Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: She's a Catholic; He's not!

Religions are only concocted to be able to run peoples lives, my lady is Catholic and I just read David Icke books...I respect her beliefs and she does not understand mine...the perfect relationship....hahaha..I remember my Step Grandad who was in the Orchestra in Berkenhau concentration camp telling me a story..He told me thousands of innocent people called upon God before they were gassed, but they were never helped by him, none of them...but I also know someone who swears blind she was healed by the power of faith in God...Funny thing Religion..Each to their own I think..

Faith and religion are not necessarily synonymous. God helps people in a variety of ways and not necessarily in ways that unbelievers such as yourself can immediately comprehend. Many good people lead great lives without a belief in God. Good for them.

My faith determines who I am. When my father, who I loved dearly and is my role model, died, I had a choice. I could have seen things as many unbelievers invariably would, that God did not save him and never helped me.

Instead I saw things as practising Christians should and some unbelievers can. I thanked God for having given me the father I had and for allowing me to have had him as long as my siblings and I did. That does not mean i do not grieve for him no longer being here. My father passed away almost 11 years ago and I still feel the pain often.

There are so so many people who can attribute the poor lives they have to the type of father they had. We were helped. My mother knew a joy and companionship many women will never know. My siblings and I enjoyed a loving paternal relationship which many will never have.

For that alone He is worthy of my praise!
    Be responsible with little so that you can be trusted with much!!

Respected Member
    Interesting and respectful though this exchange of views is, it is getting away from the original question. My wife and I have no problem at all because we respect and love each other. However her family cannot understand that I don't share their faith because everyone they know is RC and it is difficult for them to conceive of another viewpoint. I get great pressure to "support" their local church because I am the rich white guy and they are expected to be able to twist my arm. When I refuse, or try to put conditions on any gift that it must be distributed to the poor and needy, it causes a few problems. I got very upset that they wanted to adorn their building with expensive statues and other fanciful decoration, expecting me to pay, whilst people were starving close by.
    I once visited Jerusalam and stood by the Western Wall and inside the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. The feeling by the Western Wall was of respectful reverance and a connection to history. It had a truly magical atmosphere. Inside the church are a series of chapels for some of the various branches of Christianity, well the older established ones at least. The feeling there was much more competitive and close to the "rock" was downright unruly. The only place I felt came close to being inspirational was in the Coptic chapel, which was completely unadorned and gave off a simple message of love for your fellow man. This of course proves nothing. Faith is personal but I do think the churches sometimes do their best to alienate people by putting their own spin on what is a good message and a sensible way for us to live together.

Quote Originally Posted by David House View Post
    I do think the churches sometimes do their best to alienate people by putting their own spin on what is a good message and a sensible way for us to live together.
    I agree with that profoundly that 'some' churches behave in that way. That is often the difference between one being religious and another practising a faith! To me, what you describe is more a thing of the individuals involved rather than being religion related.

It is unfortunate that you are receiving pressure to do what you describe as adorning churches rather than helping the needy. I hope that will change mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Having a Manc for a father........nothing much worse than that eh?

(He'll answer "apart from having a scouse one )
    apart from having many different scouse fathers, one for each day of the week

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    but i confess i wasn't too happy when my misses told me, our 7yr old daughter had gone to confession i asked her whats she got to confess about ?
    Brilliant, coming from a Manc too

Quote Originally Posted by Piamed View Post
    It is clear from so many of your postings that you and your wife have a loving approach to things hence you having minimal problems and mutual resolution when you do disagree.
    , sorry piamed

i think you've got me mixed up with someone else

the things i've said about her on here but if she knew i was on here , she would at what i've said, as little of it is true

many times i've posted on here, making fun of the misses, trying to get a reaction from the filipina's on here , but nope, no bad rep, no replies to my posts, even when i said i would make the misses sit on the floor, and the dog would sit on the sofa after it cost me £1,000 for an op for the dog..

most filipina's are too reserved and too polite to answer back , my misses use to be like that, but now she says whats on her mind , even to the point of, when she hears a scouser on tv, " a scouser", and many times i've had to say, shes not a scouser , shes irish, or a brummie of gordie , but shes getting there

, sorry piamed

i think you've got me mixed up with someone else

the things i've said about her on here but if she knew i was on here , she would at what i've said, as little of it is true

many times i've posted on here, making fun of the misses, trying to get a reaction from the filipina's on here , but nope, no bad rep, no replies to my posts, even when i said i would make the misses sit on the floor, and the dog would sit on the sofa after it cost me £1,000 for an op for the dog..

most filipina's are too reserved and too polite to answer back , my misses use to be like that, but now she says whats on her mind , even to the point of, when she hears a scouser on tv, " a scouser", and many times i've had to say, shes not a scouser , shes irish, or a brummie of gordie , but shes getting there
    You both sound a wonderful couple! I'll try and get back to sleep now. This waiting is a killer!

Banned

Thumbs up

Looking at some recent posts it is clear that a number of boyfriends/husbands on this forum are not Catholics and some are not Christians. So my question is, how do you manage the situation when your religious are philosophical viewpoints are different?
    For me, one word that encompasses a lifestyle "Respect".
    We respect a girlfriend's/wife's beliefs and they respect ours.
    Now dialogue into the why's and wherefores should only be undertaken if both parties remain calm

I asked my GF (I will call her my fiancée only after I have asked her father for her hand in marriage, yes, I am old-fashioned that way) if we could have a civil wedding and she kindly agreed to this.
    I would have felt like a hypocrite to be married in a church as I am an atheist.
    How to manage the situation?
    I think it is important to discuss these things at the outset of a relationship so as not to have misunderstanding later.
    There are so many much more important things in life to think about.
    It seems to me that most people in the UK think the same as me.
    Attendances in church are continually decreasing, people have had enough of mindless indoctrination.
    My religion? Love, honour and (sometimes) obey my soon-to-be wife
    Give as much as I can to her in emotional ways and hope to receive a little back.

Banned
    Faith and religion are not necessarily synonymous. God helps people in a variety of ways and not necessarily in ways that unbelievers such as yourself can immediately comprehend. Many good people lead great lives without a belief in God. Good for them.

My faith determines who I am. When my father, who I loved dearly and is my role model, died, I had a choice. I could have seen things as many unbelievers invariably would, that God did not save him and never helped me.

Instead I saw things as practising Christians should and some unbelievers can. I thanked God for having given me the father I had and for allowing me to have had him as long as my siblings and I did. That does not mean i do not grieve for him no longer being here. My father passed away almost 11 years ago and I still feel the pain often.

There are so so many people who can attribute the poor lives they have to the type of father they had. We were helped. My mother knew a joy and companionship many women will never know. My siblings and I enjoyed a loving paternal relationship which many will never have.

For that alone He is worthy of my praise!
    I respect your beliefs Piamed and hope you do the same for people who prefer to spend their time and thoughts on what they perceive to be more important than religion.
    My father is Catholic and regularly goes to church.
    He never brings up religious thoughts with me, and I truly admire him for that.
    We speak on the phone most days, he is my hero

Quote Originally Posted by aposhark View Post
    For me, one word that encompasses a lifestyle "Respect".
    We respect a girlfriend's/wife's beliefs and they respect ours.
    Now dialogue into the why's and wherefores should only be undertaken if both parties remain calm
    I think I know which of you has to remain calm and its not you.

I asked my GF if we could have a civil wedding and she kindly agreed to this.
    I would have felt like a hypocrite to be married in a church as I am an atheist.
    How to manage the situation?
    Pia and I were going to get married in a civil ceremony as we were initially told that we could not get married in a catholic church as I am not a Catholic. I was told I would have to baptised a Catholic which I could find no scriptural basis for.

My biblical references about that and communion were not considered by the priest. Then suddenly, the Cathedral announced that it was ok but I could not partake in communion. I said ok, that my mother and I would bless our own bread and wine but during the service I was offered it and took it.

I think it is important to discuss these things at the outset of a relationship so as not to have misunderstanding later.
    There are so many much more important things in life to think about.
    It is very important to discuss these things at the outset as for many practising believers it is the most important thing in their life.

It seems to me that most people in the UK think the same as me.
    sad but quite true.

people have had enough of mindless indoctrination.
    You started off by saying you respect your wife's beliefs. This particular statement does appear to be at odds with your earlier assertion and the next quote.

Give as much as I can to her in emotional ways ....
    You are surely entitled to your views/beliefs and we should all give each others views/beliefs respect whether contrary to our own or not as you said mate.

Just my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by aposhark View Post
    Brilliant, coming from a Manc too
    i'll have you know aopshark my morals and standards are just as good if not better than anyone elses

and as some have said on here, religion helps them get thru life and difficult times, well laughter for me and remembering good times has done that for me..

and as some have said on here, religion helps them get thru life and difficult times, well laughter for me and remembering good times has done that for me..

Banned
    Sometimes, hubby accompany me inside the church , but mostly he looks for a bar and drink there while waiting for me.

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    Sometimes, hubby accompany me inside the church , but mostly he looks for a bar and drink there while waiting for me.
    Now that's a MAN
    Keith - Administrator

That's because YOU told him it wasn't so he shut up!

well, that's LOVE Boss

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    same with u Ate Penny, hubby accompany me into the church and then sometimes he waits for me outside..Its just a matter of respect and open communication.

london well away from those people up norf
    For all those whose Hubbies go to Church do you also go to the pub or football with your MR?

Quote Originally Posted by andypaul View Post
    For all those whose Hubbies go to Church do you also go to the pub or football with your MR?
    Oh yes Kuya Andy, in my case I dont drink or smoke but I go to the pub with chuck especially when we go down in England and he orders me J20..

london well away from those people up norf
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmi View Post
    Oh yes Kuya Andy, in my case I dont drink or smoke but I go to the pub with chuck especially when we go down in England and he orders me J20..

No need to drink alshol or smoke but going to a proper local is a great part of British Life.

Cant beat a nice J20

No need to drink alshol or smoke but going to a proper local is a great part of British Life.

Cant beat a nice J20
    oh yes Kuya Andy, I also enjoyed watching people there inside the pub, observing their different personalities and drinking J20..

I aalso love J20! Not a pub person but thay have some nice wine bars in Leeds! All of them so much nicer for me now that smoking in public establishments is banned.

Piamed...you live in Leeds? wow....that explains it all..You'll need plenty of Faith living there....I come from Gods own city...Bradford....

Been here almost 4 years and I'm still learning the language! Used to go to Bradford Uni library when i was researching for my doctorate. Seems a nice place. Many great Indian restaurants!

Banned
    Yes, I go to Pubs with him although I don't drink and don't smoke. But I like Pubs in Germany and Holland. Some Pubs have area for dancing and we dance Hubby don't dance, his both feet are both left when dancing. That's makes me feel bad because he always stepped on my feet

God is not happy with the direction of this thread. One minute talking about the Almighty, the next you lot are chin wagging about

That'll be 25 Hail Mary's and 6 pints of Guiness......
    Keith - Administrator

God is not happy with the direction of this thread. One minute talking about the Almighty, the next you lot are chin wagging about

That'll be 25 Hail Mary's and 6 pints of Guiness......
    Amazing how threads develop

Amazing how threads develop
    We call it EVOLUTION
    Keith - Administrator

We call it EVOLUTION
    In order to evolve it first has to be created!

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Get some tips here

Hi all, Whatever it may be and however it may be, there is no mental walls and religion for Love, if it so then its not a love, now you can get some perfect tips from an outstanding dating site ever been, because i brought much happiness from this dating site, ####################################################you......iam sure about that

Another who doesn't read the rules
    Keith - Administrator

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information