Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: World Cup!!!

20m? Good grief... I'd be surprised though: Fergie can't have much to spend, and that would take most of his budget? I'd have thought he'd be better off scavenging from Juve and Milan when they get demoted and all their stars run off

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    I was too amazed at henry dropping like that holding his face looking for a penalty, especially as he did an interview on TV before the tournament saying that sort of thing needs to be rub out as it spoils the game. I think also Sven will keep the same formation even though Rooney must have run a marathon in the last match. Lampard will also score against Portugal, he is well over due in knocking one of those long range balls in the back of the net.

Lampard really seems to have had trouble getting on target in the WC. Is it because he can't adjust to the balls they are using? And what happens in training? Are they allowed to use match balls?

No one else seems affected by the balls and seeing as you can buy them for about £80 I would assume that they are using them for training.

I just think his having a dry spell and now his trying too hard to try and make ammends. Plus he needs to look for a few more passes than trying to shoot everytime
    He who drop watch down the toilet have $hitty time

80 quid? That's a lot for a helium balloon

I heard Nancy will be in goal for this as she's been picking the team until now
    Keith - Administrator

I'm glad to hear it - that someone has admitted responsibility, I mean

I think if England have any chance they need to let Gerrard have a free role like he gets at Liverpool and he will score..

My heart would love to see them win it but my head says they will lose on sat or at best the semi final stage but i hope i am wrong...

Sorry to say this guys but the Final will be Argentina v Italy. Crespo will get the winner and Messi in a 2-0 win. It will be a scrappy game unfit for a WC final, and the ref (the one who looks like Dracula) will send off at least 2 players.

Least thats what I dreamt the other night. I thought it had to be worth a fiver and got 80-1 on it. Could have got 16000-1 if i said when they will score !!!

I just hope my dream doesnt come true - it fills me with joy to hear my fiance shouting the england players on when they're on TV. And she even lets me wear my England shirt to bed.

Gerrard and Lampard both. I have to say I was impressed by Hargreaves playing in the spoiler role, and that's what we need to free up the other 2. He's no Makelele, but he's the best we've got!

I'm still optimistic about Sat. What bothers me is that we might go all the way and win it, playing crap football! Become the Greece of 2006...

Do The Philippines have a national football team - I tried to search for evidence of their FA but nothing came up in my search. If anyone has any links are suggestions let me know.

They do have a team and when i looked on fifa website they were 166 in the world but i do not have a link for any more info.

With all the Italian cheating in & out of the World Cup, if they win, it will be a farse

The Philippines scored 1pt in there group...first time ever....If they stopped concentrating on useless US games, and joined the rest of the world, footy, cricket, rugby, etc, then they might get noticed.
    Keith - Administrator

Had a few mates round last night and in the absence of real life football decided to re-enact Saturdays game on the playstation, two vs two.

England vs Portugal, same expected formations as Sat

England won it 3-2 with a Rooney hat trick

Could be an omen !!!!

I`m sticking a small bet on that result today, just in case
    He who drop watch down the toilet have $hitty time

Wikipedia has an entry for the Philippine footie team. Seems they do win occasionally!

And it's all gone quiet over there...

It's Ukraine, isn't it? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

This has to be the worst world cup ever for having bad referees, cannot believe some of the decisions that are being made and Argentina are going out because of another bad referee aaggh

Banned
    On the other hand the Italy - Ukraine game.... was a gem to watch..

And no italians got booked....

The ref was rather good I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Eljohno
    This has to be the worst world cup ever for having bad referees, cannot believe some of the decisions that are being made and Argentina are going out because of another bad referee aaggh
    They were all supposed to be the cream of the cream, weren't they? And now we're into the knockout stages, they should be the cream of the cream of the cream! It's shambolic. FIFA need to do a lot of reflection and soul-searching, and then come to the conclusion that they have to make use of technology to bring the game into the 21st century.

I realise that referees are human but its costing teams like Argentina a place in the next round. Although generally i am glad that they are starting to do something about the disgraceful divers

Yet again it took the TV company 10 secs to decide it WAS a penalty after seeing all angles, and yet the players were still agruing on the pitch....which part of technology actually DELAYS the game??

http://www.win2win.co.uk/forum/showt...695#post349695
    Keith - Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win
    Yet again it took the TV company 10 secs to decide it WAS a penalty after seeing all angles, and yet the players were still agruing on the pitch....which part of technology actually DELAYS the game??

http://www.win2win.co.uk/forum/showt...695#post349695
    I am in favour of technology being used at football games like the camera on the goalposts and even another ref with a monitor. I know it might slow things down a little but to many refs are making terrible decisions

I as a part time sunday league ref myself am all against it. You see it works both ways doesnt it - Would England have won the World Cp in 66 if we had a cam on the post ? Would Sheringhams goal against Bayern stood ?

Its the controversy that makes that part of the game more intriguing, and what the heck would we all argue about, and who would we blame if the ref never made any mistakes ?????

What annoys me is the number of rule changes they bring in at every World Cup, and the discrepancies between the way certain rules are viewed depending on the league you play in. I just hope they keep it a contact sport though.

Quote Originally Posted by russ01539
    I as a part time sunday league ref myself am all against it. You see it works both ways doesnt it - Would England have won the World Cp in 66 if we had a cam on the post ? Would Sheringhams goal against Bayern stood ?

Its the controversy that makes that part of the game more intriguing, and what the heck would we all argue about, and who would we blame if the ref never made any mistakes ?????

What annoys me is the number of rule changes they bring in at every World Cup, and the discrepancies between the way certain rules are viewed depending on the league you play in. I just hope they keep it a contact sport though.
    I actually was against the new offside rule but i have come around to now thinking its not a bad idea but its taken a while for even the players to get used to. Even if you are against video refereeing do you not think something needs to be done about the goal line. I know mistakes are part of the game but the one made against Spurs when they played Utd was a disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by russ01539
    You are kidding aren't you??

The BEST team is supposed to win playing by the rules that govern football, by diving, giving penalties that aren't, allowing goals that were offside, etc, is obviosuly NOT abiding by the rules of the sport and should be dealt with accordingly, otherwise the BEST team do not win.

As for '66, well if the goal wasn't allowed, and Germany won, and that would be because they were the BEST team on the day, and won by playing football, not a linesman/ref getting the rules wrong.

You only need referral technology on penalty decisions & goals when the ref decides, not the players, and it SPEEDS up the game, because the replays are reviewed in seconds, the players argue for minutes.
    Keith - Administrator

Yes it was a disgrace - but if your a Utd fan like me (and yes I was born within 15 miles of Old Trafford - and do attend regularly) it was a stroke of luck that changed our entire season !

Sorry if your a Tottenham fan, but I bet throughout the season the good weighed up with the bad decisions.

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    One and a quarter hours to go before the anticipated England V Portugal game. I am hoping beyond hope that England get through this round, but after seeing the other quaters being played i do not think England can progress through the semi finals. I still think Lampard will score in this match. Well i will be keeping my fingers crossed. As for the refereeing, I agree that there should be new technology on the goal posts, but on the pitch itself it should be left to the linesman and referee himself.

England will always have a chance when the greatest midfielder in the world Steven Gerrard is playing. I have to admit i am in agreement with you Keith on this one especially when i watched Argentina the better team go out against Germany because of mistakes made by the ref.
    Although Russ i know the refs have an impossible task and i have also seen some amazing decisions made by the refs in the world cup.

Come on England!!!!!!!

I bet you'll all be smiling if the ref awards us a dubious penalty in the last minute at 0-0.

What you all ?

Thread Information