif[/img]
    [/b][/quote]

hi thanx for advice... thorntons eh? haha when i talk to her youngest sister on the phone she&#39;s always saying &#39;bernie,bernie chocolate, chocolate (she 5yrs old),i will ask my &#39;asawa&#39; for advice. as she has lots of family haha, nice to hear from u... u may get a box of thorntons thru da post haha [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif[/img]

I&#39;d recommend Thorntons too - their Continental have always done the trick for me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ivor&mel &#064; Apr 25 2006, 02&#58;37 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    I&#39;d recommend Thorntons too - their Continental have always done the trick for me.
    [/b][/quote]

Respected Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ervenescence &#064; Apr 25 2006, 01&#58;10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
    Chocolate always hits the spot. My wife was always asking me to bring choccies back, even when I pointed out they were cheaper to buy at the duty free in Clark Air Base than in the airports of the world.
    [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Erm.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Erm.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]

She&#39;d rather have melted and deformed Cadburys carried from the middle east than solid and cool choccy from Clark. Must be a Filipino thing [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif[/img]

Administrator
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(berniedalton &#064; Apr 25 2006, 12&#58;54 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    that was a shock as i earn more in an 2 hours than they earn in a week&#33;
    [/b][/quote]
    ...and I gamble in a week what they will never earn in there lives [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif[/img]
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

I agree with the chocolates and that will at least keep the female side of the family happy.

Maybe even some souviners from where you live in the UK will always go down well.

With the kids usually sweets from the UK or just buy some for them when you arrive in the Philippines.

Respected Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eljohno &#064; Apr 26 2006, 07&#58;33 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    I agree with the chocolates and that will at least keep the female side of the family happy.

Maybe even some souviners from where you live in the UK will always go down well.

With the kids usually sweets from the UK or just buy some for them when you arrive in the Philippines.
    [/b][/quote]
    the best thing is to ask your girlfriend first what her family really likes...for my own opinion,id rather want you to buy what is really essential like for example foods and clothes..chocolates are nice but it just melt in ur mouth and all u get is sweet tooth hahahahah&#33;&#33;&#33;seriously though ask ur gf about it and a good conversation with the family is good...its a aform of bonding and you will know more about them.....
    good luck and welcome aboard&#33;&#33;&#33;

truelove26

Banned
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pauldo &#064; Apr 25 2006, 04&#58;33 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    If you don&#39;t take anything, and nobody speaks to you, and you hear the words " Aii, walang pasalubong" you will know you have committed the mortal sin.

In some .......isation of convention Filipinos seem to have decided that every returning relative or friend must bring them a gift back from their travels, and not doing so can condemn you to a very quiet and tense time until they get over it.

It always seems to me to be a very selfish attitude towards what should be an act of voluntary and spontaneous generosity. They can be very much like that though, much the same way an entire extended family can happily live of the income of one relative who works their a&#036;&#036; off overseas, whilst the rest make no attempt to support themselves, because &#39;insert name&#39; is earning the big bucks.
    [/b][/quote]

But not my family as I am not tolerating them in pasalubong,I am the very lazy bringing pasalubong from any other&#39;s places I had been then I ve always saying them that I am really lazy but the good things you can&#39;t hear them any other words.I was in Hong Kong and Middle East and every time I got home I just brought my shoulder bag. So they won&#39;t expect , For me it&#39;s quite good as nobody well expect me to brought for them something.The only thing I heard asking me pasalubung is our neighboors, I remember when Rob asked me what things he can brought to my family I replied nothing as I really don&#39;t like it to become it as a habit . and if we gonna have a holiday again I don&#39;t like to bring luggage’s it&#39;s cheap to bought clothes in the Philippines . And I remember I did send by packages all my luggages from HK. and Middle East All I want is to get out of the crowded air port and not to wait for the bagages at the bagage area for ages it chaos And I’ve always coming home surprised I just phone them when I am already on the way to our house by the bus I t’s very exciting for me, yes I did that always . the last time we had our vacation nobody knew that we arrived they’re just all can’t believed and little bit of shock but yet happy to see us .Well I can’t blame other’s that they bringing pasalubong as they are happy to doing it and I am happy too of what I am doing , So be it ……

I guess another option is even you do not want to carry lots of gifts over with you is if you can afford it just take her close family out and either buy them gifts in the Philippines or take them out for meals.

Banned
    Yeah that&#39;s another good Idea or they will treat you like mother did she killed her pig for me when I arrived from Middle East and she always want to do it everytime we visit them but I said it doesn&#39;t matter, or we just bought some nice food and we eat together in the house.When I was working in other country I&#39;ve always explain to my family how hard to be far away from them and earn money it&#39;s really a sacrificed,then I told them that I&#39;ts stilll the same our lives here in abroad that if you not work and earn money nobody will feed you and triple we spent here, Honestly I am the kind of person that I am demanding their eagerness to see me and Rob rather than expecting the pasalubong I can feel how they missed me so much when they saw me by surpriced visit and the thing is they are all worried what food they will prepare for us and my mother had a tears on her eyes while embraced me and rob. It&#39;s important to my family that they saw me and Rob in good health. My mother explain to our neighboor that I am like that always surprised when coming home and don&#39;t expect a pasalubong coz she&#39;s very lazy.Even my friends I just treat them to eat out and tell them frankly that I don&#39;t have any pasalubong as I am so lazy bringing bagage and they understand it.The more you brought pasalubong the more they will expect it from you everytime you visit them and not missing you.

Well I love to give a lil, and I will be please when I make someone smiles. Another thing which is work.

Give them a thing with a name England on it.

Example: shirt with a print of England.
    baseball cap
    mugs
    keyring
    socks,..etc.

I tell you they will appreciate it, and don&#39;t be surprise if they used those quite often. They are just proud that someone from this country has given those things to them. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif[/img]
    Please, no need to get an expensive things just to please them ( wish they knew how everything here are murder to our accounts - from foods to houses. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cwm3.gif[/img] )

Banned
    The more you happy if you see them smile at first and appreciate you without giving anything else at least that&#39;s for real and not they smile because you brought something. for them. Try to be in their mind that your presence is the most important than anything else. That’s really important in our family and your both happy.

Well I know it&#39;s nice to see them smile when you gave something but try not to bring anything and see if they can still smile and what they will say to you " Ay wala man lang akong pasalubong "I don&#39;t like to hear this word even in a joke and infront of my husband I want them respect my husband the way they respect me.I and Rob are the most important to my family than pasalubong.Rob brought something to my family small souvenirs from wales but my mother told him it doesn&#39;t matter even he don&#39;t gave anything as long he treat me nice and we are in good health and a wealthy relationship that&#39;s all she wish for both of us.

And another idea is try to say them you don&#39;t have a pasalubong and see how they will react but gave your pasalubong when you leaving instead of when you arrived it&#39;s just another surprise to them so they will not say where is my pasalubong upon your arriving at the house Coz I ve heard some other from othere&#39;s that they uttering saying" hey where&#39;s is my pasalubong&#33;" I don&#39;t have a colonialism attitude even though I&#39;ve been work in many places and even though I got married a foreigner so I don&#39;t like my family got that attitude too All I want them from the very start accept my husband what and who ever he is, same as I am

Well our presence is enough gift for them but considering that I can afford a lil thing for my family, then why not? Im sure a box of chocolates which is good for everybody will not rip off my purse&#33; [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] I think its not being boast, its just being me. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(berniedalton &#064; Apr 25 2006, 01&#58;35 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    hi thanx for advice... thorntons eh? haha when i talk to her youngest sister on the phone she&#39;s always saying &#39;bernie,bernie chocolate, chocolate (she 5yrs old),i will ask my &#39;asawa&#39; for advice. as she has lots of family haha, nice to hear from u... u may get a box of thorntons thru da post haha [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif[/img]
    [/b][/quote]

Yes, since she has lots of family member, a box of chocolates will be fine, you don&#39;t have to think of getting things individually for all of them.

btw..im looking forward to the post..hehe [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

[ate bernie, ate bernie chocolate chocolate - ooops sorry erve [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Banned
    Yeah we all can afford to buy something for our family but what I am trying to say they must wait and apprciate whatever you or your guest can gave to them as honeslty it&#39;s quite embarrasing to the person that they first time to meet , for us it&#39;s all fine we know and understand it,as they are not the same to our culture. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif[/img] I know we want them to be happy once they saw us but with a little bit of discipline [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Erm.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(berniedalton &#064; Apr 27 2006, 01&#58;54 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    [ate bernie, ate bernie chocolate chocolate - ooops sorry erve [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
    [/b][/quote]

Just curious, who is bernie? is that your wife&#39;s name or yours? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Doh.gif[/img]

hahaha... im bernie, roselyn is my asawa&#39;s name.... thats minus one choco cream from your box ms erve [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif[/img]

Administrator
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(berniedalton &#064; Apr 28 2006, 09&#58;47 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    thats minus one choco cream from your box ms erve [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif[/img]
    [/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s fightin&#39; talk in Liverpool.....can we watch? Can it be in mud? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif[/img]
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(love8888 &#064; Apr 28 2006, 09&#58;36 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Yeah we all can afford to buy something for our family but what I am trying to say they must wait and apprciate whatever you or your guest can gave to them as honeslty it&#39;s quite embarrasing to the person that they first time to meet , for us it&#39;s all fine we know and understand it,as they are not the same to our culture. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif[/img] [/b][/quote]

Haha, jumping to conclusion&#33; I think this should be in another thread because I couldn&#39;t figure that Bernie&#39;s wife family was asking for gift from their visitors. I believe not all filipino are lack of etiquette as same as what you&#39;ve mention above, maybe yours but pardon me, not my family. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Hellooo.gif[/img]
    From what I understand here, the poster was only asking for opinions of whats the best thing that he can give for his wife&#39;s family..he should give or not? We&#39;ll its all Bernie&#39;s decision, surely his wife&#39;s family will appreciate it wether he bring something or not.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I know we want them to be happy once they saw us but with a little bit of discipline [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Erm.gif[/img]
    [/b][/quote]

Yeah, yeah..just kick their ass off&#33; [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif[/img] That&#39;s discipline.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(berniedalton &#064; Apr 28 2006, 09&#58;47 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    hahaha... im bernie, roselyn is my asawa&#39;s name.... thats minus one choco cream from your box ms erve [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif[/img]
    [/b][/quote]

oops&#33; sorry, I thought its your wife&#39;s name. Just wonder of how come those lil kid was calling you Ate Bernie..hehe, because ATE in filipino is an older sister, and don&#39;t be surprise if her lil sister will say KUYA Bernie to you, for thats how we call our older brother. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/happy.gif[/img]

I dont mind if you take the choco cream in my box, just leave the dark ones.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(admin &#064; Apr 29 2006, 07&#58;46 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    That&#39;s fightin&#39; talk in Liverpool.....can we watch? Can it be in mud? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif[/img]
    [/b][/quote]

Politics now are going crazy, they are showing their true colors, dig more and their stinks will pop out. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/butthead.gif[/img]

Administrator
    Starting to make the Phil goverment look whiter than white [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif[/img]
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(admin &#064; Apr 29 2006, 02&#58;53 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Starting to make the Phil goverment look whiter than white [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif[/img]
    [/b][/quote]

Tell me about it, Phil gov&#39;t has loads of rubbish its a perfect comparison with a piece of syit. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/furious3.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information