Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qatar airways. Any good?

Respected Member
    Hi everyone, I am planning another Trip to Manila at the moment for September. The best prices I can get on flights at the moment is with Qatar airways. Basically are they any good? And has anyone any experiences they wish to share.
    I flew with Cathay Pacific last time and they were pretty good.

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by symonh2000 @ Jun 7 2006, 07:29 PM)
    Hi everyone, I am planning another Trip to Manila at the moment for September. The best prices I can get on flights at the moment is with Qatar airways. Basically are they any good? And has anyone any experiences they wish to share.

Many thanks.
    Mel and I flew with them at the end of March (Cebu-Manchester) and I think John used them in April. The flights were pretty good, as good as Singapore in my experience. The only caveat is that you will have to change planes at Doha, and the airport is still small and "under construction". However, if you only have an hour or 2 between flights, the time will soon pass. And if you have a long wait (more than 5 hours?) QA will whisk you off to a hotel room, I believe. Have a Google for people's opinions on QA; that's what I did a year or so ago, and I was really impressed by the comments. The only thing I didn't like was the timing of their flights: ours was 3am from Cebu... stopped at Singapore as well as Doha... and was a late evening arrival into Manchester. But the in-flight experience was as good as any I have been on.

Ivor and Mel

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(symonh2000 &#064; Jun 7 2006, 07&#58;29 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Many thanks.
    [/b][/quote]
    Are they any good, well the planes only chash the once [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Doh.gif[/img] ok hahaha I booked them in jan 06 and wish to god i spent £40.00 more and gone by singsing airlines, you dont get the service on them fight&#39;s, I had a 5 hour stop over in Daha, total crap hole, complete sea of white, the power of bold automatic goes a long way over there heheheheh dont do it.

Banned
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pot_pot &#064; Jun 8 2006, 02&#58;26 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Are they any good, well the planes only chash the once [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Doh.gif[/img] ok hahaha I booked them in jan 06 and wish to god i spent £40.00 more and gone by singsing airlines, you dont get the service on them fight&#39;s, I had a 5 hour stop over in Daha, total crap hole, complete sea of white, the power of bold automatic goes a long way over there heheheheh dont do it.
    [/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] What are you on?

Qatar is on a par with Emirates, only downside is that awful Doha airport.

If you want some recent opinions of QA, have a look here

Doha airport has to be a contender for the filthiest place on earth competition. Too many people for such a small airport. There are little or no facilities, and no staff to help. Because of the lack of toilet facilities (there were huge queues,) people had urinated and vomited in corners on the floor, and this had not been cleaned. Hundreds of people were sleeping on floors due to a lack of seating.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/review168737.html

I am only ever going to Doha once - and I&#39;ve already been. Its not worth the 100quid or so saving. That said the planes themselves are fine.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baboyako &#064; Jun 8 2006, 09&#58;56 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Doha airport has to be a contender for the filthiest place on earth competition. Too many people for such a small airport. There are little or no facilities, and no staff to help. Because of the lack of toilet facilities (there were huge queues,) people had urinated and vomited in corners on the floor, and this had not been cleaned. Hundreds of people were sleeping on floors due to a lack of seating.

I am only ever going to Doha once - and I&#39;ve already been. Its not worth the 100quid or so saving. That said the planes themselves are fine.
    [/b][/quote]

I went through Doha last April and i agree for sure about the seating as there was about 3 people for every seat available. It worked out better on the return leg as we thought we were going to have to stay in the airport for 15 hours but Qatar put us in a hotel and it turned out very well in the end.

For me i will pay the extra amount and fly with Singapore Airlines as their airport is amazing....

Quote Originally Posted by Eljohno @ Jun 8 2006, 10:08 PM
    I went through Doha last April and i agree for sure about the seating as there was about 3 people for every seat available. It worked out better on the return leg as we thought we were going to have to stay in the airport for 15 hours but Qatar put us in a hotel and it turned out very well in the end.
    For me i will pay the extra amount and fly with Singapore Airlines as their airport is amazing....
    Changi is in a class of its own. It's the one airport that I never mind waiting at. They even have a Nature Trail now I believe? Maybe Doha will be as good one day

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baboyako &#064; Jun 8 2006, 09&#58;56 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

Stop moaning...about Qatar Airways, at the end of the day, everyones perception of the service they got is dependant on many circumstances, i.e. cabin crews shift changes, supplies, food, and many other factors, so ones man trip is great, anothers is a bad experience, I could have written some of these comments, about most of the airlines that travel out to Manila, Cathay Pacific has had its moments, so has Singapore Airlines, so has Gulf, and Emirates, at the end of the day, its a competitive market for low cost air travel, when you are buying cut price economy tickets, sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth, Qatar airways is no different in what it offers to any other of the 4 or 5 carriers that go that way, Doha airport may be a bit on the poor side, but in years to come, it will be probably a world class one, the Gulf States have done pretty well in getting their act together over the years, on the whole, you get what you pay for, as far as travelling out to Manila is concerned, you just want to get out there safely, and get from A To B, the airlines all have the same mission, to get you to your destination, and I think they can all say, they do that.

If you want real service, then opt for around £1500.00 and go Gulf Air Business Class, there isnt a better service in the world, having tried it 2 xmas&#39;s ago, I thought it was the experience of a life time, at the moment its about another £700.00 to get it, then you will see what service is.

Apart from that, Qatar is as good as any other, the aircraft are modern, and my wife had no complaints about her trip, they also, put my wife in a 1st class hotel overnight, in between her connection to London, and a courier came to the hotel to collect her, and a taxi took her back to the airport, in Economy I would say that is good service.

I fly a lot with work so have been to a lot of airports.

Doha was a real shock (the stuff about half an inch of &#39;water&#39; on the toilet floor was true). As I said the plane itself was fine (even if delayed 2hrs)

Quote Originally Posted by baboyako @ Jun 9 2006, 08:50 PM
    I fly a lot with work so have been to a lot of airports.

Doha was a real shock (the stuff about half an inch of 'water' on the toilet floor was true). As I said the plane itself was fine (even if delayed 2hrs)
    I suppose the positive way of looking at it is that it can't be any worse next time The whole country looks to be "under construction" but I still have a strange fondness for QA. They are gaining a good reputation despite Doha.

Hi,

In my opinion you cannot beat Cathay, and i certainly wouldnt go Doah way. Fly to Hong Kong, if you are adventurous you can do it so easily without long stays.

Fly out of Heathrow at 12.45pm arrive in Hong Kong at 7.30am the following morning. Wait in Hong Kong untill 9.10am when flight leaves for Manila and arrive at 11.10am, no need to mess with baggage as you are in transit at Hong Kong, to my mind the hassle free clean and less tiring way

Cheers,

Tim

Respected Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tim &#064; Jun 10 2006, 12&#58;28 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Hi,

In my opinion you cannot beat Cathay, and i certainly wouldnt go Doah way. Fly to Hong Kong, if you are adventurous you can do it so easily without long stays.

Fly out of Heathrow at 12.45pm arrive in Hong Kong at 7.30am the following morning. Wait in Hong Kong untill 9.10am when flight leaves for Manila and arrive at 11.10am, no need to mess with baggage as you are in transit at Hong Kong, to my mind the hassle free clean and less tiring way

Cheers,

Tim
    [/b][/quote]

I was considering Cathay again, but the flight I wish to take is listed at £830 odd, while Qatar was listed at £480. Having said that I might pay the extra and go Singapore airlines which was £534.. i will have to see what the prices are when I come to book. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by symonh2000 @ Jun 14 2006, 07:10 PM
    I was considering Cathay again, but the flight I wish to take is listed at £830 odd, while Qatar was listed at £480. Having said that I might pay the extra and go Singapore airlines which was £534.. i will have to see what the prices are when I come to book.
    Unless cash is extremely tight, I'd go for SA in that case: the difference in price is not great. Just make sure you get a return ticket if you fly with SA

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ivor&mel &#064; Jun 14 2006, 07&#58;48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Unless cash is extremely tight, I&#39;d go for SA in that case: the difference in price is not great. Just make sure you get a return ticket if you fly with SA [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
    [/b][/quote]

I have to agree with Ivor and go with Singapore for the sake of £50. I would only use Qatar if the difference in price was huge.

It is always good to check what the time difference is between flights.

It is worth going via Singapore Airlines to see how great their Airport is...

Quote Originally Posted by Eljohno @ Jun 14 2006, 08:57 PM
    It is worth going via Singapore Airlines to see how great their Airport is...
    Yeah, if you've never been to Changi before, that's one more reason for choosing SA. I like HK for the beautiful setting, and the airport is excellent. But Changi is something else! Right now, I wish I was there for 4 weeks, sat in those comfy chairs, watching the WC on those big screens!

Administrator
    My mates flew out the Philippines today for £496. Only £16 more than it cost me to go to Singapore [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Erm.gif[/img]

Make sure you book a 777 if you use SIA, you get there over an hour quicker [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

Free Asian dating & forum - www.filipinouk.co.uk
    Subscription dating, 1000's of members - www.asiansingle4u.com
    Professional gambling & forum - www.win2win.co.uk
    Betting bot reviews - www.exchangebots.com
    Professional poker & forum - www.win2winpoker.co.uk
    Astronomy forum - www.astronomy-forum.co.uk
    Company site - www.win2win-limited.co.uk

When are the A380s coming in to service?

Administrator
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ivor&mel &#064; Jun 14 2006, 10&#58;09 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    When are the A380s coming in to service?
    [/b][/quote]

2007 If they don&#39;t get the weight & wiring sorted in the next 6 months [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Doh.gif[/img]
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

Banned
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(admin &#064; Jun 14 2006, 11&#58;28 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    2007 If they don&#39;t get the weight & wiring sorted in the next 6 months [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Doh.gif[/img]
    [/b][/quote]

SIA will get theirs as scheduled at the end of this year, but Qantas and others will have to wait 6 more months. It&#39;s not looking too good for Airbus - I&#39;ll bet there will be a lot of angry airline bosses out there.

Administrator
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walesrob &#064; Jun 15 2006, 07&#58;05 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    SIA will get theirs as scheduled at the end of this year, but Qantas and others will have to wait 6 more months. It&#39;s not looking too good for Airbus - I&#39;ll bet there will be a lot of angry airline bosses out there.
    [/b][/quote]

Same thing happened with the first 747&#39;s, nothing new in business......and a few of them fell out the sky in the first few years [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif[/img]
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

Banned
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(admin &#064; Jun 15 2006, 08&#58;22 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Same thing happened with the first 747&#39;s, nothing new in business......and a few of them fell out the sky in the first few years [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif[/img]
    [/b][/quote]

You might like to take a look at this 747 Aborted take off [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] (click on top video of the Tradewinds 747 aborting take off).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walesrob &#064; Jun 15 2006, 07&#58;05 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    [/b][/quote]

Im registered with SIA to get the possibily of the 1st flight ? but i doubt whether we will hahah, but I would like to fly it at least once to say I&#39;ve been on it.

How about you Rob ?

Administrator
    I wish they&#39;d get broadband on the Manc-Sing route......
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

Respected Member
    I would rather wait a while before getting on a A380, let it get a few airmiles under its wings so that all the bugs get ironed out..

Administrator
    Any bugs are likley to get flattened out falling from 5 miles [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif[/img]
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

What&#39;s the cuising altitude of an A380? Does it have to be higher than a 747?

Administrator
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ivor&mel &#064; Jun 16 2006, 08&#58;33 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    What&#39;s the cuising altitude of an A380? Does it have to be higher than a 747?
    [/b][/quote]

Probably the same, as it is harder to keep the pressure the wider the surface area. Hence fighter jets & Learjets can hit 50,000ft
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(admin &#064; Jun 16 2006, 09&#58;54 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Probably the same, as it is harder to keep the pressure the wider the surface area. Hence fighter jets & Learjets can hit 50,000ft
    [/b][/quote]

So that means that I wont fart so much on a A380? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Hmmm... we're getting very technical now As long as the cabin is pressurised, frequency of flatulation should not vary too much? A different matter all round if it were not pressurised! Apparently, climbers fart uncontrollably at altitudes above 11,000 feet, a condition known as High Altitude Flatus Expulsion. Climbing Everest must be such fun
    Oh dear... is this what a thread on Qatar Airways has degenerated into!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information