Thread: different surnames on documents

Respected Member sweet_cookie08's Avatar

different surnames on documents

been a while since i visited this forum. hello to everyone been busy at work lately.

When I met my hubby (met him in London May 2006), I am still married (in papers only but been separated for 7 years already), that time until November of last year I'm still using my ex's surname. It was only last November 2007 that my annulment was granted. So when my hubby first came here in June and we travelled to Bohol for some holiday, I'm still using my ex's surname in bookings flights, hotels, etc. I was just able to use my maiden name again after my annulment. My current hubby and I got married only last April and I've started changing my surname to use my new husband's surname. Would it affect my application because some documents would show my name before using my ex's surname, then some documents would show my maiden name and latest documents would show my new name, bearing my new husband's name? SHould my hubby mention this to his sponsorship letter? What do I need to do so as the ECO won't get confused with my documents?

Hi sweet_cookie08

I would provide a covering letter which explains any of the things that you think could confuse the ECO, raise questions or make it easier for him to say no.

I would have thought that many others before you have been in the same situation so it should be familiar to him/her but better to make saying yes easier di ba?

Good look to you!
    Be responsible with little so that you can be trusted with much!!

Quote Originally Posted by Piamed View Post
    Hi sweet_cookie08

I would provide a covering letter which explains any of the things that you think could confuse the ECO, raise questions or make it easier for him to say no.

I would have thought that many others before you have been in the same situation so it should be familiar to him/her but better to make saying yes easier di ba?

Good look to you!
    THanks Piamed

I'm arranging my documents and I noticed that with my documents, I'm using 3 different surnames! That a bit got me worried so I decided to go online tonight and post a question here. So it is me who should write a cover letter explaining about my documents showing diffent surnames? would that be enough? Or should I still secure an affidavit of discrepancies in surnames?

I don't think an affidavit would be required. Pia and I inculded evidence ith bore her maiden name as they were accumulated before we married. They should understand that. Same with yahoo ID etc, as not everyone uses their actual name.

I think you should provide a covering letter for sure. The objective of the covering letter is to strengthen your application by draw everything together and adressing any discrepancies. It will be ok, i'm sure. Good luck. Toks
    Be responsible with little so that you can be trusted with much!!

Quote Originally Posted by Piamed View Post
    I don't think an affidavit would be required. Pia and I inculded evidence ith bore her maiden name as they were accumulated before we married. They should understand that. Same with yahoo ID etc, as not everyone uses their actual name.

I think you should provide a covering letter for sure. The objective of the covering letter is to strengthen your application by draw everything together and adressing any discrepancies. It will be ok, i'm sure. Good luck. Toks

Respected Member
    Yes, I agree to what most of people said here about preparing a Cover Letter discussing and clearing out things like this. I have never been in this kind of situation but for me it's really an excellent chance to explain this in a concise, clear and accurate cover letter. Clarifying it in CL is a good advantage.

Just want to clear the difference of the cover letter and sponsorhip letter. My hubby is the one responsible for the sponsorhip letter and I will make my cover letter stating the discrepancies of names used in my documents. What else should be included in my cover later?

Thanks Kimmi and Jamz! Nice to meet you here Jamz

Respected Member
    For me I think, yes, you could mention the issues you have about your surname in your cover letter.

When I sponsored my family, the contents of my sponsorship letter were focusing on my Financials and Employment, aim to be with my family, my plans for them when they are here in the UK like the accommodation awaiting them, chid care, school, prospect jobs for the husband, details on their travel / airfare, and little bit of intro about couple's relationship and assurance that family will not be a liability to the country because even though they cannot help me in the finances, I can support them.

When you complete the visa application form there is a space to enter any other names that you have been known by.

Enter your current, previous married and maiden names here explaining which is which.

Quote Originally Posted by nethlewy View Post
    When you complete the visa application form there is a space to enter any other names that you have been known by.

Enter your current, previous married and maiden names here explaining which is which.
    There is also a section at the end of the application form before the checklist where you could give a detailed explaination about this:

7.1 Is there any other information you wish to be considered as part of your application?

Iain.

thanks IainBusby and Nethlewy

hello sweet_cookie08,

We were almost in the same boat, with my case my husband stated my other name in his sponsorship letter. Just follow what has been advise by some of the forum members above too and you will be fine.
    A relationship founded in GOD will last forever and will always compromise trust and happiness, as all good thoughts are derived from wisdom and faith,and trust .

Thread Information