PDA

View Full Version : You're Fired!

stevewool
7th February 2017, 08:57
We have a new driver and he started just over 1 month ago, infact he has been with us 4 weeks and counting today 2 days and out of those 22 working days he has been off the last 7 days.
We get the phone call " i am not well and i shall be in touch", that was on the Monday morning, Tuesday no call, Wednesday we get a message i will be in work Thursday, Thursday no show later we get the call sorry about this but i will be in Friday i promise. Well Friday came but he did not and again no message from him at all.
Monday we get a phone call fro him at 11am , " did you get my text" NO," i must have sent it to the land line" he said, i am sorry about last week i had the trots and now my teeth are hurting but i promise i shall be i tomorrow ( Tuesday).
Well i want to get rid of him , and i am happy to tell him he is not for us and we may as well part company now rather then have a problem like this in the coming months.
Here is the problem the owner says we cant do that,and i say he is in his probation still so we have our rights to do this.
Well we have to be careful he says and maybe this could be because he is a black English man, now what they hell has that to do with someone who has let us down to many times i such a short time i have no idea .
We shall see if he does show up and what is to be done , i am just a cog in this machine just like the other cogs we have to fit and work together, plus its not my company and i just get paid each month, maybe i should just let them do what they are wanting, rather then when asking my opinion.
Before anyone asks the question we have Asians / Polish and White people working for us and they are fantastic workers, well most are .

Tawi2
7th February 2017, 09:38
Dont be a cog in the machine,be a spanner in its works :wink: give him the tin-tac,he is unreliable and still a probationer,the problem will escalate as he gets his feet further under the table and becomes more comfortable working/shirking for you.

grahame 1
7th February 2017, 09:46
If i remember correctly you can get rid of someone who has started work for you at the end of 12 wks but you must have had REGULAR appraisals about every 2 wks explaining where they need to improve, and what they are doing well. have written evidence that you have talked to him at each appraisal about is attendance and the need to improve or he will be let go. If there is no improvement at the end of 12 wks tell him he no longer works for you. I was a Department manager for Sainsbury's and we had these assessments for every new starter.

stevewool
7th February 2017, 11:43
Well today Tuesday, no show from this person and no call or text too.
If we get a call it's a weeks notice for him, and he can choose wether to work it or not.

Terpe
7th February 2017, 15:27
If i remember correctly you can get rid of someone who has started work for you at the end of 12 wks but you must have had REGULAR appraisals about every 2 wks explaining where they need to improve, and what they are doing well. have written evidence that you have talked to him at each appraisal about is attendance and the need to improve or he will be let go. If there is no improvement at the end of 12 wks tell him he no longer works for you. I was a Department manager for Sainsbury's and we had these assessments for every new starter.

This is good advice.
Steve, may be time for a written unless the driver can come up with a medical certificate.

At any rate, when the driver does return to work he needs to have an interview about his medical issues.
Steve, doesn't the company have policy and protocols on this ?

stevewool
7th February 2017, 15:40
This is good advice.
Steve, may be time for a written unless the driver can come up with a medical certificate.

At any rate, when the driver does return to work he needs to have an interview about his medical issues.
Steve, doesn't the company have policy and protocols on this ?

The problem with our privately owned company is they just let it carry on and then try to bully you to leave your job, like giving you a crap lorry and a crap weeks work and so on,
Don't get me wrong I have been here now over 37 years so it's not all bad.
He is in tomorrow and the owners son needs to see him and as he says he will give him his notice, seeing is believing.
Tomorrow will come and suddenly something will pop up and it will be left to me to talk to him and give him a chance to work like we would want him too,
Some people you can read and I am afraid this one is trouble if he stays.
But hay I may be gone sooner then later so why worry over something like this